Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 3-2 (Edler, Pearson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Lucic if Jethro Bodine has his way.
Wow.. could you imagine...
eQP9ehc.gif

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Live out in Toronto now and stayed up till 1am to watch the game despite having to get up at 6am. I'm so happy I got to watch Sutter, Eriksson, and Schaller play instead of Baertschi and Gaudette! Woo hoo this team has an abundance of skill!

In all honesty, I thought Hughes adapted his game by the 3rd and was much better compared to the 1st.

The PP is the same shit as before. Completely static and predictable.

Also, why does it seem this team can't recieve a pass? Yes it's the first game but the Oilers, who have a much worse forward group, were able to do this. Weird.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Good:
Pearson
Miller
Horvat
Myers
Hughes
Edler
Tanev

Below average:
Ferland
Pettersson
Boeser

Horrible:
Sutter
Schaller
Eriksson

Last edited:
Reactions: ddawg1950

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Our top line was out-top-lined by theirs.
Our goaltending was outplayed by theirs.
Our coach was out-coached.

One thing that baffles me is all the praise for Marky. An .864 save % is not good especially when you look at that first goal. He was average at best and being beaten by Mike Smith of all people is an embarrassment...

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
I can't believe this is an argument.

Off a defensive zone faceoff, Myers leaves his side to float up above the faceoff circle sorta kinda tracking RNH but not really close to him at all. That is not fundamentally sound. That is not how defenders are trained to play. You could watch 50 other faceoffs last night and I doubt there was a single one where a defender ended up almost at the blueline 3-4 seconds after the puck was dropped.

The point shot comes through, and if Myers had simply held position below the hashmarks it would probably have been an easy clear for him. Instead there was an out-manned breakdown because one of the defenders who should have been near the net was 30 feet away on the wrong side of the ice.
Sorry, you have to look at the video again because you are looking at it wrong. It's man on man, you always see defenders come to the blue line to stay on their man, come on, it's a common occurrence especially off a faceoff.

This is what would have happened if Myers went to your school of hockey. Instead of Myers following RNH, he would just twiddle his thumbs in the slot while the Oiler defenseman instead of shooting on goal would just pass the puck to RNH, who would then have a nice open lane for a scoring chance. After this happens there would be the usual HFBoards Canucks melt down because dumb dumb Myers didn't cover his man.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Sorry, you have to look at the video again because you are looking at it wrong. It's man on man, you always see defenders come to the blue line to stay on their man, come on, it's a common occurrence especially off a faceoff.

This is what would have happened if Myers went to your school of hockey. Instead of Myers following RNH, he would just twiddle his thumbs in the slot while the Oiler defenseman instead of shooting on goal would just pass the puck to RNH, who would then have a nice open lane for a scoring chance. After this happens there would be the usual HFBoards Canucks melt down because dumb dumb Myers didn't cover his man.

If the Canucks are employing a strict man on man defensive scheme, we're in trouble lol.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Hawks fan coming in peace, Hughes looked really good last night. Strength will come with age (at least it should). He can just skate.

Looked like he was surprised a little with McDavids burst of speed but that will come with time/experience plus it is McDavid.

You guys have a good one in Hughes and the 2018 Draft's D class looks great in general.

Have a good one.
Personally I don’t think you’ll ever see Hughes have the strength to push guys like Draisaitl or Kassian off the puck, it’s just unrealistic, but he is going to learn how to defend even better with his active stick and using his feet to stay in front of guys, he’s already good at it; but it will improve as he gains experience. Hard to beat his ability to transition the puck up ice and skate himself out of trouble.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
It was 90% on Sutter. It looked to me like Hughes was surprised by McDavid's explosive speed. If his anticipation was better, he could have possibly jumped the gap right away. Not really blaming him though - McDavid's quick acceleration is something to behold.
Why are people blaming the only person on that play to get his stick on the puck and disrupt the play even in a little way? Hughes was the only person to actually make a play on that MethDavid goal. Tanev looked like a junior player and Sutter just gave up.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
Some of you are acting like it's terrible that hughes was caught flat foot against Mcdavid.

He's a rookie and will learn from this. I'm sure he feels terrible about it. In addition, Mcdavid has made the best defensemen in this league look silly. It's not just hughes. So relax

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Aside from that glaring mistake I thought Myers was really good last night. I'd probably play him with Hughes and give them a ton of offensive zone starts.

this i thought was their original plan in signing myers and i'd still like to see it, but it makes sense to pair hughes with tanev initially until he gets settled and probably the same with myers and edler.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Personally I don’t think you’ll ever see Hughes have the strength to push guys like Draisaitl or Kassian off the puck, it’s just unrealistic, but he is going to learn how to defend even better with his active stick and using his feet to stay in front of guys, he’s already good at it; but it will improve as he gains experience. Hard to beat his ability to transition the puck up ice and skate himself out of trouble.

I agree but I do think that he will get strong enough where it will not be an issue.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Some of you are acting like it's terrible that hughes was caught flat foot against Mcdavid.
That's how you interpret it.

He played well & made a rookie mistake or two (which is to be expected), which in my view isn't the same as the responses to "he played fantastic".

In the end, it's only one game (his first real game - I don't count the ones last year against teams worse than the Canucks when the season was essentially already over for both teams).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

The RS defender should not be chasing over above the faceoff circles almost to the blueline on the left side of the zone. Period. There's a reason you don't see defenders out there, pretty much ever, in contained zone situations and why this stuck out like a sore thumb. And it wasn't even like he was marking anyone closely. He was just floating into space basically in the LW position.

Nobody would be mad at Myers if he was near the front of his net protecting shooting lanes and clearing up rebounds while RNH walked off the other side boards for a shot from the top of the circles.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

He's a rookie and will learn from this. I'm sure he feels terrible about it. In addition, Mcdavid has made the best defensemen in this league look silly. It's not just hughes. So relax
I've looked at the replay, and really Hughes is somewhat blameless on that goal. Sutter passes the puck to nobody in the neutral zone and the defense led by Tanev was already starting to make a change. That left the gap between the defensemen as wide as the Grand Canyon. And you can't give than much ice to a guy like McDavid.

So it was the so called ' veterans' who really are the ones who blew that play.

Reactions: MS

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I've looked at the replay, and really Hughes is somewhat blameless on that goal. Sutter passes the puck to nobody in the neutral zone and the defense led by Tanev was already starting to make a change. That left the gap between the defensemen as wide as the Grand Canyon. And you can't give than much ice to a guy like McDavid.

So it was the so called ' veterans' who really are the ones who blew that play.
You make it sound like Sutter mindlessly threw the puck up the middle of the ice...he put it up the boards (did it hit the linesman skate?).

The bending over backwards on these boards, to scapegoat Sutter (and Myers) is frankly..comical.

Reactions: Zippgunn and Nomobo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->