Sportsnet: Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli prepared to match any offer sheet on Leon Draisaitl

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Well if McDavid can get 13.25 M there is no reason why Draisaitl couldn't get 9.5M atleast after the season he just had.

If the Oilers are not willing to do that, he can force their hand and basically ask them if he is worth it to them or not.

Sure the cap won't be easy to handle for the Oilers but if McD gets 13.5 (which is very reasonable but also not a huge discount) why should Draisaitl be the one that takes the big sacrifice?

If I am Bergevin, I am drawing up a 5yr x 9.65M offer right now...

It was one season. How many other players of Drai's caliber got at least $9.5M on their second contract. McDavid is not a comparable for Drai. Plenty of other very good/non-generational players have signed contracts in the last few seasons to use as comparables.

Yet all the people who so badly want the Oilers to sink insist on only comparing him to McDavid.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Can't wait until tomorrow when the Oilers announce 97 signs for $97m/8 (maybe $100m) and 29 signs for $64m/8 and all this non-sense talk can stop.

Question is which 3C we are going after.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Also a lot of people who don't have a clue about the rules of offersheeting a player frequenting this thread. They're just here to throw shade on the Oilers.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
yah if he signs an offer sheet for money he does take some risk of overpricing himself and thus becoming an immovable contract.....it's justifiable as a player getting what teams are willing to pay.....but may not be the best move for him if he wants to have a good career....imo theres a good reason why rfa's typically don't get too much too soon as it can hurt their legacy and their longevity

I think most RFAs don't get "too much" "too soon" bc most of them aren't worth offersheeting. Top ones are but GMs seem reluctant to do that. It's more likely here bc McDavid's contract (along with other contracts like Lucic, RNH, Russell) could give the Oilers cap problems. That makes an offersheet a win-win, especially for teams in the Pacific. If Edmonton doesn't match, they get a good 1C, which are hard to find. They probably overpaid but they'd have to do the same, either in assets or $$, to ever get a good 1C. (Unless they luck out like with Seguin or thornton but no one in their right mind would count on that.) If Edmonton matches, they have cap problems. They can potentially solve them but it will come at a cost and they may lose other good players or won't be able to easily fill holes down the line.

It doesn't mean that someone will offersheet Drai, only that it's more likely than with most players.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think most RFAs don't get "too much" "too soon" bc most of them aren't worth offersheeting. Top ones are but GMs seem reluctant to do that. It's more likely here bc McDavid's contract (along with other contracts like Lucic, RNH, Russell) could give the Oilers cap problems. That makes an offersheet a win-win, especially for teams in the Pacific. If Edmonton doesn't match, they get a good 1C, which are hard to find. They probably overpaid but they'd have to do the same, either in assets or $$, to ever get a good 1C. (Unless they luck out like with Seguin or thornton but no one in their right mind would count on that.) If Edmonton matches, they have cap problems. They can potentially solve them but it will come at a cost and they may lose other good players or won't be able to easily fill holes down the line.

It doesn't mean that someone will offersheet Drai, only that it's more likely than with most players.

i was more saying it is not necessarily whats best for the player's career.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
i was more saying it is not necessarily whats best for the player's career.

I was saying that they don't do it bc most don't have that option. :laugh:

I.e., more would do it if they could.

Edit to add: If top RFAs started getting more (e.g., bc offersheets became more common), teams would adjust. Now they rely on cheap RFAs. If good RFAs were no longer cheap, they'd pay older guys less or 2nd or 3rd liners less or something. The total amount going to players is always 50% so if top RFAs got more, good GMs would figure out how to make that work. It shouldn't stop good GMs from building a winner.

Last edited:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I hope he is, because I took that bet. :)

Note: Though our bet wasn't about offersheet, but the AAV...under or above $8.0m per.

I might lose that one. I made that bet before I knew about the McMillions contract.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
enough is enough.
I have a wager out that Drai contract will be under 8M
I'll put out another wager that Drai does not sign an offer sheet.
It's $20 starbucks giftcard for the first poster on this board who's giving lip service about offer sheets. Money, meet mouth.

Seems I owe KomicJ a Starbucks gift card. PM sent to pay up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad