Post-Game Talk: Oilers Gain Ground on Sabres!

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Or as a fan of this team forever, you are done trying to analyze what is so damn obvious to even a Tier II fan like me that you just can't do anything else but rant.

Our goaltending has sucked for years and NO ONE seems to want to address it while 29 other teams don't have a problem with it.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Aulie

Did anyone comment on why Aulie was on the ice on the PP chance the Flames had in the 3rd that they took the lead on? I thought he struggled all night, and he's basically a minor leaguer, yet he's thrown out there in a critical part of the game. Couldn't believe it!

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Wayne Gretzky trademarked The Great One... Don't throw stones in glass houses.

RNH, Hall, Yak, and Eberle got the same praise when they came into the league guys. Nurse and Draisaitl will get praise too. That's how it works when teams have good rookies... Again, stones in glass houses.

Difference is, 99 was the best player in the world. Lil' John is not even the best player on his team.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
Difference is, 99 was the best player in the world. Lil' John is not even the best player on his team.

I cant believe people are still harping on this nonsense.

The real difference is that Wayne did when the landscape of professional sports and endorsements changed and it became a necessity.

Its such a non-issue its hilarious. I get that it seems pretentious but as someone with a business background I also get that he couldnt wait or someone looking to make money would beat him to it.

Which is exactly what happened.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

Do you honestly believe Gaudreau went to some office and got a patent for Johnny Hockey? Or even Gretzky? Have you ever heard of a hockey agent?

On another note, directed at fight lovers, league needs more cerebral players like Johnny Hockey and less brain fart knuckle throwers like Gazdic, what a dismal fight he was involved with last night.

If you want to watch a fight go watch cage fights out in some backcountry. Hell you could pick up rock em sock em robots for better entertainment.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
After last night I vowed to never watch a Edmonton-Calgary game again
So congrats Oilers and Esks. You have sucked the battle out of this Albertan

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Yeah, I'd much rather watch Edmonton/Vancouver. There's no BoA anymore. It's dead.

Yeah, Edmonton-Vancouver games are actually pretty enjoyable to watch imo. Maybe because we actually win some of the games :laugh:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
A reminder to lurking Flames fans that this is not their board. Do not post here specifically to annoy or start fights. You will get infractions

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I didn't get to watch the game but I followed it on my phone. I had to laugh at the meltdown, but it was exciting to be leading up till then.

If Aulie was so bad maybe we can try Marincin again? Just a thought (that many others seem to have). I know he's bad for OKC but I think he could do better up here.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
It blows my mind that some people think that the Oilers will surge past Carolina and Arizona and might even jump ahead of Toronto. The team is still a toilet and wait until they trade Petry, it ain't gonna be pretty.

Surge past? I think they will kind of plod past, but I don't think I have ever heard surged.

They still only have two NHL-ready centerman. They have only two or three NHL-ready Dmen.

That being said, it is impressive what Nelson has done so far.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eberle had a good game, one of the few Oilers that did, but seriously Jordan, you think its a good idea to trash talk Giordano after beating him on a fake when its 2-0?

**** man in team sports that just riles up opponents. You don't mock a team captain on a team like the Calgary Flames. Damn fricken sure Flames didn't need more motivation to beat the sorry Oilers arse one more time.

Team has no resilience. Played well for 30mins. Stopped doing what got them there in last 30.

Tactically we did a really good job limiting time and space for first 30. We entirely got away from that and started tentatively watching the game and hanging back nervously by the 3rd. The way we started the 3rd it was evident the Oil were going to try to protect the lead for 20mins. wrong approach. When we were playing well we were moving the puck effectively with speed and supporting transition very well.

Its a shame because Nelson is a great improvement in coaching and had the team playing the best hockey I'd seen the team play against Calgary. Until they entirely relapsed and got away from the gameplan.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Eberle had a good game, one of the few Oilers that did, but seriously Jordan, you think its a good idea to trash talk Giordano after beating him on a fake when its 2-0?

**** man in team sports that just riles up opponents. You don't mock a team captain on a team like the Calgary Flames. Damn fricken sure Flames didn't need more motivation to beat the sorry Oilers arse one more time.

Team has no resilience. Played well for 30mins. Stopped doing what got them there in last 30.

Tactically we did a really good job limiting time and space for first 30. We entirely got away from that and started tentatively watching the game and hanging back nervously by the 3rd. The way we started the 3rd it was evident the Oil were going to try to protect the lead for 20mins. wrong approach. When we were playing well we were moving the puck effectively with speed and supporting transition very well.

Its a shame because Nelson is a great improvement in coaching and had the team playing the best hockey I'd seen the team play against Calgary. Until they entirely relapsed and got away from the gameplan.

Agreed!

Torch

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site

He did it (on the advice of his agent) because people already started using the name with his image. His agent was worried that people could use it in a way that would be detrimental to his image if they didn't trademark it. Gaudreau didn't give himself the nickname nor did he ask for people to start making merchandise with it and his image. Fans were doing it and he had to act. (The exact shirt in question said; "Johhny ******'n Hockey" on it and Guadreau's reps didn't want merchandise with crude language associated with their client). When they approached Gaudreau about trademarking the name, it was a surprise to him.

It's not even that rare that a player does this. Kassian trademarked "Kassassin" for crying out loud.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad