Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 3-0

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Well that sucked. Their trying but the confidence is shot.

One or two slightly positive things because we all know what the issues are so I'm not going to beat that dead horse.

I thought Hamonic played a pretty good game against their top two lines. I'm hoping he actually proves to be better than first expected because a strong defensive RHD is what this team needs for next year on the cheap. They are a fairly rare commodity that get paid well so hopefully Hamonic can be that stop gap for a year or two to give Hughes a reliable partner. Maybe a longshot but worth finding out if he still has anything to give.

Juolevi sat this game and I hope he at least gets rotated in a bit. I would put him in for Benn but I kind of want him to be showcased for a deadline trade and scratching him wouldn't help his value. Though playing with Myers may not be much better for it. :huh: An injury will probably take care of this conundrum.

Virtanen had some bright moments, I thought that second penalty was a bit unfortunate as exactly that sort of thing had been ignored in the previous games but they decided this game the standard would be different. He shouldn't have done it but damn it's hard when there is no consistency. I hate reffing in the NHL. He showed more jump, was finding shooting positions and just looked much better. Maybe they are showcasing him for a trade.

Gaudette can't buy a goal but I thought that line was pretty good. I really think Gaudette could have some value on the wing and if he manages to score on the numerous chances he seems to be getting every game he might get on a roll. He's a bit too easy to push off the puck though and that still concerns me a bit. Maybe he manages to sort out his stomach issue and can put on some weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Keeks had that great thread in the old goaliestore forum about RVH (or VH at the time) absolutely should not be used if the shooter was more than a stick length away in the wedge.

Dying in the pie.

Virtually every goalie I watch has the tendency to stay down in RVH (does anyone use VH anymore, I think I saw it once so far in the last year?) as the puck often moves it's way up the boards from the corner to the hashmarks (as the defenders take away the house but give up the area outside). When I point it out to my own goalies, they at first don't seem to be aware of it, like the habit is so ingrained. I finally got an (unsatisfactory) explanation from my kid, says he's concerned about creating holes while going from RVH to standing up square. I'm not buyin' it, I think he just can't admit that it is a combination of 1) laziness to get back on their feet and 2) post integration becoming a security blanket where the goalie can't lose the net.

Problem is, nowadays good shooters are lurking just in that zone waiting for you to be down. Then they zip one on you and because it's such an unsatisfactory position to be in when the guy is even on the half-boards.

I'm noticing lots of things. They're noticeable because in years past forwards with gumption would almost always go to the netfront. Now, every so often they give up that bullrush on purpose. It's smart because it's unpredictable especially when they DO rush the crease every other play. For example in this last game McDavid was on the right wing but knew he wasn't going to beat the defender. He was bisecting the faceoff circle. Just as he got past the faceoff circle into the purple triangle, he blindly backhanded it on Demko. Why? Because he knew he would be going down and there might be holes and/or awkwardness.

Last year Nilsson was here, he would sometimes go down in RVH when the attacking winger was AT THE FACEOFF DOT ON A RUSH. I witnessed opposing players just waiting for him to drop and then shooting it far side.

Variations of the McDavid move - if you can't turnstile the d-man, and you are on your weak side wing, curl along the the goal line and try to snipe it in the space just above the goalie's shoulders when they go down in the RVH. This works because they are on their forehand the whole time. Ditto for sudden stop and snapshot in the purple triangle because you're taking it from a bad angle and the d-man is likely to give you the outside because that's what they're taught to do.

In the PP net front jam play, more players aren't just pushing forward into the crease. If they have time, they back up and try to roof it. This move alone opens up the far side and the goalie is committed to blocking. RVH only really works if the forward is too much in a hurry and plays into your hand by coming closer and eliminating his own aerial angle for you.

The first Chiasson goal should be a set play everywhere in the league - fake to your backhand to get the goalie to post lean and then spin to your forehand with wide release position. This would work anytime the PK defence is in a narrow box.

Also, still have only rarely seen players execute on one of Keek's pieces of advice from about 2-3 playoffs ago when Rinne was starting to decline. Rinne and I think Varly gave up some terrible bad angle goals because of RVH fails and that was the start of NHL players preying on RVH habits. Keeks said on twitter that people should just shoot at the goalie's head everytime they went down in those situations since there's no way to control the rebound if it hits your head and it gives players a good target to shoot at. I think he's since deleted that post.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
2% chance in what is likely the weakest division.

From the athetic this morning, in the models they use no team has ever come back from something like below 5% to make the playoffs. The Blues everyone wants to talk about never fell below 10%.

Put a fork in them.
Id still give these guys another 15-20 games before righting off the season and selling it off

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Jake activated to the top 6,Hogz in the bottom 6 this morning...Interesting?

THAnks for posting POM.
Hopefully Benn in over OJ is because plentiful trade partners want to see him play. Otherwise this isn’t good for development. We should be focussing on next year.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess it's the coaches decision, and the games seem to be dwindling down on Green's Canucks coaching career. But why not try Michaelis for a game and sit Roussel? I mean how can it be any worse?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad