Friedman: Oilers first round pick "definitely in play"

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Russel will still have value to old-school gms. He's overpaid, which limits the return. Spooner is also overpaid, with retention he might be of interest to a team needing depth scoring (which seems to be the only thing spooner can do if he's doing anything at all). I'm sure Dallas or Colorado might give a middling prospect and a late pick for him. At this point, cap space is more important for edm... though, with chia at the helm I'd be afraid to see what he does with it in free agency
If their deals were expiring this season I would agree with you. But there is no way another team would be willing to carry their caphits into next season unless Edmonton makes it worth their while.
I am pretty sure Edmonton has already put Spooner out there with no bites.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
If their deals were expiring this season I would agree with you. But there is no way another team would be willing to carry their caphits into next season unless Edmonton makes it worth their while.
I am pretty sure Edmonton has already put Spooner out there with no bites.
It will be all about shedding cap, though I'm pretty sure a team can only carry 2 retentions on any given season. By that account, spooner (in theory) would be easier to move with retention, given he only has one additional yr after this. Russel, you're right, will be harder given the additional years and the modified ntc that kicks in next year, and the impending expansion draft that could very well see him needing protection. Still though, crazier things have happened.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Old news.

The interesting and new bit of info is the pushback on Puljujarvi’s availability. It makes me really curious who’s advocating dealing him and who is actually showing some intelligence and patience regarding his development.

I’m actually really wondering if Chiarelli is pushing back here. Katz reportedly wants playoffs and doesn’t much care how it gets done. Since the Seguin deal Chiarelli has been extremely tight fisted with ‘his guys’ - players he’s drafted, not so much about the picks.

Since Chiarelli was hired, he hasn’t traded away a single prospect that was drafted under his reign. Not one.
Plot twist, he only develops if he leaves Edmonton.

Reactions: north49er

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I think this could be a viable option for the Oilers. If they could get a young, scoring winger, far enough along in his development that the Oilers' "development" system can't destroy him, it could work out. They'd be better off getting a player another team ranked highly than trusting their own scouts to find someone with a high pick. They need to change direction somehow and its not like they can get worse. If they keep the pick it will just be more of the same old, same old.

Reactions: north49er

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Think about who I mentioned. Toffoli is on pace for 29 points, Fischer for 22. DeBrusk represents the extreme high end which isn’t likely. We’re most likely looking at younger players that could benefit from a change in scenery. Cap isn’t really an issue with all the deadweight leaving this summer.

You know EDM's cap and impending contract situation more than me, they have 13M in space (assuming 83M cap) with 14 players signed - including 0 goalies. That's not an issue?

Are Fischer and Zacha really 2nd liners? Are they much better than what you currently have?

edit - Toffoli is a fine option though, still signed for one year @ 4.6M. Assume LAK need to take a contract back?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think this could be a viable option for the Oilers. If they could get a young, scoring winger, far enough along in his development that the Oilers' "development" system can't destroy him, it could work out. They'd be better off getting a player another team ranked highly than trusting their own scouts to find someone with a high pick. They need to change direction somehow and its not like they can get worse. If they keep the pick it will just be more of the same old, same old.
Can the Jets just send us their draft list every draft? They draft really well and we..... Well, we don't.

It's not like we'll be picking close together anyway :help:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Can the Jets just send us their draft list every draft? They draft really well and we..... Well, we don't.

It's not like we'll be picking close together anyway :help:

Might have more luck picking whoever the Jets have at 20some than whoever your guys have at 10-13 regardless.

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
f*** this team is disappointing, how do you continue to be idiots and waste so many years of McDavid? Seriously if it keeps up I won’t be mad at McDavid for asking for a trade in fact I’ll encourage it

Jan 21, 2018
**** this team is disappointing, how do you continue to be idiots and waste so many years of McDavid? Seriously if it keeps up I won’t be mad at McDavid for asking for a trade in fact I’ll encourage it

Same thing happened to Tavares except isles fans hate him now so there's a good chance Oiler fans would be just as hurt if McDavid bolted.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
**** this team is disappointing, how do you continue to be idiots and waste so many years of McDavid? Seriously if it keeps up I won’t be mad at McDavid for asking for a trade in fact I’ll encourage it
I do feel for McDavid. I wonder how many points he would be putting up each year if he was on a team that was even half-assedly run.

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
Same thing happened to Tavares except isles fans hate him now so there's a good chance Oiler fans would be just as hurt if McDavid bolted.
Wildly different situations but yeah I know for sure some fans would make him an enemy. I mean a lot of casual fans aren’t the most knowledgeable I mean have you read any teams Facebook page? Half assed fans a lot of times makes the players the enemy when in reality it was the terrible management example~ Taylor Hall

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Have to disagree here cap is very much an issue. We dont have much deadweight leaving this summer.
We can bring in one guy for the top6, thats basically it.

Not when we’re bringing a guy in that maybe makes 4 mil at most. Bury Manning, perma LTIR Sekera, Talbot/Rieder/Petrovic out, cap up 4 mil.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see how they can get much with the cap situation being what it is. They'd have to entice someone to not only trade them a viable top 6 W, but to also take back a contract like Russel's, Sekera's, or Lucic's in order to fit the likely salary. If the W in question has a smaller salary, then you'd have to pay more...way more, because that has value also.

Wild have lots of LHS wings. Parise, Granlund, Zucker, Nino, and could lose one. They would help EDM, but I don't see many scenarios where EDM will be able to send anything of value back, besides picks, as well as a big heaping pile of non performing Cap hit.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You know EDM's cap and impending contract situation more than me, they have 13M in space (assuming 83M cap) with 14 players signed - including 0 goalies. That's not an issue?

Are Fischer and Zacha really 2nd liners? Are they much better than what you currently have?

edit - Toffoli is a fine option though, still signed for one year @ 4.6M. Assume LAK need to take a contract back?

Not really. Koskinen has been serviceable enough and I’d imagine he’d be happy to stay at a small raise. We could replace Talbot with a decent backup and our defence is more or less intact if unspectacular. We’ll have to dump Spooner and bury Manning but it’s not all that dire. 13 mil IN THE RIGHT HANDS ;) could go a long way and that’s before any creativity.

That’s what maybe annoys me the most about this team. We have 1C and 2C locked down. We have a 1LW/1RW depending on who slides over. We have a 2/3/4/5/6+ defenceman. We’ve gotten adequate if erratic goaltending from Koskinen. We HAD a 3C in place to start this season. All Chiarelli had to do was get some halfway decent wingers and we’d have been fine.

Fischer had ~40 points a year ago and has 10 goals. Chayka’s not afraid to deal or to take a shot at a reclamation.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't see how they can get much with the cap situation being what it is. They'd have to entice someone to not only trade them a viable top 6 W, but to also take back a contract like Russel's, Sekera's, or Lucic's in order to fit the likely salary. If the W in question has a smaller salary, then you'd have to pay more...way more, because that has value also.

Wild have lots of LHS wings. Parise, Granlund, Zucker, Nino, and could lose one. They would help EDM, but I don't see many scenarios where EDM will be able to send anything of value back, besides picks, as well as a big heaping pile of non performing Cap hit.

Plus you’re who we’re looking to steal a playoff spot from not just now but going forward, so...

Taras

Oct 17, 2012
Toronto
I do feel for McDavid. I wonder how many points he would be putting up each year if he was on a team that was even half-assedly run.

Just throwing it out there, but imagine a line of:

Kapanen - McDavid - Marner

FYI Kapanen may be available, but for what you guys are willing to offer you most likely will get Johnson.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Kreider for #1 and a B prospect at the deadline so #1 isnt too low. If now, Kreider for #1 and #2.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
It would be an interesting trade to move Puljujarvi for Virtanen.

Virtanen is playing a little better now and is starting to be useful more often than not... Puljujarvi has the much higher ceiling but isn't there yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad