Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 3-0

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Canucks have a 2% chance of making the playoffs and 73% chance of finishing 6th in the division. It's not even March.

2% chance in what is likely the weakest division.

From the athetic this morning, in the models they use no team has ever come back from something like below 5% to make the playoffs. The Blues everyone wants to talk about never fell below 10%.

Put a fork in them.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The coach is completely delusional. "5 on 5 we played well. I thought our goalie played well" Please just stop. Stop deluding the team mentality that they did things well. No they didn't. Call out the people who are complete trash, and start talking about the real problems with the team. But no no no...every piss performance we have it is delusion after delusion "we played well, you good teams go through rough patches...etc, etc." NO, we didn't play well, we are a bad team because we have some bad players and terrible contracts. Even Torts and Alain said it as it is when the problem is blatantly apparent.

If good 5-on-5 play means giving up 4 or 5 breakaways then yes they played super well....

Reactions: John Snow

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Im not sure a guy who has faced the most dangerous scoring chances in the league "Is the issue"
I think there is a few more issues with the team than just him.
He isnt even even the most pressing issue.
But that’s the point....he is stopping those dangerous ones. He’s letting in the ones that shouldn’t go in.

Both last night.

Mossey pretty clearly has identified what he feels are the issues.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
But that’s the point....he is stopping those dangerous ones. He’s letting in the ones that shouldn’t go in.

So keep allowing the insane amount of dangerous scoring chances.
Dont address that? thats not an issue?

Might want to priotirzie what the main issues with the team are.
He's barely even top 5 on that scale

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

I don't think that's what people are saying. Clearly that needs to be addressed.

I think what people are saying that even if they limited all those chances they were still sunk last night because of the issues Mossey mentioned.

And it should be expected...bad team always find ways to lose.

Reactions: 420Canuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

No. Address everything but I think it’s fair to not be sold on Demko. Which is essentially my point and mossey did a much better job explaining the technical aspects of the issues with him.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
No. Address everything but I think it’s fair to not be sold on Demko. Which is essentially my point and mossey did a much better job explaining the technical aspects of the issues with him.

The original mention was what is the main issue with Vancouver
If he jumps to mind as number 1. Yikes.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The original mention was what is the main issue with Vancouver
If he jumps to mind as number 1. Yikes.
Was it?

You said you still think he’s the guy going forward and then you responded with a cam Robinson tweet.

Maybe the discussion on Twitter was the #1 issue. That’s not what I thought it was here.

I responded to you being sold on Demko being the guy. Does he even have 50 starts yet?

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Was it?

You said you still think he’s the guy going forward and then you responded with a cam Robinson tweet.

Maybe the discussion on Twitter was the #1 issue. That’s not what I thought it was here.

I responded to you being sold on Demko being the guy. Does he even have 50 starts yet?

No you responded with stats to try and dispute his last 10 games which is all i mentioned.
In the post game they were talking issues with the canucks and who should start more games coming up.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
2% chance in what is likely the weakest division.

From the athetic this morning, in the models they use no team has ever come back from something like below 5% to make the playoffs. The Blues everyone wants to talk about never fell below 10%.

Put a fork in them.

Yep. Playoff talk is absolute nonsense. 2% and it’s never happened and people still hope lol. That’s die hard. 25 games in, and this is where we are. No plans to change anything. Outside of a small nothing for nothing trade , this is our team next year too.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
What's the solution?

In the short term?

-Full scale gutting of management. Install interim management (Wall/Gear/Smyl) to essentially oversee deadline sale while new GM interviews happen over next 3-4 months.
-Fire Green and appoint an interim coach, new GM hires the next coach.
-Move all pending FAs for picks (21' + 22' drafts) and futures (no age gap reclamation prospects) This includes: Sutter, Pearson, Benn. Offer up Baertschi for a conditional pick. Offer up Gaudette for mid round picks. Offer up Jake for mid round picks. Approach Edler if theres anywhere he would be open to going, otherwise totally fine letting him stay.
-Send Eriksson directly to Utica and never call him up again—he's done with this franchise. Play hardball for once
-Waive Roussel and staple him to the taxi squad. Detriment to the team on nightly basis.
-Find out what we have in Rathbone/Michaelis/Macewan/Hawryluk/Lind once players moved and roster spots open up.
-Try to leverage extra expansion spots to acquire upgrades from other teams forced to move a D-man instead of losing for nothing in expansion, otherwise protect only the bare minimum of players and offer up all of our many many many bad players to Seattle.
-Look for bargain UFAs to round out depth on what will likely be another flat cap buyers market, especially on short term deals that can be moved at the next deadline.

Next GMs job is going to mostly be undoing 7 years of Benning blunders and selling Pettersson and Hughes on why they should stay past their UFA years.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking back on the wreckage of this season, you have to point to the first few weeks. Right out of the gate, the Canucks had probably the worst schedule of any team in hockey. Back-to-backs, travel and a team that clearly wasn't ready to start the season.

I have no idea if Jimbo had this schedule shoved down his throat and feels he wasn't able to do anything about it. But if so, he should quit. If you can't have your team's back when the schedule-maker is doing his thing, then it's either ineffectiveness or incompetence.

I know one thing....there's not a chance in the world that Quinn, Burkie or even Mike Gills would ever have tolerated such a ludicrous opening couple of weeks of the schedule.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Looking back on the wreckage of this season, you have to point to the first few weeks. Right out of the gate, the Canucks had probably the worst schedule of any team in hockey. Back-to-backs, travel and a team that clearly wasn't ready to start the season.

I have no idea if Jimbo had this schedule shoved down his throat and feels he wasn't able to do anything about it. But if so, he should quit. If you can't have your team's back when the schedule-maker is doing his thing, then it's either ineffectiveness or incompetence.

I know one thing....there's not a chance in the world that Quinn, Burkie or even Mike Gills would ever have tolerated such a ludicrous opening couple of weeks of the schedule.
The Canucks did get screwed in the schedule, but realistically, I think you can only point to 2 or maybe 3 games where the brutal schedule was a factor...

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I'm would guess the first tentative schedule rolled out and the Canucks didn't even make a call to the league after seeing their opening schedule....they just.....ran out of time.

Reactions: pomorick

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Other than where he got walked in the first, Hamonic didn't look too bad last night.(played 11 minutes).He's kind of redundant now though....With no post season play this season, may as well run with Juolevi down the stretch, and cut back Edlers minutes.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'm would guess the first tentative schedule rolled out and the Canucks didn't even make a call to the league after seeing their opening schedule....they just.....ran out of time.
Somebody, I'm guessing Weisbrod, changed all the office clocks to show the time in the 2400 hours format & Jethro got confused.:sarcasm:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Mehhhhhhhh. Where does it end. Everyone has their own show. Should we pin Dave Pratt’s podcast? What about Stanchion, Brough, etc etc.
That's easy, on HFboards I think it ends where HFboards chooses

I just put forward the suggestion that supporting that particular independent post-game show is a good idea. Why would whoever chooses to pin that one show at the top, have to do so for others? I mean anyone can start a thread for pratt if they want.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Other than where he got walked in the first, Hamonic didn't look too bad last night.(played 11 minutes).He's kind of redundant now though....With no post season play this season, may as well run with Juolevi down the stretch, and cut back Edlers minutes.

That's sort of the problem with the roster. Way too many time you have to start player game reivews with "Other than that bad goal the goaltender played well" or "If it wasn't for that post they'd be back in it" or "Other than that missed check that led to a goal..."

Mistakes happen for any player but it seems a ridiculous number of times we (as a group) have to have these qualifying statements to look for the bright side. The moral victories if you will.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That's sort of the problem with the roster. Way too many time you have to start player game reivews with "Other than that bad goal the goaltender played well" or "If it wasn't for that post they'd be back in it" or "Other than that missed check that led to a goal..."

Mistakes happen for any player but it seems a ridiculous number of times we (as a group) have to have these qualifying statements to look for the bright side. The moral victories if you will.
Agreed, its a results based business..The intent of my post was not to absolve Hamonic on his gaffe, but to comment on his overall game last night.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Agreed, its a results based business..The intent of my post was not to absolve Hamonic on his gaffe, but to comment on his overall game last night.

Agree. Hughes and Hamonic each had a bad gaffe that resulted in a breakaway for the Oilers but they played much better compared to the first few games before Hamonic's injury.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Benn is once again awful on the left side. Didn’t Green have over 40 games last year where he could see that the Myers-Benn pairing doesn’t work?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad