Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 3-2 (Di Giuseppe, Miller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think part of the reason some Canuck fans were bummed out about the last two exhibition efforts at home, is that they were eerily reminiscent of the way the team played at the start of last season.

I swear that bumbling turnover by Hughes on the pp, reminded me of some of those early games against the Habs last season when Canuck-killer Tyler Tofoli stripped the puck and scored on multiple clear-cut breakaways.

Is this team ready to start the season against a very tough Oilers team on Wednesday? Or do they get out the gate like they did last season, where they'd basically played themselves out of contention by the end of November? I guess we're about to find out.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I watched every game. Podz is improving and will do well with a playmaker like Petey.
My thoughts exactly. Podz is becoming a force down low, and would look good on the top line with Petey. And based on how uneventful the Horvat-Pearson-Hoglander line was throughout the pre-season, I'd move Hoglander on to the top line.

I swear if Green starts the season with a plug like Chiasson on the top line, I'm going to hit the remote and watch re-runs on ME-
TV.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I am an Oilers fan and I have Vancouver/EDM/CGY in 2nd in any order. From a coaching perspective, I always see Vancouver doing the same good things no matter who is on the roster. Very good at 5 on 5 possession. Your players always "look like" they know what to do and where to be. That is something I haven't seen us do well in years. You are selling your team way to short. I think Vancouver is EASILY a playoff team in our division. I didn't even talk about a top goalie that you have as well.

This team has been absolutely caved in 5-on-5 for years and has relied on PP scoring and elite goaltending for any success we’ve had. Our lack of a discernible system and inability to drive ES possession is this team‘a biggest problem.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think part of the reason some Canuck fans were bummed out about the last two exhibition efforts at home, is that they were eerily reminiscent of the way the team played at the start of last season.

I swear that bumbling turnover by Hughes on the pp, reminded me of some of those early games against the Habs last season when Canuck-killer Tyler Tofoli stripped the puck and scored on multiple clear-cut breakaways.

Is this team ready to start the season against a very tough Oilers team on Wednesday? Or do they get out the gate like they did last season, where they'd basically played themselves out of contention by the end of November? I guess we're about to find out.
I don't think that this season is going to be anything like last season (which was a sprint, not a marathon)...There's going to be ebbs and flows all season..Teams that are looking like world beaters in the first quarter, find themselves desperately trying to get the last playoff spot come April...Then you have teams like Vegas who don't take it to another level until halfway through the season.

Reactions: Indiana

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don't think that this season is going to be anything like last season (which was a sprint, not a marathon)...There's going to be ebbs and flows all season..Teams that are looking like world beaters in the first quarter, find themselves desperately trying to get the last playoff spot come April...Then you have teams like Vegas who don't take it to another level until halfway through the season.

That’s what it will look like but the reality will be what it always is…all but a couple playoff teams will be the ones that are in a playoff position at US thanksgiving.

Reactions: mossey3535

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
?

He definitely improved greatly and played well in the two games previous to this, but last night’s game was a pretty clear step backward from those games.
When the whole team is playing lethargically, it is difficult for 1 player to really stand out, but Podz showed good signs once again. He can set guys up at a top 6 level.

You could argue that perhaps he didn't play as well as his previous 2 games (I'd say he did, given how lethargic the rest of the team was), but to say he took a clear step backwards is huge misrepresentation of how he played.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Demko has not looked great for sure. He will always have a lot of leash because he’s well liked.

same with Podz. People want him to do well so much, if he farts in a pillow cushion they will comment on how good the fart smells. It gets to be a bit much.
Yeah podz clearly took a step backwards from his previous couple games which were good, but still not anything too impressive. He's got some skills but is a step behind in the thinking game still.

I still dont see anything close to 40 pts player unless he gets stapled to EP.
People who were expecting calder like season clearly never watched him play a single khl game and just stat watched.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yeah podz clearly took a step backwards from his previous couple games which were good, but still not anything too impressive. He's got some skills but is a step behind in the thinking game still.

I still dont see anything close to 40 pts player unless he gets stapled to EP.
People who were expecting calder like season clearly never watched him play a single khl game and just stat watched.

I mean, I stat watch but I don't see anything impressive in the stats either.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
When the whole team is playing lethargically, it is difficult for 1 player to really stand out, but Podz showed good signs once again. He can set guys up at a top 6 level.

You could argue that perhaps he didn't play as well as his previous 2 games (I'd say he did, given how lethargic the rest of the team was), but to say he took a clear step backwards is huge misrepresentation of how he played.

I was very complimentary of his two previous games, which were very good.

Last night was not. He had a couple individual moments but was not skating as well and had multiple puck management issues (unnecessary icings, poor turnovers). It isn’t a big deal and after the previous two games he’s pretty clearly going to be on the team, but it was absolutely a clear step backward from the previous games.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Agree with this..Some posters think that Green is going to be a hard ass if Pod messes up his defensive assignments (turnovers, icings)..Judging from Greens comments about 5 days ago, he told Pod to get out there and skate, and.... 'don't worry about the rest'...Meaning, just go out and do your thing.

It seems every game, he demonstrates high skilled plays..last night was no exception.

Last edited:
Reactions: logan5

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I am an Oilers fan and I have Vancouver/EDM/CGY in 2nd in any order. From a coaching perspective, I always see Vancouver doing the same good things no matter who is on the roster. Very good at 5 on 5 possession. Your players always "look like" they know what to do and where to be. That is something I haven't seen us do well in years. You are selling your team way to short. I think Vancouver is EASILY a playoff team in our division. I didn't even talk about a top goalie that you have as well.
Not with that defence and not with that coach.

Plus if Demko gets injured, the team is f***ed.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I was very complimentary of his two previous games, which were very good.

Last night was not. He had a couple individual moments but was not skating as well and had multiple puck management issues (unnecessary icings, poor turnovers). It isn’t a big deal and after the previous two games he’s pretty clearly going to be on the team, but it was absolutely a clear step backward from the previous games.
There was 1 icing, and one bad back hand pass. Throughout the game, every player who plays top 6 minutes is going to have a pass intercepted. Pettersson has passes intercepted. Miller has about 10 passes intercepted every game. Podz was one of the best forwards last night.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Pod looks like how Horvat did in his rookie year. Tentative, alot of puck management mistakes and his skating( Those in the prospect thread who said his skating was good really confuse me, it's at best average, but mostly clunky and slow) leaves him caught up and down the ice too often.

Just like Horvat I expect him to improve and adjust in the NHL and don't think he should be sent down. He still creates, with his playmaking and nose for the net, 2-3 chances a game, which we'll need from the bottom 6 this year

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
He needs to use his shot more though. He's passed up grade A chances in the slot multiple times in Pre season and has nothing to show for (mostly bad luck)

Reactions: Nucker101

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Pod looks like how Horvat did in his rookie year. Tentative, alot of puck management mistakes and his skating( Those in the prospect thread who said his skating was good really confuse me, it's at best average, but mostly clunky and slow) leaves him caught up and down the ice too often.

Just like Horvat I expect him to improve and adjust in the NHL and don't think he should be sent down. He still creates, with his playmaking and nose for the net, 2-3 chances a game, which we'll need from the bottom 6 this year
This is a fair assessment...watching him in junior tournaments and the KHL, his skating did not look out of place...Its exposed a bit at the NHL level..He did pick up an extra gear after his first two games however.

Reactions: Scorvat

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Really interesting comparison. I can kinda see the things you’re referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad