Post-Game Talk: Oilers Broom Predators 5-1

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Winning against NSH is like winning against CGY. It means nothing as those teams are absolute garbage.

Better than losing to garbage teams, though, right?

Say what you will about this year's Oilers but they're at least beating the teams that they should beat for the most part. Too lazy to look it up but Jack Michaels tweeted their record against sub .500 teams earlier, it was something like 11-1-3 before tonight.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013

Say what you will about this year's Oilers but they're at least beating the teams that they should beat for the most part. Too lazy to look it up but Jack Michaels tweeted their record against sub .500 teams earlier, it was something like 11-1-3 before tonight.
All that shows is that we might be the best of the worst.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I kinda would prefer it if this wasn't the case honestly, because if you're losing to bad teams once in a while at least you can say "well that's fixable" as its an effort issue. If you're losing to everyone better than you that probably just means you suck :laugh:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I kinda would prefer it if this wasn't the case honestly, because if you're losing to bad teams once in a while at least you can say "well that's fixable" as its an effort issue. If you're losing to everyone better than you that probably just means you suck :laugh:
Not necessarily!

This can also mean that you have cruddy system execution with talented players, which you can get away with when playing the bad teams but not against teams with good system execution and good talent.

I think we're finally seeing better system execution. :)

Oct 30, 2011
We seemed to get the majority of the chances, and our PP had way more jam than usual, which is nice.

Seems like Lander is the perfect Swedish army knife; he'll play any role.

It's hard to believe we have a winning record against any club, but Nashville has been nice to us.

I really have no sympathy for a goalie crapping the bed. I think we had a lot of grade A chances in general.

I bet Nashville wishes they had played Dubnyk

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Tue, 25 Mar 2014 Sharks Oilers
Fri, 28 Mar 2014 Ducks Oilers
Sun, 30 Mar 2014 Rangers Oilers
Tue, 1 Apr 2014 Oilers Sharks
Wed, 2 Apr 2014 Oilers Ducks
Fri, 4 Apr 2014 Oilers Coyotes
Sun, 6 Apr 2014 Ducks Oilers
Tue, 8 Apr 2014 Avalanche Oilers
Thu, 10 Apr 2014 Kings Oilers
Sat, 12 Apr 2014 Canucks Oilers

Ya!

:laugh:

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
If Yak and Hendricks are out well need to call up 2 forwards

I'd like to see Tyler Pitlick and Curtis Hamilton given the spots.

:Lines:

Hall-Gagner-Perron
Lander-RNH-Eberle
Hamilton-Gordon-Pitlick
Gazdic-Smyth-Jones

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Flames Final 13 Games:
Fri, 21 Mar 2014 Predators Flames
Sat, 22 Mar 2014 Flames Oilers
Mon, 24 Mar 2014 Sharks Flames
Wed, 26 Mar 2014 Ducks Flames
Fri, 28 Mar 2014 Rangers Flames
Sun, 30 Mar 2014 Flames Senators
Tue, 1 Apr 2014 Flames Maple Leafs
Thu, 3 Apr 2014 Flames Lightning
Fri, 4 Apr 2014 Flames Panthers
Mon, 7 Apr 2014 Flames Devils
Wed, 9 Apr 2014 Kings Flames
Fri, 11 Apr 2014 Jets Flames
Sun, 13 Apr 2014 Flames Canucks

Edmonton Final 12 Games
Thu, 20 Mar 2014 Sabres Oilers
Sat, 22 Mar 2014 Flames Oilers
Tue, 25 Mar 2014 Sharks Oilers
Fri, 28 Mar 2014 Ducks Oilers
Sun, 30 Mar 2014 Rangers Oilers
Tue, 1 Apr 2014 Oilers Sharks
Wed, 2 Apr 2014 Oilers Ducks
Fri, 4 Apr 2014 Oilers Coyotes
Sun, 6 Apr 2014 Ducks Oilers
Tue, 8 Apr 2014 Avalanche Oilers
Thu, 10 Apr 2014 Kings Oilers
Sat, 12 Apr 2014 Canucks Oilers

New York Islanders Final 12 Games
Sun Mar 23, 2014 Blue Jackets Islanders
Tue Mar 25, 2014 Islanders Hurricanes
Thu Mar 27, 2014 Islanders Lightning
Sat Mar 29, 2014 Devils Islanders
Tue Apr 1, 2014 Panthers Islanders
Wed Apr 2, 2014 Islanders Senators
Sat Apr 5, 2014 Capitals Islanders
Sun Apr 6, 2014 Islanders Blue Jackets
Tue Apr 8, 2014 Senators Islanders
Thu Apr 10, 2014 Islanders Canadiens
Fri Apr 11, 2014 Islanders Devils
Sun Apr 13, 2014 Islanders Sabres

Florida Panthers Final 13 Games:
Thu Mar 20, 2014 Panthers Coyotes
Sat Mar 22, 2014 Panthers Kings
Sun Mar 23, 2014 Panthers Ducks
Tue Mar 25, 2014 Senators Panthers
Thu Mar 27, 2014 Hurricanes Panthers
Sat Mar 29, 2014 Canadiens Panthers
Mon Mar 31, 2014 Panthers Devils
Tue Apr 1, 2014 Panthers Islanders
Fri Apr 4, 2014 Flames Panthers
Sun Apr 6, 2014 Stars Panthers
Tue Apr 8, 2014 Flyers Panthers
Thu Apr 10, 2014 Maple Leafs Panthers
Sat Apr 12, 2014 Blue Jackets Panthers

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Great game overall. Saw a lot of good things out there. Our PK was good as usual. Fasth is very solid in net.

Nice to see some fire in Jordan. Lets hope it was not just for one game. I want him to finish the season strong. I liked his playmaking this game, kinda looked like Bäckström on that powerplay.

Klefbom played well in the quiet. Really liking him so far. Lander with Nuge and Ebs was a lot better than Yak. Made that line look legitimate both offensively and defensively.

Hall has been really good lately and it doesn't always show up on the scoreboard. Did some nice work on the first goal and later on got his own one as well.

I can't get enough of Marincin.

Schultz deserves some recognition for this game. He fired some dangerous slap shots and I didn't even know he had one until tonight. Why doesn't he use it more often?

After this game, I'm all for it. I know one game can't provide an entire picture of how the team is putting things together, but he wasn't missed offensively, and there was much less confusion out there... Lander provided some nice sandpaper for our top 6, showing exactly what we all knew: that we need it.

I know we have a rough schedule ahead of us, but if we keep this type of game up (effort wise, if not winning every game) and we end up out of Ekblad territory, I think we trade Yak and the 1st + whatever to get some serious top dmen help. Not talking franchise, since that won't happen, but some top pairing guys who can eat up tough minutes and let our bottom-four dmen (cause they all are bottom-four or even bottom-6 dmen) have reduced responsibilities.

Wouldn't be against that. If Lander shows he's good enough to stay on that line with Nuge and Ebs I'm all for it. We looked a lot better without him in the lineup. I like Yak and believe in his potential but he needs a lot more time to become a good player in this league. I don't know if we got that time. Ideally we'd like to compete for a playoff spot next year. Yak will need at least another year to figure it out. If we can get a good return on him and our 1st I think we should at least seriously consider it.

I like Petry and have been pushing him since almost the day he got drafted. Oilers have holes that need to be addressed. The bigger picture long term is that Schultz, Nurse and Klefbom ( Marincin looks good as a lonmg term number 4) are going to be the core going forward and Petry could be expendable and I think he could get back some key elements that we are missing.

I know some here do not like the idea and have decided there are other options. But to get the pieces we need, we will need to give up something good. I think at the draft table (unless the rumoured Hextall becoming GM becomes true) that Homer and Mact could build a trade of Eberle and Petry to the Flyers with either B Schenn or Sean Couturier (and other parts) coming back to the oilers to address the number 2 center spot.

We have alot of crap no other teams want and we will not be able to pawn off 3rd and 4th liners to get a legit number 2 center

He may become expendable in the future but right now we really can't afford to let him go. Schultz, Nurse, Klefbom and Marincin are all very young and inexperienced. It would be a disaster handing the reins over to them. Besides, Petry and Marincin has been a great pair for us so far, why break that up?

NUge scored in an empty net.

Rinne was really off tonight. Not sure if he has the flu but just worst I've ever seen him. About 3-4 bad goals on the night.

Hell even Gagner managed to score in this game.

What happened to you?

Beranek

Mar 12, 2014
meh. time to stop watching draft picks and just get whomever we get. they won't help for 2 or 3 years anyways.

oh yeah. and pick for need, this time. no matter what.
Yeah they should probably draft Fleury if they miss out on Ekblad even though he's ranked like 8th or 9th.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
Winning against NSH is like winning against CGY. It means nothing as those teams are absolute garbage.

Take what you want from it. Easy to rip on them again for being the underachievers they've been all year. Easy because I too have rolled my eyes at them for much of the season. I've sold my share of tickets this year, trust me.

But I suppose we could emphasize Rinne's poor play, undermine Nuge's goal, and cite Petry's shortcomings, or find value in what the team legitimately did well in the game. Passing was more crisp in all zones, they had jump, some moxy for a change, solid goaltending (again), and showed quality effort.

It's not about points down the stretch (beyond draft placement), but how we show that we actually get how to play competent, competitive hockey. That's a start.

And so is beating the teams you're supposed to beat. That hasn't always been something we're inclined to do.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
meh. time to stop watching draft picks and just get whomever we get. they won't help for 2 or 3 years anyways.

oh yeah. and pick for need, this time. no matter what.

good thing we need a C, bigger top 6 wingers and a #1 D man so we can still take the BPA

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the highlight of the game for me wasnt the goals and overall play. It was when Clune crosschecked Gazdic in the back right in front of the bench and eberle came in and gave him a shot and then Gaustad as well, then RNH got in there pushing and mixing it up as well. It may seem trival on the surface but it was really a case of teammates sticking up for each other. it is a sign that the team is growing closer and watching out for each other. The skill guys know Gazzy has their back so its refreshing to see that everyone has his as well.

Also Klefbom is going to be a monster.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
NUge scored in an empty net.

Rinne was really off tonight. Not sure if he has the flu but just worst I've ever seen him. About 3-4 bad goals on the night.

Hell even Gagner managed to score in this game.

I like you, but why are you trying so hard to turn a good game by the Oilers into a polished turd?

The Oilers match up well, and also had one of their better games.

say what you want about Nashville, they are still realistically a better team than Edmonton, and the Oilers kicked their butts.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
the highlight of the game for me wasnt the goals and overall play. It was when Clune crosschecked Gazdic in the back right in front of the bench and eberle came in and gave him a shot and then Gaustad as well, then RNH got in there pushing and mixing it up as well. It may seem trival on the surface but it was really a case of teammates sticking up for each other. it is a sign that the team is growing closer and watching out for each other. The skill guys know Gazzy has their back so its refreshing to see that everyone has his as well.

Also Klefbom is going to be a monster.

I was telling that to my fiancee, when it happened, how it was funny that Eberle and Nuge were being "tough" with Gadzic on the ice, nice to see.

And yes Klefbom is, he's stupid strong too. There was one play in the 2nd period where he physical beat Paul Gaustad on a puck against the boards in their own zone. Gaustand is a large man, and that really impressed me. He's going to be a player, no doubt in my mind.

What I would love to see, at some point in the final games, is Marincin and Klefbom paired together, just to see how it would work.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

yet they're both still better than the Oilers. don't call a team garbage until the one you cheer for can at least pass them in the standings. doesn't make you look good.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Nice to see guys like Lander, Klefbom, and Marincin, come up and play well. I hope they can continue to develop

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Yeah they should probably draft Fleury if they miss out on Ekblad even though he's ranked like 8th or 9th.

They absolutely should not, I would argue that we need a center or power forward prospect more then a D prospect we are stacked with D prospects. Klefbom, Schultz and Marincin have all looked like they will be consistant top 4 dman sooner then later, and we haven't even seen the best prospect in Nurse yet( and hopefully won't unless he forces his way on the team next year) Musil/Gernat/Simpson can round out bottom pairing in future.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Nuge used a new stick last night according to his twitter. Just sayin

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
the body count will be high

off the top of my head

M. Fraser
R. Jones
P. Larsen
J. Petry
R. Smyth
J. Joensuu
S Gagner

I know some people will question Petry being there, but I think he and Eberle are the two most movable assets to get back what they need. Gagner will be moved to force them to get a legit number two center

Petry isn't going to be moved unless we are getting a stronger defense man back or have one that is immanent. You don't move out one of the two top 4 dmen on this team unless you are upgrading.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad