Post-Game Talk: Oilers Gain Ground on Sabres!

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Up until last season the Oilers were the golden child of the CBC broadcastin crew and it was sickening. All their problems were glossed over because our kids were supposed to be the next wave of something special. Lots of people on this board were wishing the CBC would stop praising those guys because the hard core fans knew there were serious problems inside this organization and as long as outsiders were blowing smoke up their ***** nothing would be addressed. I'm not going to complain now that the rest of the league not only sees this team how I've been seeing it but is now willing to comment on it too.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I agree that the commentators shouldn't candy coat the games like SN west does (that's why I've been watching the other teams telecasts as much as possible), but this game was pathetic. And again, they're giving so much praise to another pathetic team in Calgary. Calgary stinks! Period. That team is not my bar. I do not was to be like the flames, I want to be a good team. If we get to a point where we become that team and that's our plateau, we're still failures. So they shouldn't be rejoicing that garbage team either. Commentate like it's 2 garbage teams playing, just one playing a bit better than the other.

I haven't watch a leaf game in a long time. Do they tear the leafs apart as well? They should. Buffalo is the worst team in the league followed closely by the leafs. So every Saturday CBC telecast they should be ripping the leafs a new one as bad or worse than they did to us this past weekend.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I agree that the commentators shouldn't candy coat the games like SN west does (that's why I've been watching the other teams telecasts as much as possible), but this game was pathetic. And again, they're giving so much praise to another pathetic team in Calgary. Calgary stinks! Period. That team is not my bar. I do not was to be like the flames, I want to be a good team. If we get to a point where we become that team and that's our plateau, we're still failures. So they shouldn't be rejoicing that garbage team either. Commentate like it's 2 garbage teams playing, just one playing a bit better than the other.

I haven't watch a leaf game in a long time. Do they tear the leafs apart as well? They should. Buffalo is the worst team in the league followed closely by the leafs. So every Saturday CBC telecast they should be ripping the leafs a new one as bad or worse than they did to us this past weekend.

The Flames will get theirs soon enough. When you're top 3 in shot % and save % and 1st in come from behind wins its only a matter of time before the mirage ends. Annoying as hell in the mean time though.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008

Really? You dont wish this team was in the playoffs after one bad year?

How many bad years will it take to satisfy you?

Its been 8 years and this team can barely keep its head above DFL.

You want to know why the commentators were crucifying the Oilers? Its because for years and years the media has chosen the Oilers to be the next, most exciting up and coming team in the league and they were terribly, terribly wrong.

We made them look like idiots for years and now they're getting their revenge.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The Flames will get theirs soon enough. When you're top 3 in shot % and save % and 1st in come from behind wins its only a matter of time before the mirage ends. Annoying as hell in the mean time though.

Any Calgary Flames team being well above 10% in team shot percentage should raise some eyebrows. They have a higher current shot percentage than the highest teams in some NHL seasons.

They've also had some huge timely goals and have made a habit of being able to score exactly when they need it. As we've seen in Toronto and have also seen in Calgary more recently (except Oilers game because..Oilers) the goal scoring and timely goals could and probably will plummet.

Calgary is where they are because they outplay teams. But what happens to teams like Calgary in last 30GP is they start facing clubs that are more serious about the playoff race and that will play harder, and be less likely to be outworked.
In anycase Flames would be a casestudy in first round fodder if they did make it.

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
For some reason I thought he was a goalie too up until last year when my roommate corrected me and it blew my mind. I wonder why that is? Does he just come off as a goalie? Do broadcasters just seem to hire more ex goalies?
Maybe confusing/combining him with Jamie McLennan?
Both former players. Both with TSN for a while. Both were on That's Hockey a lot. Both not very good?
Actually I didn't mind Johnson's comments/analysis much when he was on That's Hockey. Just as a colour commentator (between the benches or whatever) I agree he's not so great.

Anyway, with the Oilers being the Oilers, I don't really care when commentators treat them like they are crap. We all do, why shouldn't they :).

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Some people had a lot of trouble with Mike Johnson's honesty on the broadcast but I agree with everything he said then and on todays show.

I thought that Mike Johnson explained himself quite well regarding the broadcast Sat night.

2nd half hour on Oiiers Now for those that missed it.....

http://www.630ched.com/oilers-now/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad