Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 3-2 (Edler, Pearson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Our top line was out-top-lined by theirs.
Our goaltending was outplayed by theirs.
Our coach was out-coached.

One thing that baffles me is all the praise for Marky. An .864 save % is not good especially when you look at that first goal. He was average at best and being beaten by Mike Smith of all people is an embarrassment...

Markstrom carried the team last year and this year he is just regressing back to being a average goaltender.
I hope people don't flame him too hard for this season. It's not his fault that the team around him sucks.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
You make it sound like Sutter mindlessly threw the puck up the middle of the ice...he put it up the boards (did it hit the linesman skate?).

The bending over backwards on these boards, to scapegoat Sutter (and Myers) is frankly..comical.
Oh please, Pom. Cut out that nonsense. Literally everyone thinks Myers had a great game. That doesn't mean that the goal isn't his fault. He contributed to more winning than he did losing last night. EVERYONE THINKS HE HAD A GOOD GAME SO HOW IS THERE AN AGENDA?

Sutter sucked all game and that goal was his fault.

People have also pointed out how EP and Boeser were totally lost on the 2nd goal. Some people have said Boeser was downright terrible and that EP looked pedestrian, but no one has complained about an agenda against them.

Seems to me that it's more like people are ready to defend Myers and Sutter no matter what.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
I've looked at the replay, and really Hughes is somewhat blameless on that goal. Sutter passes the puck to nobody in the neutral zone and the defense led by Tanev was already starting to make a change. That left the gap between the defensemen as wide as the Grand Canyon. And you can't give than much ice to a guy like McDavid.

So it was the so called ' veterans' who really are the ones who blew that play.
I’m surprised by the pass Tanev is getting. The Canucks did not even have possession in the neutral zone and the puck was on our side of the red line. That is not the time to be initiating a change. Hockey 101 really.

I thought Quinn did a good job there. He cut off the lane to his side, realized Tanev wasn’t where he should be, and ‘almost’ knocked the puck away. Not much else he could have done.

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
The RS defender should not be chasing over above the faceoff circles almost to the blueline on the left side of the zone. Period. There's a reason you don't see defenders out there, pretty much ever, in contained zone situations and why this stuck out like a sore thumb. And it wasn't even like he was marking anyone closely. He was just floating into space basically in the LW position.

Nobody would be mad at Myers if he was near the front of his net protecting shooting lanes and clearing up rebounds while RNH walked off the other side boards for a shot from the top of the circles.

You realize that would be considered a better scoring chance than what transpired with the goal right? I feel you are really nit picking, what Myers did is perfectly acceptable without the benefit of hindsight.

Reactions: Zippgunn

ArchSloth

Oct 21, 2009
Calgary
You make it sound like Sutter mindlessly threw the puck up the middle of the ice...he put it up the boards (did it hit the linesman skate?).

The bending over backwards on these boards, to scapegoat Sutter (and Myers) is frankly..comical.

To be fair, he was trying to pass it to everyone's favourite Invisible Man, Loui Eriksson. I could see how Nobody and Loui Eriksson can be interchanged.

Yes, he was gassed. Yes, it hit the linesman. But he telegraphed that pass like nobody's business.

Reactions: ekimbo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Pretty much everyone has agreed that Myers played a really good game last night aside from one bizarre positioning blunder on the opening goal. That should have been the end of it aside from a few people insisting that a RH defender was correctly positioned almost to the point man on the wrong side of the ice.

And that play by Sutter was absolutely a really lazy, soft clear. A veteran like him needs to be aware of the situation, who the Edmonton players on the ice are, that his defenders need to change, and make a solid safe play there. If that was Goldobin or Gaudette making that play, they wouldn't see the ice again for two weeks.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Imo this is how the lines should be..

Leivo-Pettersson-Boeser
(Had great chemistry last year, Leivo is a solid possession player and works well with EP & Brock)
Pearson-Horvat-Miller
(Best line in game 1, fantastic line)
Ferland-Sutter-Virtanen
(Brings much needed speed and scoring to the third line)
Eriksson-Beagle-Gaudette
(Swap Gaudette with Sutter if down by a goal and in need of offence)

PP1:
Horvat
Miller
Boeser
Pettersson
Hughes (Edler)

PP2:
Gaudette
Pearson
Ferland
Edler (Hughes)
Myers

Reactions: IDJOTBOY

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Some of you are acting like it's terrible that hughes was caught flat foot against Mcdavid.

He's a rookie and will learn from this. I'm sure he feels terrible about it. In addition, Mcdavid has made the best defensemen in this league look silly. It's not just hughes. So relax
Ironically, Hughes did succeed in knocking the puck away with a quick stick. McDavid is just that good that he took it completely in stride (literally and figuratively) and continued deking from the puck's new position.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's my prediction for the season that Markstrom falls back to earth.

He likely will fall off as his play last year was fantastic when broken down into danger area opportunities. The Canucks gave up a boatload even if the shot clock didn’t show it. Last night was similar. He made several huge saves because when the Canucks break down they do it in spectacular fashion. And they do it often.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Markstrom carried the team last year and this year he is just regressing back to being a average goaltender.
I hope people don't flame him too hard for this season. It's not his fault that the team around him sucks.
This after 1 game???
Jesus people are sure jumping to a lot of conclusions based on 1.2 % of a season

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
"If that was Pettersson screwing up, he would get a pass from the posters here. They never criticize their favourites."

"Well, actually, it wasn't Pettersson, it was Sutter who doesn't bring any offense, so you kinda hope he doesn't give up gwg all the time. And even though Hughes is a favourite, there is a furious debate over how much blame he has."

"No one ever criticizes Marky. If he never gave up rebounds, we would win this game."

"Well, actually, a lot of people are criticizing Marky on that rebound. Although as mossy points out, he actually made the correct save selection after getting in the correct position, so really it was just a good shot, and if the defenders had simply done their job and cleared the rebound we would have been fine."

"You're toxic."

"I am."

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Keep the top six the same and run a bottom six of:

Baertschi Gaudette Leivo
Virtanen Beagle Sutter

Get Leivo off the PP
if things stagnate, maybe try switching up Baertschi for Ferland etc, just to see how they look as a line here or then.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Why are people blaming the only person on that play to get his stick on the puck and disrupt the play even in a little way? Hughes was the only person to actually make a play on that MethDavid goal. Tanev looked like a junior player and Sutter just gave up.
I'm not sure how you can suggest I'm "blaming" the kid. I put 90% of the blame on Sutter. My point was that it appears Quinn was surprised by Connor's explosiveness. He made a valiant attempt to get back in time and almost made the play. I think he will learn from this. I have really high hopes for him - super talented with a crazy high IQ.

Reactions: Nomobo

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Keep the top six the same and run a bottom six of:

Baertschi Gaudette Leivo
Virtanen Beagle Sutter

Get Leivo off the PP
if things stagnate, maybe try switching up Baertschi for Ferland etc, just to see how they look as a line here or then.

Came to post this.
Sub in Motte if one of Sutter/Beagle sucks or call up McEwan for injuries. I’d like to see the most offensively talented roster with Baer and Goldobin on it at least for one game but I doubt that happens.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Imo this is how the lines should be..

Leivo-Pettersson-Boeser
(Had great chemistry last year, Leivo is a solid possession player and works well with EP & Brock)
Pearson-Horvat-Miller
(Best line in game 1, fantastic line)
Ferland-Sutter-Virtanen
(Brings much needed speed and scoring to the third line)
Eriksson-Beagle-Gaudette
(Swap Gaudette with Sutter if down by a goal and in need of offence)

PP1:
Horvat
Miller
Boeser
Pettersson
Hughes (Edler)

PP2:
Gaudette
Pearson
Ferland
Edler (Hughes)
Myers
Leivo didn't even score at a Loui Eriksson pace on that top line. Constantly repeated that he was great, he was not....3rd line production with first liners in first line minutes is not good.

Reactions: Pip

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
The Oilers in this game remind me of the 15-19 Canuck teams. Get out-played but manage to pull out the win while losing a defenseman to injury because he was blocking too many shots. I have a good feeling we've turned the corner.

Reactions: Nomobo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->