Oilers become first team in history to open season with 5 comeback wins

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This should have been the Main Boards thread about the Oilers. This is notable. The other 5-0 start thread... too early and not necessary.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
It is a bit of a weird stat though, i would not consider a one goal deficit that big of a deal. They were down by 1 in all their games but scored pretty quickly to tie it and did not really face a huge deficit through their first 5 games.

Its not like their having miracle come backs down by 2 or 3 with 5 minutes left. Its a little bit of an overblown achievement.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nice to have a real coach for a change, no??

Real GM might deserve more of the credit. All of Holland's pick ups (and there's alot that's been inserted into this lineup) have worked out exactly as planned. PKers were brought in to PK and are getting it done. Bottom 6ers were brought in to add speed and chip in every now and then and they have. Goalie brought in to help Kosko to make them both better with a lighter work load is working. Neal was brought in, and we all know how that's going.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Weak schedule, advanced statistics are more important, OiLeRz SuCk LoLz... blah blah blah.

Team has beaten 2 solid squads and looked great in 3 of their 5 wins. No easy teams in the NHL (except the Sens) and this is a hell of a start.

Nice record (come from behind streak) too. Shows the resilience of this squad.

Reactions: rajan68

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
They're finding ways to win games. In October games can be had. They're proving it. 97 & 29, Neal, Mike Smith, and Klefbom are pulling their weight. All without Larsson btw.

All points go in the bank. Harder to get points late in the season.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Glad it means the world to Oiler fans.

5-0 feels good. Still a lot of hockey left, I think the average Oiler fan is passionate but generally quite knowledgeable about hockey. Cautious optimism is a more accurate consensus sentiment.

Seeing the team claw back and win has been fun to see. Haven’t seen that in forever from the Oilers.

Draisaitl looks like the best player in the world right now, it’s been fun hockey to watch.

Reactions: canuckking1

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
So Edmonton beats 5 teams that apparently are considered the worst in the league. Yet all I hear is that Edmonton is the worst team in the league. Love it....

Reactions: kovnik and rajan68

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Actually a pretty crazy stat. I wouldn't necessarily say it's as impressive as it's "first time ever" moniker, but still a pretty cool stat.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
5-0 feels good. Still a lot of hockey left, I think the average Oiler fan is passionate but generally quite knowledgeable about hockey. Cautious optimism is a more accurate consensus sentiment.

Seeing the team claw back and win has been fun to see. Haven’t seen that in forever from the Oilers.

Draisaitl looks like the best player in the world right now, it’s been fun hockey to watch.
Yeah not against the Oilers, I hope you guys have a good season.

Reactions: snipes

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
What's even more impressive is that they can come up with this stat.

I don't think it's that hard even manually. You find teams with 5-0-0 starts that obviously included zero shutouts and there's not _that_ many of them every season.

I wonder what's the record of most comeback wins in a row i.e. this one without the "from the start of the season"-criteria.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Reminds of that year the Leafs started their first few games being down 2-0 and coming back to win it.

Sorry that's nothing like this. That's like saying you remember when Dave Andreychuk scored 54 goals in one season in comparison to Gretzky's record of 92 in one season.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Sorry that's nothing like this. That's like saying you remember when Dave Andreychuk scored 54 goals in one season in comparison to Gretzky's record of 92 in one season.
Yeah but if Dave played with Mcdavid he would have easily gotten 93 that year.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't think it's that hard even manually. You find teams with 5-0-0 starts that obviously included zero shutouts and there's not _that_ many of them every season.

I wonder what's the record of most comeback wins in a row i.e. this one without the "from the start of the season"-criteria.

I guess. I still wouldn't want to go through the entire history and over every team and game to see if they were behind :laugh:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Actually a pretty crazy stat. I wouldn't necessarily say it's as impressive as it's "first time ever" moniker, but still a pretty cool stat.

Im surprised it's the first time ever to be honest.

Funny enough, the 16/17 Vancouver Canucks were close to doing this as well. They kicked off the season with 3 consecutive OT comebacks against Calgary, Carolina and St. Louis. Then they beat Buffalo without falling behind and lost to the Kings 4-3 in SO after coming back from 3-0 down.

If they let Buffalo to get a lead and still won, and beat the Kings in the SO instead of losing it we would be talking about the Oilers matching the 16/17 Canucks record.

Not to be a party pooper to Oilers fans though, i know the 16/17 Canucks weren't exactly a powerhouse :DD

Reactions: Ezekial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad