Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 3-2 (Edler, Pearson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Encouraging game last night. Really nice to see the 2nd line dominate with their size and skill. Those 3 seem to fit together perfectly.

Quinn Hughes was unbelievable for a 5'9 teenager going up against some elite forwards. Got beat a few teams, but also broke up a half dozen dangerous plays with a smart, quick stick. Completely transforms the look of the team with that skill and transition game, a bit like when Ehrhoff was acquired.

Am I crazy or is Tyler Myers skating still excellent? Just don't agree that his skating 'fell off a cliff' last season. Myers can be an adventure at times, but he also will be crucial for this club if they want to take a big step offensively. Opens up a ton with his reach and ability to beat guys 1 on 1.

Good start to the season for a lot of the question marks. Just need to get that 1st line going.

Reactions: sting101

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Just got around to watching last night's game now, thought it was a heck of a hockey game. Looked like Quinn Hughes came within an inch of knocking the puck off of McDavid's stick on the game winner their when McDavid parted the seas. there

Is that where the McJesus nickname comes from I wonder?

*that would be Moses. Never mind :DD

Reactions: Sunan Moon

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Yup.

It was the end of a shift and Tanev assumed a completely un-pressured Sutter would make a safe clear and started cheating to the bench. Then the puck gets turned over and Tanev has to hustle back, but by the time he realized there was probably 30-40 feet in between he and Hughes. And Tanev started closing pretty quickly, but the fastest player in the league hitting that hole blew through it.

Like, maybe Tanev should have waited to be sure but when your 'reliable veteran checking center' has such an easy play you assume he'll make it. That play was pretty much entirely on Sutter.

Also not a fan of Sutter's post-game comments when he took no responsibility and kinda threw the defensive pairing under the bus a bit.

HIgh character player.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
The RS defender should not be chasing over above the faceoff circles almost to the blueline on the left side of the zone. Period. There's a reason you don't see defenders out there, pretty much ever, in contained zone situations and why this stuck out like a sore thumb. And it wasn't even like he was marking anyone closely. He was just floating into space basically in the LW position.

Nobody would be mad at Myers if he was near the front of his net protecting shooting lanes and clearing up rebounds while RNH walked off the other side boards for a shot from the top of the circles.

Actually I noticed our D has a habit of doing that, and it's been going for at least four years. Both Pouliot and Guds would chase their guy all over the place. I thought the d-man is supposed to stay on their side of the ice and trade off with the winger for that coverage. If either side d-man chases to the blueline, now the remaining d-man has to cover the middle - that's pretty conventional. Now if either opposing d-man pinches the wingers have to be really alert.

Doesn't really make sense with the whole "play your side" philosophy. The d-man is pretty much useless high in the zone. Either the winger who dragged them will just lose them or the offensive d-man will pinch into the high danger zone the defensive d-man left...and wingers make lots of mistakes in my experience.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think Sutter's attitude bugs me the most about him. Just like Gudbranson he seems to be someone who bought into his own hype growing up and now thinks he's some infallible veteran the rest of the team should emulate and look up to. I think I'd be constantly rolling my eyes if I was in the dressing room with him.

Yeah, I've said this same thing before about both him and Gudbranson. Both guys had a lot of success at a young age, were top-10 picks in the draft, were playing in the NHL as teenagers, made a lot of money very young, and carry themselves like they're stars ... despite being incredibly fringe NHL players who should be clawing for jobs on 1-year contracts every year and be humble as f*** about it. And this attitude makes them two of the more unlikeable players I've ever had to watch as Canucks.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Sutter blaming the defense for his turnover is bs

The only thing Hughes and Tanev are at fault for are thinking that Sutter is capable of getting the puck 200 feet away from the net
I honestly just hate everything about this player. Can't wait until he's off this team. Eriksson, Schaller, and all of the other trash on this team combined pales in comparison to how much I dislike Sutter.

Such a smug, self righteous prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad