Friedman: Oilers first round pick "definitely in play"

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
3. That said, the Oilers will also scour the market for young, preferably quick attackers who are either on long-term deals or have time before unrestricted free agency. Their first-round pick is definitely in play. Jesse Puljujarvi? As Tuesday developed, there was pushback on his availability. There are some in the organization who want to win now and recognize he has value in the market; there are others who see a player needing patience to develop. The Oilers were interested in Vancouver’s Jake Virtanen at one point, but the Canucks chose to take their time and that’s paying off. It is not easy to tell who will win this argument. What is clear, however, is that the mandate from ownership is to make the playoffs. Edmonton’s also let it be known Ryan Spooner is available. He was acquired on Nov. 16, four days before Ken Hitchcock was hired. Unfortunately, those two are a bad match.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I suspect Puljujarvi and the 1st round pick will be packaged for a very mediocre return. The Oilers are close to a playoff spot, and with Klefbom soon to return, there is some optimism that the team might actually make the playoffs if they could just find a winger for the top 6.

That said, I don't think JP and the pick can land a decent top 6 winger.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
deal.gif

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I have a feeling the 1st doesn't get traded. This feels like every trade deadline, when they post a lot of exciting extra stuff that never happens.

McDonagh, Tatar, Nash, Hartman, Stastny and Brassard were dealt for 1sts in packages at last year's deadline.

Kane and Duchene were traded for protected picks that turned into 2019 1sts. (if the Sharks make the playoffs)

I don't think we'll get 8 1sts dealt this deadline, but 2-3 is possible.

In 2017, Hanzal and Eaves were dealt (latter for a conditional pick) for 1st
2016 was Ladd, Sekera
2015 was Yandle,Perron, Franson, Kane (bigger trade), Vermette
2014 was Martin St Louis
2013 was Iginla, Pomminville, Bouwmeester, Jagr

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I suspect Puljujarvi and the 1st round pick will be packaged for a very mediocre return. The Oilers are close to a playoff spot, and with Klefbom soon to return, there is some optimism that the team might actually make the playoffs if they could just find a winger for the top 6.

That said, I don't think JP and the pick can land a decent top 6 winger.

Is that because Chia is making the deal?

They absolutely should.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Is that because Chia is making the deal?

They absolutely should.

Perhaps they should in an ideal situation, but I don't see it happening. It seems like every deal involving the Oilers ends up with the Oilers getting poor value in return.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
I'm quite terrified at the thought of Chiarelli trading youth for established players in order to save his job. Sucks to say, but I'd rather miss the playoffs than give up important assets for a first round exit. If you really want to trade a pick, save it for the draft when it has more value.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If they moved that 1st to get rid of Lucic in order get a player with a decent contract + term (low value), why not make that trade? They need a shake up and also the cap space. I know Lucic has an NMC, but maybe he'd waive it if Edmonton traded him to a familiar face like Boston or a team that is willing to take on that dead weight of a contract with 15% retained (900k = 5.1m).

Also, I feel like GMs are more willing to take on bad contracts or making trades for picks at the draft, PC should just wait until then but he certainly likes to pull the trigger a lot when he really doesn't have to.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
It'll probably be a 1st + good prospect + Spooner (cap reasons) for Ferland or some crap deal like that. Ferland's cap hit is relatively cheap, and Chia probably loves the guy much more than he should. God I hope that doesn't happen, but I'm not holding my breath that this turns out good if the pick is traded.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
If they moved that 1st to get rid of Lucic in order get a player with a decent contract + term (low value), why not make that trade? They need a shake up and also the cap space. I know Lucic has an NMC, but maybe he'd waive it if Edmonton traded him to a familiar face like Boston or a team that is willing to take on that dead weight of a contract with 15% retained (900k = 5.1m).

Also, I feel like GMs are more willing to take on bad contracts or making trades for picks at the draft, PC should just wait until then but he certainly likes to pull the trigger a lot when he really doesn't have to.
Looch might be the only untradeable asset on the oil. Contract is loaded with bonuses (Ie. Real money) so that nixes budget teams like ott and az; his production isn't good enough for teams in competition to justify a 6m aav either. Then there's the nmc that requires protection in the expansion draft, I can't think of a single team that would opt to protect him over a young productive player. Legit handcuffed. Guys like Russel, spooner, pulu, reider are all tradeable assets that could get moderate varying returns

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
McDonagh, Tatar, Nash, Hartman, Stastny and Brassard were dealt for 1sts in packages at last year's deadline.

Kane and Duchene were traded for protected picks that turned into 2019 1sts. (if the Sharks make the playoffs)

I don't think we'll get 8 1sts dealt this deadline, but 2-3 is possible.

In 2017, Hanzal and Eaves were dealt (latter for a conditional pick) for 1st
2016 was Ladd, Sekera
2015 was Yandle,Perron, Franson, Kane (bigger trade), Vermette
2014 was Martin St Louis
2013 was Iginla, Pomminville, Bouwmeester, Jagr

Yes, but none of those 1sts were listed as available beforehand by the insiders.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Looch might be the only untradeable asset on the oil. Contract is loaded with bonuses (Ie. Real money) so that nixes budget teams like ott and az; his production isn't good enough for teams in competition to justify a 6m aav either. Then there's the nmc that requires protection in the expansion draft, I can't think of a single team that would opt to protect him over a young productive player. Legit handcuffed. Guys like Russel, spooner, pulu, reider are all tradeable assets that could get moderate varying returns

Totally forgot about Lucic needing to be protected in the expansion draft. No way he gets moved, he might as well get comfortable there.

Reactions: BernieParent

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
here are some in the organization who want to win now and recognize he has value in the market; there are others who see a player needing patience to develop.
I wonder who wants to keep him and who wants to trade him? I'm assuming Chiarelli wants to trade him for a quick fix to save his job while Hitchcock is against it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad