Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 3-2 (Di Giuseppe, Miller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This team is gonna get destroyed by real nhl players.

No chance this team makes the playoffs.

Going to be a long year...

Good to see all the cliff divers out in full force...

Ugly game..lots of out of sync, blind passes to no one...Hughes looking questionable (he missed most of camp)...Mostly looked like a bunch of strangers playing with each other (which is basically what the Canucks are this season..10 new players)..Canucks were very late to the party in getting their full lineup playing with each other...One game,

Not worried though, they'll get it together..Before the 2019-20 season, the team looked like they couldn't win a game against anybody.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I really don’t understand the Dickson contract at all. It might have been defensiable if he was gonna be your shut down 3rd line center but as your 4th line center….

On the bright side, his cap hit is a little less than that of the 4th line center the Canucks traded to the Coyotes this past summer.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
My honest guess is that without Hamonic, we don’t make it unless we grab a solid RHD in the next week.

If Hamonic gets back, I’d lean towards us making it.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Team has no chemistry because Green used the entire pre season to audition Chiasson, Petan, Focht and Dries as if they were the difference in winning the cup.
Team has no chemistry because EP and QH were not here (and Boeser after the first game)and all the other missing regulars...A lot of new players ..QH and EP come back and everyone gets switched around again...Most of the rust tonight looked to be on the top end players.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I don’t think the preseason means anything at all, I’ll start judging this new roster when the regular season actually hits.

Why ? Why doesn’t it mean anything. We dressed the lineup we will be playing against an oilers team missing their stars.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Team has no chemistry because EP and QH were not here (and Boeser after the first game)and all the other missing regulars...A lot of new players ..QH and EP come back and everyone gets switched around again...Most of the rust tonight looked to be on the top end players.

Team is not as skilled as some fans think they are.
Team is out of sync because TG carries way too big of a roster every year until the last preseason game. So dumb. He know 98% of the roster he wanted 2 weeks ago. Should have only had 1-2 extras fighting for jobs. Not all this other crap

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Team will just flip a switch and “turn it on” Wednesday on game 1. Lol.

as if there are things they weren’t trying to do tonight. We’re they not shooting as hard? Not trying to pick corners because it’s o
Preseason? Did our goalie let in goals on purpose that he could have stopped cuz it’s preseason?

Imagine what the oilers will do to us with 97 / 29

Reactions: mossey3535

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Team will just flip a switch and “turn it on” Wednesday on game 1. Lol.

as if there are things they weren’t trying to do tonight. We’re they not shooting as hard? Not trying to pick corners because it’s o
Preseason? Did our goalie let in goals on purpose that he could have stopped cuz it’s preseason?

Imagine what the oilers will do to us with 97 / 29
We saw that the game before, the Oilers are more one dimensional when all the offensive players are in the line-up

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
A greasy, wet fart to end a thoroughly underwhelming preseason. While Travis Green certainly places importance on battles in training camp, I do feel he has a tendency to take too long to make up his mind. There’s something to be said for giving your final squad a few games together to gel.

With Petey and Hughes still shaking off the rust (and Boeser too, as he returns from injury), that chemistry would have been critical, I think. It seems like a slow start could be in the offing.

Credit to all of Di Giuseppe, Dowling and Highmore for staking claims to fourth line spots. I think they’ve done it (to start) - obviously things will change if/when Motte and Sutter return. But for the moment, I see them all on the opening roster.

Ditto for Nic Petan, although I think his spot is more tenous in that it depends on Boeser’s health. IMO, when Boeser is good to go, Petan will be sent to Abbotsford. But if he needs more time, Petan will start in the top nine.

I go back and forth on Chiasson. His deployment leads one to believe the Canucks are keen to sign him. He’s a veteran player who brings a fair bit to the table. But who does he displace on the roster? IMO, without Boeser to start, the club looks something like this before a possible Chiasson contract;

Hoglander - Pettersson - Miller
Pearson - Horvat - Garland
Petan - Dickinson - Podkolzin
Di Giuseppe - Dowling - Highmore

Extra: MacEwen

Hughes - Poolman
OEL - Myers
Rathbone - Schenn

Extra: Bowey, Hunt

Demko
Halak

Maybe he’s signed and bumps one of Petan, Di Giuseppe or Highmore? (Or bumps MacEwen out of the 13th F spot?)

The D pairings seem more set to start, the big surprise being Bowey making a case to stick around as a depth defensemen. Schenn had a pretty flat camp, but will get a chance to prove himself in the season, IMO.

The Juolevi Era may soon be coming to an end, either by trade or by waiver claim. So that’s a thing, too.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Podkolzin keeps giving us flashes of really good stuff. I would love to see him tried next to Petey and Boeser for a 3 to 5 game stint.

Podz Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Hoglander
Dickie Jt Miller Garland
Motte Sutter Highmore.

If Motte and Sutter are LTIR then use Di Giuseppe and Dowling ? All ugly chocies but its s 4th line. Wtf u gon do

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
A greasy, wet fart to end a thoroughly underwhelming preseason. While Travis Green certainly places importance on battles in training camp, I do feel he has a tendency to take too long to make up his mind. There’s something to be said for giving your final squad a few games together to gel.

With Petey and Hughes still shaking off the rust (and Boeser too, as he returns from injury), that chemistry would have been critical, I think. It seems like a slow start could be in the offing.

Credit to all of Di Giuseppe, Dowling and Highmore for staking claims to fourth line spots. I think they’ve done it (to start) - obviously things will change if/when Motte and Sutter return. But for the moment, I see them all on the opening roster.

Ditto for Nic Petan, although I think his spot is more tenous in that it depends on Boeser’s health. IMO, when Boeser is good to go, Petan will be sent to Abbotsford. But if he needs more time, Petan will start in the top nine.

I go back and forth on Chiasson. His deployment leads one to believe the Canucks are keen to sign him. He’s a veteran player who brings a fair bit to the table. But who does he displace on the roster? IMO, without Boeser to start, the club looks something like this before a possible Chiasson contract;

Hoglander - Pettersson - Miller
Pearson - Horvat - Garland
Petan - Dickinson - Podkolzin
Di Giuseppe - Dowling - Highmore

Extra: MacEwen

Hughes - Poolman
OEL - Myers
Rathbone - Schenn

Extra: Bowey, Hunt

Demko
Halak

Maybe he’s signed and bumps one of Petan, Di Giuseppe or Highmore? (Or bumps MacEwen out of the 13th F spot?)

The D pairings seem more set to start, the big surprise being Bowey making a case to stick around as a depth defensemen. Schenn had a pretty flat camp, but will get a chance to prove himself in the season, IMO.

The Juolevi Era may soon be coming to an end, either by trade or by waiver claim. So that’s a thing, too.
Great wording my friend. I can smell, hear and see your description.
019D96A5-636F-4305-8844-37C3CB312D72.gif

Canucks are coming hot out of the Gates!!!!

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Podkolzin keeps giving us flashes of really good stuff. I would love to see him tried next to Petey and Boeser for a 3 to 5 game stint.

Podz Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Hoglander
Dickie Jt Miller Garland
Motte Sutter Highmore.

If Motte and Sutter are LTIR then use Di Giuseppe and Dowling ? All ugly chocies but its s 4th line. Wtf u gon do

Garland needs to be in the top 6. He looks soft defensively

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lots of people will shrug their shoulders at a 2-5 pre-season. But one thing is certain. A start anything like the one they had a year ago will cost Green his job. So he's on the clock, starting Wednesday night in Edmonton.

I don't share the enthusiasm of other posters about that fourth line of Di Guiseppe, Dowling and Highmore. They did nothing all night before a late goal, and spent most of the night losing puck battles on the periphery. For the life of me, I can't understand what Benning saw in Highmore when he traded for him last season. He's quick skater but weak along the wall....not a fraction of player Lockwood was, who just got sent down.

And Green will probably stubbornly start the season with that pairing of Rathbone and Schenn. There were poor to start the pre-season and were no better tonight. And as most posters have pointed out, Myers dragged OEL down by his ankles in this game. But then again, I don't who you can pair with Myers these days.

Canucks need to flood the waiver wire ASAP with players ticketed for Abbotsford and get down to their opening night lineup. They'll have to be light years better on the road, with the first six games away from Rogers Arena.

Reactions: mossey3535

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Missed the game. How did Podkolzin look?
The whole team was flat, but Podz was one of the few players that made some things happen. Green put him on Pettersson's line for the second half of the game, and he set up Pettersson for some grade A chances. He made a great stretch pass from the goal line to spring Pettersson on a break-away. Imo, he is demonstrating that he belongs in the top 6. He absolutely doesn't need to be in the AHL.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Team has no chemistry because Green used the entire pre season to audition Chiasson, Petan, Focht and Dries as if they were the difference in winning the cup.

I was just thinking this, and wondering why no one else had expressed it. With so many more new faces than we usually wind up with during the offseason, it was actually a very unusual preseason for the Canucks, and they really needed to spend more time playing their ACTUAL lines as they'll appear in the season to find out if they'll have any chemistry. Hugely important, and yet apparently not important to the coaching staff. Partially to blame was the abscence of Petey and Huggy, but even over and above that: Green did not do this. At all.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Just doesn't seem like anyone is really developed here. Only rookies stand out. No one is singled out training wise to improve in certain areas.

Hughes should be taking daily drills vs the biggest players on the team, keep away in a phone booth, make him ******n nasty.
Double team Petey in every practice, no more of these flubbed rushes and missed shots. Get him on that Mackinnon wavelength.

Team is reliant on these guys turning into stars.
Last player to truly up their game from a rookie was Horvat..

Every year, country club vibes. Just not a hard working team. Talent is there, but its like nobody's bothered to put it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad