Post-Game Talk: Oilers escape with a 6-3 win

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I’m happy we got the win but Bouchard- woof, he’s been awful this year. Can’t hit the net but nails McD and if you’re going to slide on a 2 on 1 you damn well better take away the pass.
Just like Ceci, he’s being asked to do far more than he should be.

This off-season, a top pair, or at the very least, solid top 4 RD who can split minutes with Ceci is our biggest need.

Bouchard playing 3rd pair minutes with PP time while his D game hopefully comes around is exactly where he should be right now.

Nurse new guy
Ekholm Ceci
Kulak Bourchard
Broberg/VD

Until we get an RD to ease the load on the right side like Ekholm has been doing for the LD, we’re going to see guys like Ceci and Bouchard struggling to swing above their weight class.

The only saving grace is that Bouchard may come in cheaper this off-season on a new deal than if we had solidified the right side earlier.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I turned it over to ARZ CAL game after us. Kesselring looked good for Coyotes . Shame we had to give him up but I’m happy with Bjugs. Compliments our team well. I would like him back next year as well. The Yamamoto contract is troubling. Wish we could trade that in offseason. I’m excited for Lavoie or Bourgault.

Calgary is in for a decade of darkness. Team don’t look good at all. That Kadri contract won’t age well

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I’m happy we got the win but Bouchard- woof, he’s been awful this year. Can’t hit the net but nails McD and if you’re going to slide on a 2 on 1 you damn well better take away the pass.

Bouchard is a mixed bag. I have liked him a lot better since being partner'd with Ekholm but yeah that pass last night was woof. Cant make that pass ever. I just hate how casual he is with the puck sometimes. Hes made those kind of blunders multiple times this year. If he does that in the playoffs, hes going to get crucified.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
God....I cringe when all the fat dumpy 40-50 something chicks jump up to do a line dance now. Middle age sucks enough without them embarrassing their men. Especially when they forgot how to f***ing do it and look at each other to remember.
They need the GOOD 50 year old women to get up to do the dances, like 54 year old Elizabeth Hurley.
1678907643325.png

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hope McLeod is okay. Was playing a very good game and his line was cooking and then he got hurt. Good thing they didn't sit him out for making a bad play last game. And Bouchard makes a similar horrific play but this time it's not Mitch Marner on the receiving end and Skinner manages to make the save. Wonder if he should sit for a game or 2?;)

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
That deserves a WOW.

Can you imagine McDavid in the 80s with those Oiler teams? He'd break Gretzky's records IMO.
This thought is only in theory. Without Gretz and Mario doing their thing it wouldn’t lead to the extensive training and discipline of a player like McDavid today. If he was born in the same era he likely wouldn’t be the same player. However if you took him from today and transported him back in time he would most likely be better than both guys if that makes sense.

Even Campbell can win most games if they score 6+ lol
The difference being they are forced to score six when he is in lol

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This thought is only in theory. Without Gretz and Mario doing their thing it wouldn’t lead to the extensive training and discipline of a player like McDavid today. If he was born in the same era he likely wouldn’t be the same player. However if you took him from today and transported him back in time he would most likely be better than both guys if that makes sense.

The difference being they are forced to score six when he is in lol
I don't even know if it was Gretz and Mario doing their thing. I honestly don't remember when and who it was, but whoever started taking training seriously probably paved the road for a guy like McDavid more so. Skating and skills coaches in the off-season never were a thing, but eventually once some guys started having success with it the evolution happened where it became the norm.

Sure we heard the stories of Gretz as a kid always wanted to be on the ice and shit, but that was more just a kid playing around then any actually guidance.

That and the day they stopped smoking and having beers during intermission probably started to change players as well.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

I think this is just plain silly. Scoring is way up this year, and scoring in several years in the 80s only had 1 or 2 50 goal scorers. There’s going to be like 10x that this year. You have seen lots of anomaly years over the history of the game, like 1992-93 which is an outrageous scoring outburst, likely due to a combination of skilled european imports, rules changes (TV timeouts, etc), and skill dilution (expansion teams). If you go back to the 70’s a lot of what is happening now is fairly comparable to years that Esposito/Orr dominated the scoring race. There are ebbs and flows, and players who change the game, and rules changes up and down. Reffing has a major impact on scoring year to year. 05-06 saw a HUGE uptick in power plays being called and saw players like Ovie and Crosby catapulted to some of their highest numbers ever in their rookie seasons. They got better over time but their production was no better in their prime than it was as rookies.

In like 2000 people were already calling it the dead puck era, but you were literally a couple years removed from some of the highest scoring years in history. 1995-96 saw some numbers that approached the best seasons ever. The same players were playing. Lemieux was there in the 80s 90s and 00’s and even though he was hobbled he was still scoring point per game against the new superstars who are still playing today.

If you just look at transference, even guys like Gretzky in their retirement years against players who were going through training and development regimens similar to todays athletes, they were still posting point per game as senior citizens.

The idea that players could jump back and dominate the field the way Gretzky did is asinine. People attribute Gretzky’s numbers to the era effect when he had like 100 more points than anyone else in the league Some years. Its not close.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I don't even know if it was Gretz and Mario doing their thing. I honestly don't remember when and who it was, but whoever started taking training seriously probably paved the road for a guy like McDavid more so. Skating and skills coaches in the off-season never were a thing, but eventually once some guys started having success with it the evolution happened where it became the norm.

Sure we heard the stories of Gretz as a kid always wanted to be on the ice and shit, but that was more just a kid playing around then any actually guidance.

That and the day they stopped smoking and having beers during intermission probably started to change players as well.
Gary Roberts and Rod Brind'Amour were the pioneers of hockey player fitness as we know it today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad