Prospect Info: Oilers Development Camp 2014

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
What I had heard was just from the development camp, not related to whatever happened in SSM, but like I said I wasn't there so I don't have the first hand accounts.

It's from Bruce McCurdy's first-hand account.

Early impressions: Darnell Nurse — really showed his athleticism a time or three. Kind ofg all over the place at times, not really playing a sound positional game but more a wide open “scrimmage†style.

I think if the Oilers had a "regular" NHL d-corps, it might be quite possible to have Nurse as the 6th d-man, but not sure we're strong and experienced enough even if he's ready for sheltered minutes.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
Not sure where to put this but Bunz will be starting for Canada on the Australian tour this year.

http://www.internationalicehockey.com.au/

Taken from the website:
Canada Goaltender: Tyler Bunz

As an Edmonton
Oilers goaltending prospect, Bunz won the Del Wilson Trophy as the Western Hockey League Goaltender of the Year in the 2011/12 season playing for the Edmonton Oil Kings. The Oilers like him so much prior to that, they drafted him in the fifth round in 2010. He
had exceptional numbers in the WHL and has carried this on in his pro career. After his second season as a pro, he Bunz has a good shot at making the big club next year as he is in his final year of his three-year entry level contract. A positionally and technically sound goalie, Bunz was considered one of the best Canadian goalies his age during his time in the WHL. Bunz has an undeniable natural talent, and will use the International Ice Hockey Australian Tour as a stepping stone to prepare him for the Oilers camp this September.

"This is a very big signing for Canada. The USA has a young dynamic goalie in Steven
Summerhays and now Canada has the goalie that could win the series alone. The Oilers
have given Bunz the permission to compete in this international tour and look for him to
compete in camp this upcoming September. Bunz is the real deal and we are excited to
see these two young goalies showcase their talents for their respective teams."
expresses Tour Director Kerry Goulet.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: "Good shot at making the big club" uh huh. Also playing for the Oil kings... also erroneous. Whoever wrote this is really pumping his tires.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Taken from the website:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: "Good shot at making the big club" uh huh. Also playing for the Oil kings... also erroneous. Whoever wrote this is really pumping his tires.

I went to the game last year, talk about major disappointment.
They promised 'former Stanley Cup winners, Olympic medalists and current NHLers'.
Then they announced the rosters closer to the date when the tickets were sold out.
The 'current NHLers' were Kyle Quincey and Zenon Konopka. Konopka was injured so he didnt play. They said several times at the event that Quincey was the best player for the Wings in the playoffs in the year before. The former stanley cup winner was 40 year old Bryan Muir who played like 8 games on the year the Avs won the cup. The biggest names playing were Preds prospect Taylor Beck and Ryan O'Marra. No Olympic medalists.
The rosters consisted of 50% players one one-way AHL contracts, 40% ECHLers, 5% players that were playing in European leagues, and 5% that played an NHL game at some point.
Game was slow and sloppy with WWE type hype-up all game. $80 tickets.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Really, this is a great stepping stone for prospects. Just ask Geoff Paukovich and Ryan O'Marra about last years experience.

I hate that we threw away a pick with Paukovich. Ugh.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
Really, this is a great stepping stone for prospects. Just ask Geoff Paukovich and Ryan O'Marra about last years experience.

It says Etem, Condra and Matt Kassian will be playing this year, not that they are big deals but better then having all ECHL and AHL player

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
It's hard watching videos of Nurse cause you know he wants to make the team so bad but knows there's limited space for him.

This is exactly how it should be, with all of the prospects. It sucks having spots stickied for kids in July, that is not how a good hockey team is built.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I hate that we threw away a pick with Paukovich. Ugh.

Who cares? We were going to throw away the pick anyways. In the 8 picks after us, it's not like there were any big names. Just a bunch of scrubs. Alex Goligoski? Brandon Dubinsky? David Krejci?

Who?

:sarcasm:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's from Bruce McCurdy's first-hand account.

Early impressions: Darnell Nurse — really showed his athleticism a time or three. Kind ofg all over the place at times, not really playing a sound positional game but more a wide open “scrimmage†style.

I think if the Oilers had a "regular" NHL d-corps, it might be quite possible to have Nurse as the 6th d-man, but not sure we're strong and experienced enough even if he's ready for sheltered minutes.

Saw him twice last season at different points. And the second viewing, which was later in the year, I saw a similar game from Nurse. Whether it was that he didn't trust his defense partner or was just trying to do too much remains to be seen. But I can attest to what McCurdy's saying here.

Looking at the way the NHL D roster looks as of right now, I'm happy to see that they might be leaning towards sending him back to the Sault for another year. It would help him tremendously in simplifying that part of his game.

The Pietrangelo treatment is the way to go.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I did realize Khaira had grown 2 inches since being drafted. He was a big PWF already when drafted and has only gotten bigger.

I sort of hope he gets sent to the WHL and develops more offense. But it seems his offense took a massive hit playing on the shutdown line in Everett. When he played 1c duty he put up good points. And the reports from the AHL/ development camps state he has an offensive touch.

Cant wait to watch 6'4 Khaira and 6'4 Yakimov in the AHL next year and possible NHL the season after. The twins towers should add good depth to the bottom 6, and maybe even one guy develops into a top 6 guy. Cant call that till they play in the AHL though

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Saw him twice last season at different points. And the second viewing, which was later in the year, I saw a similar game from Nurse. Whether it was that he didn't trust his defense partner or was just trying to do too much remains to be seen. But I can attest to what McCurdy's saying here.

Looking at the way the NHL D roster looks as of right now, I'm happy to see that they might be leaning towards sending him back to the Sault for another year. It would help him tremendously in simplifying that part of his game.

The Pietrangelo treatment is the way to go.

So then you're all for giving Nurse the full 9 games in the NHL as an audition before sending him back, since that's what the Blues did with Pietrangelo too, twice?

And I think one can definitely argue, given Pietrangelo's -9 in 9 games as a 19 year old, that he was sent down by the Blues simply because he wasn't good enough for the NHL yet, not because they wanted to "overripen" him so that he'd be a picture-perfect player once he finished his junior eligibility.

To me the whole "Pietrangelo treatment" thing is a bit embellished by fans...IMO the Blues just took it year by year with their new toy, and sent him back to junior simply because he just wasn't ready. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Maybe all teams should treat their young defensemen like Pietrangelo and then they'd all end up like Pietrangelo.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So then you're all for giving Nurse the full 9 games in the NHL as an audition before sending him back, since that's what the Blues did with Pietrangelo too, twice?

And I think one can definitely argue, given Pietrangelo's -9 in 9 games as a 19 year old, that he was sent down by the Blues simply because he wasn't good enough for the NHL yet, not because they wanted to "overripen" him so that he'd be a picture-perfect player once he finished his junior eligibility.

To me the whole "Pietrangelo treatment" thing is a bit embellished by fans...IMO the Blues just took it year by year with their new toy, and sent him back to junior simply because he just wasn't ready. Nothing more, nothing less.

The "over ripening" as you'd care to call it is what I'm suggesting. Our cupboards are pretty stocked at the moment, especially on the left side. St Louis, if I remember correctly, wasn't as fortunate in that department at the time. Especially considering Pietrangelo was a RHD in the pre-Shattenkirk St Louis era.

Unless Darnell Nurse is a world-beating, top pairing eligible NHL defenseman on October 1st, I want him in Sault Ste Marie. Because that potential is still there and throwing him to the wolves in Edmonton isn't the right way for him to achieve it.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
Hey guys, did anyone attend this scrimmage other than Oilers media. I would like some feedback on some of the prospects.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
The "over ripening" as you'd care to call it is what I'm suggesting. Our cupboards are pretty stocked at the moment, especially on the left side. St Louis, if I remember correctly, wasn't as fortunate in that department at the time. Especially considering Pietrangelo was a RHD in the pre-Shattenkirk St Louis era.

Unless Darnell Nurse is a world-beating, top pairing eligible NHL defenseman on October 1st, I want him in Sault Ste Marie. Because that potential is still there and throwing him to the wolves in Edmonton isn't the right way for him to achieve it.

That's a good point. But if Nurse is clearly on the cusp of NHL ready why not give him a month or two with the team. Play a few NHL games, get a nice paycheque before going back to the CHL where he can use the new skills and continue to build on what the NHL staff tell him he needs to work on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad