Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks in season opener, 5-3 (Pettersson, Miller, Kuzmenko)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
great 5 on 5. petey kuzmenko were good. d was surprisingly not bad. special teams killed them. all the oilers goals were bang bang plays. 1 -2 passes find open guy back of the net. nothing demko could have done to stop those. powerplay needs to change it up. put garland or boeser on millers spot and start firing. move on to the next one. the next time van meets oilers should be mikehvev alongside petey and pods to matchup against mcdavid.
Doesn’t matter. When we are at game 78 and trying to calculate how many points we need or what teams need to lose for us to make the playoffs , remember this blown 3 goal lead.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Outside of this board nobody thinks Demko is a top 10 goalie. Over rated in my opinion.

Took about 5 minutes in to the season to start blaming the refs. They are the reason we blew a 3 goal lead.
Nope but blowing that call was huge turn for coilers and instead of a 4min pp down3 to 1 its a 3 to 2 game on an inexcusable missed call changes a game.
Buttmans nhl

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
There's alot of good things but it does feel like the sky is falling. Especially losing to the Oilers like that.

Kuzmenko looks good, some of the D were good, EP looks good, Demko looks good.

Hopefully this is just a 1 off with the PK against McDrai, but... Ugh, feels like what were used too
Anytime you blow a 3-0 lead is an absolute kick in the nuts.

but yeah...Its game one.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What made this one so frustrating is that the Canucks dominated five-on-five, outshooting the Oilers almost 2-1.

But special teams and the inability to finish glorious chances were their undoing. Two PP goals allowed, plus a shorthanded goal will get you every time.

One thing is for certain.....the Oilers had better pray nothing happens to McDavid and Draisaitl this season. Because there isn't another team in the league that leans more on two guys. They're an average team without them.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
1665653006387.png

Pettersson's line is fantastic, nuff said. Burroughs is a useful bottom pairing Dman. Poolman's impact makes no sense. Ouch Quinn Hughes.

Reactions: bbud and CanuckCity

Nov 1, 2011
It took the Oilers 3 PPGs to take the game in the end. That was the difference. Our PP needs more creativity - the talent is there. Please put Pods with Petey & Kuz as a regular line - wanted that since pre-season.

Edmonton is very fortunate to have a supreme being in McDavid. Without him, they are not a very impressive team. They should be worried, since we're supposed to have a shitty defense. Their even strength game tonight was lousy.

Maybe out PK is just still terrible.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I really liked Kuz-EP-Hoglander. Lots of potential there.

EP isn't great at puck protection, but Hogs has a way of turning a broken cycle back into possession. Young Burrows vibes, just needs a bit of time with some alien level thinking.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Watched the over I made and was honestly shocked at how good we look.

If we can fix the PK and our defence can play like that we might actually be a playoff team.

That being said, Demko looked off to me tonight which you almost never said last year. Maybe I’m just used to him being on another planet but he seemed like a B grade and not his usual A.

We are gonna blow Philly out Saturday if we play like this. Sometimes you just get McDavid’d.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I didn't get to watch this one and sadly I won't get to watch many because of my work hours, but I did watch the extended highlights. Some thoughts:

Demko didn't look great on the SHG. I'm not a goalie guy, but it looked to me like his lateral push put him deeper in the net, giving shooters more to look at. It's a bit nitpicky, but I just didn't like how it looked.

Petey's opening goal was fantastic. That is the pass-intercepting predator I want to see.

Kuzmenko continues to produce evidence that he is the real thing.

Connor McDavid is better than your favourite player. Unless your favourite player is Connor McDavid.

That EDM PP goal with the tick-tac-toe was beautiful. I watched it over several times to try to figure out how McDavid was allowed to practically disappear. It didn't look too bad, except that the cross-ice pass-blocker guys never shoulder-checked to see if McDavid had moved. I also kinda think that Leon's pass to McDavid was so good, they may have stolen the idea from Daniel and Henrik.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Canucks looked very good for the most part and others have said, special teams did them in. If Edmonton loses one of McDavid or Draisaitl for an extended time, yikes. Those 2 are insanely good - carry that whole lineup with them.

Boeser and Horvat were terrible. Boeser continues to puck watch and be lazy and Horvat... Also? If the team had some foresight they should try to pawn off Horvat for some RD help for the long term.

Speaking of RD - Burroughs. He's a player. Would love to see how he performs with more minutes.

Reactions: CherryToke

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I guarantee Elliotte is only talking to Pat Morris and getting an inflated number. There has been zero leaks about trades or contracts here, just insiders throwing shit at the wall or pumping agent rumors. When the Horvat story is resolved either re-signed or traded, every insider will be caught with their pants down.

It's pretty counterproductive too because the high numbers are just prepping the fanbase to move on from him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I guarantee Elliotte is only talking to Pat Morris and getting an inflated number. There has been zero leaks about trades or contracts here, just insiders throwing shit at the wall or pumping agent rumors. When the Horvat story is resolved either re-signed or traded, every insider will be caught with their pants down.

Meaning what exactly? That the number is going to come in way lower than 7 million?

I think it's the opposite here. There is a certain segment of Canucks fans who have just put their heads in the sand and are wish-casting Horvat's number to come in low because that's simply what they want to happen. He is a top-6 center with pedigree and perceived intangibles that seems destined to do extremely well in the UFA market if he made it there. These are the exact kind of players that NHL teams love to add and will have no problem paying up for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad