Post-Game Talk: Oilers Broom Predators 5-1

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
We seemed to get the majority of the chances, and our PP had way more jam than usual, which is nice.

Seems like Lander is the perfect Swedish army knife; he'll play any role.

It's hard to believe we have a winning record against any club, but Nashville has been nice to us.

I really have no sympathy for a goalie crapping the bed. I think we had a lot of grade A chances in general.

I bet Nashville wishes they had played Dubnyk

A swedish army knife is just a knife. You're thinking about a swiss army knife.

It's nice to see improvement. The addition of goaltending is ofc crucial. But Hendricks grit combined with he emergence of Marincin, Klefbom and Lander out of the AHL has given us more depth through the line up.

Also for the last two games the team has looked a little better organized. The earlier wins were usually based on goalies standing on their heads and the team battling harder than they had before and making a little less stupid plays. These last two games we've looked like a team with some sort of plan on the ice.

I've also liked the "cross" they've used on the PP the last few games with one man on the point, one on each half board, one netpresence and one in the high slot. I think they stole it from one of our latest opponents, don't remember which, but it's an interesting look I've seen some swedish teams use it and it gives you a lot of options while also being naturally dynamic since the guy in the high slot sort of is forced to move around so there's lesser chance of it being static, he's also kinda hard to defend against.
We're still terrible gaining the zone on the PP, but once set up I like the look of it so far. Nice steal from the coaches.

I think Yak going a little crazy last game sent a bit of a message through the roster that it's everyones job standing up for each other. Both RNH and Ebs bringing out their inner pugilist. They both looked like they had some jump last night.

Klefbom is looking every bit the player I thought he'd be when I hyped him before arriving in NA, he's doing nothing fancy, just winning puck battles, being in position, defending the blue lines and efficiently moving the puck. He' a very good possesion player without keeping much possession himself. Once he's fully settled in he'll be a fantastic defensive defenseman, just what this team needs. The great thing is he can eat big minutes without missing a beat due to his insane physiqe so you can use him a lot once he's good enough to handle it.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
The preds are also a chronic non playoff club who are worse then we are and sinking. The only difference in the teams standings this year being due to Dubnyk. That's it. Without that fool we're several pts ahead of the preds.

If it wasn't for that fool, we'd be in a playoff race right now. He cost us minimum of 5gms. I'd say 10 or more. Throw the Oil 10-12pts today and we're right in the thick of it. Maybe we squeak in at that point and get demolished by St Lou, or finish a little outside. I'd take either fate over where we will end up now.

I, for one, am glad to see them winning for a change and fighting hard to get those wins.

I was away for 11 days over March break and watched the last 7 games in the last 4 nights. Good hockey. 4-2-1 record. The 2 losses against teams that we will need to find a way to beat in the future if we're ever going to be considered a competitive team. But the compete level was definitely there. And I loved the fight against St Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad