Prospect Info: Oilers Development Camp 2014

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Nurse seems really determined to make the team this season
It sounds like he is way too good for the CHL. Too bad he couldn't be sent to the AHL

Ya I agree, that ahl rule seems pretty stupid. I wonder if there is any chance for an exception. Does anyone even know the real reason for the age restriction in the AHL?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It sounds like he is way too good for the CHL. Too bad he couldn't be sent to the AHL

Nurse still has a lot to prove at the junior level, and his offensive game is lacking. If we bring him in thats fine but it may stagnate his offense and hamper his development. Send him back and let him go to the WJC and maybe lead the Greyhounds deep into the playoffs. We have no reason to rush him at this point and unless he comes in and looks like Drew Doughty he should be sent back.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Ya I agree, that ahl rule seems pretty stupid. I wonder if there is any chance for an exception. Does anyone even know the real reason for the age restriction in the AHL?

He's 19 right now and I believe he turns 20 in February. I'm hoping that he can somehow be transferred to our AHL affiliate once he turns 20. They should implement a rule where CHL prospects drafted in the first round can play in the AHL at any age. It would do wonders for our prospects such as Nurse and even Draisaitl.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

The reason the rule is in place is to protect the CHL. If players were allowed to go to the AHL as soon as they could, the league would have no stars and there would be no point on building a team as the best players would be gone within a year or two. Allowing the kids to go to the AHL would basically force the CHL to fold because the difference between the WHL and AJHL for example would be minimal.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Nurse still has a lot to prove at the junior level, and his offensive game is lacking. If we bring him in thats fine but it may stagnate his offense and hamper his development. Send him back and let him go to the WJC and maybe lead the Greyhounds deep into the playoffs. We have no reason to rush him at this point and unless he comes in and looks like Drew Doughty he should be sent back.
The offensive game that had him leading his league in points by a dman for a majority of the season??

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Last year was visa issues. Yakimov had come over for the draft so he just stayed for the camp. This year I have no idea. I know he was passed over the first time because he had no interest in coming to NA, but he was happy to be picked by Edm at the time so it could have changed his mind. I hope to see him over next year.

Yeah all indications he should be over in a year.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The offensive game that had him leading his league in points by a dman for a majority of the season??

He had something like 33 points in 32 games then slowed down big time over the rest of the season when he was asked to round out his game and stop taking chances. He needs to continue working on picking his spots so he can be both an offensive d whos rock solid defensively.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
**** you, pay me.

I would love for Nurse to work out as an elite player, so that could become a thing. I think I'm the only one who still thinks that RNH 'hiss hiss' thing is funny, though, so its probably just me.

Cringe at the Pronger comparisons, though.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

I think he can use 1 more year. He still can get better, still has a lot to prove in Junior and can play on the WJC team.

I wouldn't be against giving him his 9 games at the start of the year but he should really go back.

He was killing it at the start of the season but his offense fell off quite a bit in the last half of the year. He can still improve on it, especially his consistency.

y5qgEyw.png

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Not sure if anyone can shine light on it (or a stat site) but I thought I heard Darnell's coach, or some OHL scout some time ago say he was playing just about the hardest minutes in the OHL. I'm sure it's pretty common among high picked D though. But I thought it was good to hear.

OVOXO*

I think he can use 1 more year. He still can get better, still has a lot to prove in Junior and can play on the WJC team.

I wouldn't be against giving him his 9 games at the start of the year but he should really go back.

He was killing it at the start of the season but his offense fell off quite a bit in the last half of the year. He can still improve on it, especially his consistency.

y5qgEyw.png

Dat Ekblad

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
I like the set-up they're going to be doing with Andrew Ference and Military Leader Lucas Carr tonight. Put them in situations an army leader would have to go through, lessened sleep and food. I really think this is going to help our prospects on the mental side of the game, I love what they're doing here.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Does Diesel post here? If so, big thanks to him.

His observations on Khaira and Nurse have me very excited.

I was also very interested in this note on Drai's skating: "His straight line skating is certainly an area for improvement. He has a wide set stance that looks like he’s sitting in a… well, saddle. In contrast to his straight like skating that looks a bit clumsy, his footwork in close quarters (especially with the puck) is quite slick and agile."

I told people on here when we drafted Kharia, he has a chance to be our Lucic. He's got a mean streak, and he's huge. He's got the potential to be an elite third liner.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Ewwww, that's worse than Drasaitl. :sarcasm:

Skip to 0:48.

It's from December, so there's going to be some improvement there, but his skating, even in that small clip looks superior to Draisaitls. People seem to forget/ignore/have no clue just how gross Draisaitls skating style really is..

I remember a poster on here saying it looked like he had roller blades on out there. Perfect.
Even in that Diesel's write-up on the camp, he noted that LD's skating needs some improvement.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Skip to 0:48.

It's from December, so there's going to be some improvement there, but his skating, even in that small clip looks superior to Draisaitls. People seem to forget/ignore/have no clue just how gross Draisaitls skating style really is..

I remember a poster on here saying it looked like he had roller blades on out there. Perfect.
Even in that Diesel's write-up on the camp, he noted that LD's skating needs some improvement.

Oh god that hurt to watch haha, but that was also a while ago I assume. In the highlights ive watched from the WHL, hes consistenly ahead of the play, so his stride looks weird but hes ahead of the pace. His game is also about slowing the game down and smart positioning so that could add to it.

I really want to see him against NHL players to see how his speed matches up

Eirhead*

Skating efficiency and speed and agility are 3 different things.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

That might have more to do with the team than his consistency.

Basically the team as a whole came out of the gate on fire, but their offence fell off a few months into the season.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
“I’m not really much for just having a chat,” he said. “I don’t know how much you really get out of it, so I just wanted to do something a little more productive.

So maybe he isn't much of a locker room presence as was assumed :naughty:

Now I wonder why they don't do this with our actual team of heartless punks? Too many agents complaining?

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
So maybe he isn't much of a locker room presence as was assumed :naughty:

Now I wonder why they don't do this with our actual team of heartless punks? Too many agents complaining?

ha ha, maybe an insurance problem?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad