Post-Game Talk: Oilers Gain Ground on Sabres!

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I wasn't surprised at the outcome.

Calgary has done that to a few teams this year, if you've been watching them. I've watched 4 or 5 Calgary games myself, so I do not have a lot of sample size's.

I know people are sick of hearing about it, but I have to say that the commentary last night was atrocious. We had friends over and my buddy's wife started chirping about the Oilers second goal not being shown on the replay. Nothing. Nada. 19.

Then as the Oilers were playing well after the goal, they went on about how the "comeback kids" on Calgary would take care of business.

What's up with CBC anyways. They used to be good at leaving the homerism alone.....for the most part.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I wasn't surprised at the outcome.

Calgary has done that to a few teams this year, if you've been watching them. I've watched 4 or 5 Calgary games myself, so I do not have a lot of sample size's.

I know people are sick of hearing about it, but I have to say that the commentary last night was atrocious. We had friends over and my buddy's wife started chirping about the Oilers second goal not being shown on the replay. Nothing. Nada. 19.

Then as the Oilers were playing well after the goal, they went on about how the "comeback kids" on Calgary would take care of business.

What's up with CBC anyways. They used to be good at leaving the homerism alone.....for the most part.

I really dont get this POV.
I understand that lots of Oiler fans are clamoring for anything positive to be said about the Oilers. That said when broadcasters look at every aspect of each team (in this case) 1 team is pretty good and the other team is ef'ing terrible.
So of course the expectation is the the ef'ing terrible team will usually find a way to lose which is exactly what happened.

They were exactly right on the mark in talking up the league leading Flames come from behind record....their Norris candidate...their solid later round picks...their quick rebuild...etc.

What on earth would they have to say about the Oilers? That they dont suck as as bad as they did last month/year/decade?

I am sure the general audience would love to hear all about that over and over. :sarcasm:

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I'd say, just skip the rest of the regular season and playoffs and just award the Stanley Cup to the Flames for their performance against the Oilers last night. No team in the league could have surmounted a two goal deficit against the Oilers in the third period and go on to win the game. It just....doesn't...happen

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I don't know why everybody is getting so upset about the commentators filling airspace with Flames' praise. I mean, they're an exciting, overachieving team that are fun to watch. Stacked side by side against the Oilers, they pretty much dominate every single statistical category. I don't even know what you're going to have to pull to praise the Oilers in a game like this. Brodie-Giordano are an all-world pairing this year, but, uh, Klefbom has looked lretty good, especially in terms of his teammates. The young core of Monahan and Gaudreau is looking really good, and uh, RNH is on pace for like 52 points, which is, kinda good.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I don't know why everybody is getting so upset about the commentators filling airspace with Flames' praise. I mean, they're an exciting, overachieving team that are fun to watch. Stacked side by side against the Oilers, they pretty much dominate every single statistical category. I don't even know what you're going to have to pull to praise the Oilers in a game like this. Brodie-Giordano are an all-world pairing this year, but, uh, Klefbom has looked lretty good, especially in terms of his teammates. The young core of Monahan and Gaudreau is looking really good, and uh, RNH is on pace for like 52 points, which is, kinda good.

Oiler fans are upset because a year ago the teams were close in being at the bottom. Now the Flames have skyrocketed and the Oilers are worst.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I really dont get this POV.
I understand that lots of Oiler fans are clamoring for anything positive to be said about the Oilers. That said when broadcasters look at every aspect of each team (in this case) 1 team is pretty good and the other team is ef'ing terrible.
So of course the expectation is the the ef'ing terrible team will usually find a way to lose which is exactly what happened.

They were exactly right on the mark in talking up the league leading Flames come from behind record....their Norris candidate...their solid later round picks...their quick rebuild...etc.

What on earth would they have to say about the Oilers? That they dont suck as as bad as they did last month/year/decade?

I am sure the general audience would love to hear all about that over and over. :sarcasm:

I suppose I should have added that although I didn't like the perceived homerism, they were exactly on the mark with what was going to happen.

And I'm not gullible enough to disagree with that. Now or at the time.

But my point is that the CBC crew sounded like Calgary homers with....get this...2 Canadian teams playing.

To me they came across more as cheering for a Flames comeback (to prove themselves right), than making an honest play by play call.

So I agree with your response to the point that they were right.

I do not agree with the obvious way they went about it, from the play by play to whoever the director or producer or whoever the hell calls replays for TV and stuff like that. <--sorry for getting so technical. :D

EDIT: I just read the rest of the responses. My reasoning here applies to all of your comments. I'd expect the commentary from something like SNW, but not CBC. I understand and actually agree with many of your views (especially that Calgary is an fun team to watch). But it came across to me like beating a dead horse, kicking someone who is already down, or poking your fingers in the eyes of a blind man. We know they suck, the nation knows they suck, hell, Obama probably even knows that they suck. Why rub it in.

Last edited:

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
I'd say, just skip the rest of the regular season and playoffs and just award the Stanley Cup to the Flames for their performance against the Oilers last night. No team in the league could have surmounted a two goal deficit against the Oilers in the third period and go on to win the game. It just....doesn't...happen

Actually true because the really difficult part of it is first getting behind the oilers by two goals to come back from. I'd honestly be interested to hear how many two goal leads we've had this year total.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
The problem with the commentary is that Mike Johnson is just terrible at his job. Absolutely brutal.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

^for years it seems like every time the Flames beat the Oilers, their fans think they have won the Stanley Cup. it must be a residual feeling from decades gone by when the Oilers won all the cups they did, usually at the expense of the Flames. :sarcasm:

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
^for years it seems like every time the Flames beat the Oilers, their fans think they have won the Stanley Cup. it must be a residual feeling from decades gone by when the Oilers won all the cups they did, usually at the expense of the Flames. :sarcasm:

Wish I could have that feeling.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I suppose I should have added that although I didn't like the perceived homerism, they were exactly on the mark with what was going to happen.

And I'm not gullible enough to disagree with that. Now or at the time.

But my point is that the CBC crew sounded like Calgary homers with....get this...2 Canadian teams playing.

To me they came across more as cheering for a Flames comeback (to prove themselves right), than making an honest play by play call.

So I agree with your response to the point that they were right.

I do not agree with the obvious way they went about it, from the play by play to whoever the director or producer or whoever the hell calls replays for TV and stuff like that. <--sorry for getting so technical. :D

EDIT: I just read the rest of the responses. My reasoning here applies to all of your comments. I'd expect the commentary from something like SNW, but not CBC. I understand and actually agree with many of your views (especially that Calgary is an fun team to watch). But it came across to me like beating a dead horse, kicking someone who is already down, or poking your fingers in the eyes of a blind man. We know they suck, the nation knows they suck, hell, Obama probably even knows that they suck. Why rub it in.

I think that there is a well deserved lack of respect for the Oilers organization. This team has top draft pick after top draft pick and it is STILL one of the worst teams in the NHL. There is incompetence right from the owner and the POHO on down to the Amateur scouts.

Do they deserve any positive commentary? Certainly not.

So I disagree with you in that I think that if every network talked about the reality of how bad this team really is and has been for the better part of a decade it might actually create the motivation for Katz to do something about it.

The worst broadcasts on TV are the regional SN games with Gene Principe...everything is sunshine and rainbows for that crew.
Its sickening.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
It's just really sad hearing the commentators speak about the Oilers. Ya they aren't a good team but the level of disgust that they speak with is terrible. And how they put the Flames up, like c'mon. They are playing better than us yes, but they are back to the same team just before Iginla was traded. Tweener. Not good enough to do anything in the playoffs if they even make it. They are an 8-12 team in the West. So stop singing their praises. The only reason they MAY make it this year is b/c of the weak bottom half of the conference and nothing more.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
It's just really sad hearing the commentators speak about the Oilers. Ya they aren't a good team but the level of disgust that they speak with is terrible. And how they put the Flames up, like c'mon. They are playing better than us yes, but they are back to the same team just before Iginla was traded. Tweener. Not good enough to do anything in the playoffs if they even make it. They are an 8-12 team in the West. So stop singing their praises. The only reason they MAY make it this year is b/c of the weak bottom half of the conference and nothing more.

The Oilers are an embarrassment and should be spoken of publicly with a level of disgust that mirrors their inability to improve in the standings.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The problem with the commentary is that Mike Johnson is just terrible at his job. Absolutely brutal.

Mike Johnston is to commentating what the Edmonton Oilers are to hockey. His broadcasting career is emulating his goaltending career except now he doesn't have to wear goalie gear and he's on the other side of the glass from the bench.

Torch

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site

Also, it was a Flames home game and the commentators do tend to dedicate themselves more to home teams on these telecasts.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Mike Johnston is to commentating what the Edmonton Oilers are to hockey. His broadcasting career is emulating his goaltending career except now he doesn't have to wear goalie gear and he's on the other side of the glass from the bench.

Mike Johnson was a forward, but he still wasn't great at that either.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Mike Johnson was a forward, but he still wasn't great at that either.

For some reason I thought he was a goalie too up until last year when my roommate corrected me and it blew my mind. I wonder why that is? Does he just come off as a goalie? Do broadcasters just seem to hire more ex goalies?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad