Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks in season opener, 5-3 (Pettersson, Miller, Kuzmenko)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Brainstorming powerplay setups... I think the stacked first unit as it is now leaves too many talented players standing around that ought to be doing more puckhandling, so split them up.

Left boards = Kuzmenko
Left corner = Garland
Slot = Horvat
Right boards = Pettersson
Point = OEL

This would be the like the PP WSH and TBL have run in the past, except it would be setup on the left with Kuzmenko as the QB. Garland down low beside/behind the net where he does his best work and in a spot where his lack of shot is mitigated.

- Kuz/Garland/Bo can work the bumper play
- Kuz has 3 good LH shooting options to pass to
- Kuz and EP both on their off-side for cross-crease plays and one-timers

This leaves Miller, Podkolzin, Boeser, Hughes and whoever else on the other unit, which is good enough to be like a 1st unit itself.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
:biglaugh::clap:

Darnell nurse already fined for trying to be a tough guy
doesn't change the fact his team won the game though, i feel like the canucks deserved to win more than the oilers, btw, what the hell is hoglander doing all game, his aim is so terrible!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
:biglaugh::clap:

Darnell nurse already fined for trying to be a tough guy

The fact that he received supplemental discipline for the hit is confirmation that the NHL viewed that as a play that should have been a 5-minute major.

Two massively blown calls in Edmonton's favour. 3-1 goal should never have happened and the guy who scored the 3-3 goal shouldn't have been in the game.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
they pinned themselves into a corner by signing Miller, they are going for the playoffs and you need Horvat for that goal. We had to clean house and rebuild, move Miller, Horvat and Boeser but yet we we re-sign 2 of the 3, went shopping for yet another 2nd line winger and not fixing our major holes.
There is still a possibility but harder now. I really like Miller's demeanour, I think it is good to be pissed off losing but I wonder how long that can last in the room, it could get old real fast.
That was a f***ing strange game. We were easily the better team at ES for basically the whole night, outshot and outchanced them badly. But we caught a terrible break - we probably won't get a worse blown call than that all year - and our special teams were rancid. And their goalie was really good including stopping two breakaways that would have sealed the game.
Hmm, alot like the 80's, the Nucks could dominate for 40 minutes, create hope for the fans then the Oilers would decide to play and poof, another loss.
Hughes was our worst defensman last night.
He is more a rover than dman, Pearson plays better defence than him
Yeah. The start of the game was really encouraging. They were all over the puck and really controlling most of the play. Lots of jump and some great work down low. But Draisaitl and McDavey are entirely capable of just taking over a game all by themselves, flipping the tables on a game. Hardly the first time that's happened to a team, and certainly won't be the last. Still frustrating and disappointing to let such a promising start to the game slip away from them like that though.
The top players for the Canucks all played on the PP and it tired them out. Might as well use that as an excuse.
I thought it was a good effort overall. They skated hard and put a lot of pressure on the Oilers, especially in the first half of the game. The Oilers just have a crazy good PP and our PK is bad. If Miller or Hoglander bury those great looks they got it's probably enough to get the win. It was nice to see the Canucks getting breakaway chances rather than the Oilers for a change. Campbell played really well once he got over the rough first few minutes. I thought we had more structure in our game than Edmonton.
Demko slipped a bit it was not his normal insane game, that is troubling because he was better than the backup. As Demko goes, so goes this team. They need ALL the defencemen they have to be healthy. If Myers was playing they don't score on one of the PK's
Every game I've seen him in this year seems to contain a hit against him that leaves him looking dead on the ice after which he is often useless. At least Petey can flop to the ice as if garroted and, once the penalty is assessed, jump back to life and score a goal (like the other night). Problem is that while this sort of thing often works in October it doesn't work in April. An old Canuck tradition...
Hughes is a little guy that came up through the ranks in low hitting leagues, it is easy to be a star in a glorified beer league, not saying it is easy but in the NHL there is hitting and really fast players. Hughes has lots of offensive weapons and skill, IMO he could be a very good winger or maybe even a center but he just can't do everything an NHL defenceman should be able to do. Hit, clear the front of the net, win board battles, push players off the puck, pin players to the boards, have a good to great point shot, skate backwards.
He's not even close to being fast enough. Far too often he is beaten on the outside by even the mid level players.
I still insist he can't skate backwards very well, he turns and tries to out muscle guys

This game looked great at first, I was impressed with them, they had a team that was asleep and took it to them.

AND then the Oilers woke up. Gaps closed, outlet passes got smaller and the stars came out. BTW McD only played 23 minutes, less than 2 minutes more than Petey

This was much like the old Oilers, they played really really bad for half the game, their goalie kept them close. It was like when the Canucks were really good, most often they won games where they were badly out played.

Really good teams, contenders, win ugly games and this was an ugly win for the Oilers and maybe a wake up call.

I figured the score would be 7 - 3 Oilers, After the first period I thought "this could be 7 - 3 Canucks" I thought the last change would have McD and Dras vs the weakest defencemen but instead they went head to head with the top guys and just out skilled them.

Like past years when most of the masses were so sure the team was winning a playoff spot, "Oh well, it is only one game"

If body contact was an issue tonight, wait until Tortorella's team next game, it will be an all out high pressure game, no passengers on his team they could grind them down

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The fact that he received supplemental discipline for the hit is confirmation that the NHL viewed that as a play that should have been a 5-minute major.

Two massively blown calls in Edmonton's favour. 3-1 goal should never have happened and the guy who scored the 3-3 goal shouldn't have been in the game.

Right. It's like you said, that's one of those games where you shrug your shoulders and just move on. The process was great but the results weren't there. Play like that and you'll win the majority of your games. Well, if they can fix special teams.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Right. It's like you said, that's one of those games where you shrug your shoulders and just move on. The process was great but the results weren't there. Play like that and you'll win the majority of your games. Well, if they can fix special teams.

Pretty much. Between Edmonton's insanely good star players/our terrible special teams/blown calls this was a weird result that didn't line up with the actual performance.

Just try to do the same things every game for the rest of the road trip and turn a better special teams effort against teams that don't have McDavid/Draisaitl and we'll get the 3-2 sort of start we need.

The main thing will be for the coaches to get that message through to the players and not have this game be a big confidence breaker.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It looks like Cam Charron will be tracking Canucks games this season, free for October: Vancouver Canucks 3 @ Edmonton Oilers 5 – 2022-10-12 Recap

Things come out closer than they felt watching the game last night.

Not saying this just based off this post but.. I am actually quite a bit surprised that some people think the Canucks outplayed the Oilers last night. I just didn't see it. I'm not sure if there is some confirmation bias for off-season thoughts or just the eyes playing tricks on them because of all the PP zone time but it seemed like a fairly even game after the Canucks hot start. You still have to weigh the hot start as part of the equation which is why I'll call it even, but I really liked the Oilers final 40 minutes.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Not saying this just based off this post but.. I am actually quite a bit surprised that some people think the Canucks outplayed the Oilers last night. I just didn't see it. I'm not sure if there is some confirmation bias for off-season thoughts or just the eyes playing tricks on them because of all the PP zone time but it seemed like a fairly even game after the Canucks hot start. You still have to weigh the hot start as part of the equation which is why I'll call it even, but I really liked the Oilers final 40 minutes.
The Oilers played bigger than the Canucks, but the Canucks did outplay them. Oilers were not prepared for the Canucks forecheck and it showed. They only won because of McDavid and Draisaitl. Clearly that is the only way the Oilers can win. Hogz, Miller hit the net or Horvat doesn't shoot it into the crest, and they bury their chances, we're talking a Canucsk win, instead of a loss.

I have read from a few, and agree, while demko made some 10 bell saves, he was also pretty avg. last night. Campbell settled in and made some key saves as well.

Overall the Canucsk were the better team, but they are too small. Hogz is just to small for the NHL. He doesn't have the speed or shot that a player needs to be successful as a smaller player.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It looks like Cam Charron will be tracking Canucks games this season, free for October: Vancouver Canucks 3 @ Edmonton Oilers 5 – 2022-10-12 Recap

One thing that's interesting about this, and I've thought about this a lot, is that you can clearly see the Oilers were targeting the Canucks right side defence for zone entries. The exception is Burroughs. So the Oilers are consistently trying to enter on the weaker partner. Hughes, OEL, and Burroughs with single digit zone entry attempts against while Schenn, Poolman, and Stillman with double digits. Apart from Poolman, the strategy didn't actually work out that great. They should have targeted Hughes rather than Schenn.

Reactions: pitseleh

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Not sure how Charron got this opinion:

"Despite the fact I’d rather see Boeser on the top unit than Kuzmenko, I can’t deny that Kuzmenko had a great playmaking game. He set up two scoring chances at 5v5 and had three shot assists, but not counted in that are the three times he set up his teammates in great spots and they just completely whiffed on their chances (Horvat in the first period on the powerplay, Miller in the second on the powerplay, and Pettersson at even strength in the third). I can’t say I was impressed by Kuzmenko in the preseason, and it seemed like his decisions were a bit too slow. He might have been the best playmaker the Canucks had outside of Podkolzin."

The bolded seems especially strange since Kuzmenko was hugely impressive in the pre-season and his quick decision making really seemed to stand out to me.

This part is in line with what I saw, apart from the insistence that Boeser return to the top PP spot:

"Ultimately, though, the Canucks had a fine game 5v5. I haven’t figured out how to write up powerplay stats just yet (that’s something I’m working on) and the reason this game was lost, other than McDavid, was how little the Canucks were able to generate 5v4. I’ve been a big believer in their powerplay, and despite the fact that Kuzmenko scored the only powerplay goal, I much prefer Boeser being in that net-front spot because that unit was so effective last season."

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The Oilers played bigger than the Canucks, but the Canucks did outplay them. Oilers were not prepared for the Canucks forecheck and it showed. They only won because of McDavid and Draisaitl. Clearly that is the only way the Oilers can win. Hogz, Miller hit the net or Horvat doesn't shoot it into the crest, and they bury their chances, we're talking a Canucsk win, instead of a loss.

I have read from a few, and agree, while demko made some 10 bell saves, he was also pretty avg. last night. Campbell settled in and made some key saves as well.

Overall the Canucsk were the better team, but they are too small. Hogz is just to small for the NHL. He doesn't have the speed or shot that a player needs to be successful as a smaller player.

No doubt that the Canucks jumped on them early and outplayed them. But the rest of the way, it was pretty even. Both teams missed good chances.

Saying "they only won because of McDavid & Draisaitl" is completely meaningless. Yes, their team is much worse without two of the best players in the world who take 21 million of cap space. It would be like someone saying "Well the Canucks only win if they have Demko, Miller, and Hughes!".

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

It was obvious by my other two posts but I found this very interesting. How do you access this all year? Does he have a patreon? Will it be an Athletic thing? There's nothing in his bio or on the website that indicates as such.

Reactions: mossey3535

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Frustrating game. The passing was incredibly sloppy and cost us at least 2 to 3 more goals and goals against. Demko is a godsend.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
No doubt that the Canucks jumped on them early and outplayed them. But the rest of the way, it was pretty even. Both teams missed good chances.

Saying "they only won because of McDavid & Draisaitl" is completely meaningless. Yes, their team is much worse without two of the best players in the world who take 21 million of cap space. It would be like someone saying "Well the Canucks only win if they have Demko, Miller, and Hughes!".

That's about what it was for me. Canucks were the better 5v5 team for about 30ish minutes. Oilers got better and had a major pushback lead by McDavid and Draisaitl and were aided by two massively blown calls. Canucks then evened it out and both teams were trading chances for the final 10-15ish minutes.

Ultimately, whatever. I look at the game as pretty encouraging apart from poor special teams. The PP was quite good after the coaching change and I'm sure they'll find a rhythm again. Too much talent there not too. The big concern is the PK. Resting the entire success on Mikheyev is not a winning strategy.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I have to say it's a really bad look for the league that a team with such a killer powerplay is constrantly screaming at the referees. If I had my way it would be like rugby where players aren't even allowed to speak to the ref, except for the captain.

Every penalty the Oilers take they're absolutely indignant/livid about, even when it's a clear as day tripping call. Such obvious attempts to "work" the refs really makes the refs look bad and casts doubts on the legitimacy on just about every call they make.

That's about what it was for me. Canucks were the better 5v5 team for about 30ish minutes. Oilers got better and had a major pushback lead by McDavid and Draisaitl and were aided by two massively blown calls. Canucks then evened it out and both teams were trading chances for the final 10-15ish minutes.

Ultimately, whatever. I look at the game as pretty encouraging apart from poor special teams. The PP was quite good after the coaching change and I'm sure they'll find a rhythm again. Too much talent there not too. The big concern is the PK. Resting the entire success on Mikheyev is not a winning strategy.

What kills me about the Canucks PP is that people are always standing still when they receive the puck. They need to actually move their feet and threaten to beat defenders 1 on 1 to draw them out of position. Instead they just stand still, make a few passes until they pass to someone with no good options and the play dies.

Reactions: B-rock

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
What kills me about the Canucks PP is that people are always standing still when they receive the puck. They need to actually move their feet and threaten to beat defenders 1 on 1 to draw them out of position. Instead they just stand still, make a few passes until they pass to someone with no good options and the play dies.

This was something I posted a few weeks ago. I'd like to see far more movement in the powerplay. The most successful powerplays create mismatches by having players rotate around, draw defenders away, and create bad match-ups and open looks. With the Canucks lone PP goal last night you saw that. When they got set-up it was far too static.

Now the Canucks PP success last year was, basically, because they could beat you in many ways. There wasn't a lot of movement other than Hughes and Miller but they were acting as the primary distributors with many effective scoring options. I'm not confident the same powerplay strategy will work as teams have now had time to adjust to it.

It won't happen here but I would love to see the NBA's concept of "switching" deployed during PPs. Players switch spots with teammates and pull defenders away. Creating double teams and really bad match-ups. Essentially instead of having several static scoring options, the movement creates options and players are prepared for different scenarios. I'd also like to see the 2nd unit completely done away with and, instead, rotate players in to give different looks to defenses and different strategies depending on player's skills. The first unit already plays the entire PP or 90 seconds anyway, maximize that time instead of, really, only giving the 2nd unit 20 seconds.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It was one game but Kuzmenko is an absolute puck hound especially on the PP. I'd liked him setting up behind the net. Thought he made some nice plays and quickly moved the puck but PP was often done in with, shall we say, curious plays up top (MIller, Hughes, Pettersson).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad