Post-Game Talk: Oilers beat Rangers, 3-1. They played a complete game!

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
Best game of the season. RNH and Pouliot were scary good together. I'd keep that line when Hall gets back:

Pouliot/RNH/Eberle
Hall/Arcobello/Yakupov
Perron/Draisaitl/Purcell
Joenssu/Gordon/Hendicks

I like that too, but I would swap Draisaitl and Arcobello.

I think Draisaitl creates more room for Yakupov/Hall.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I wasn't either when he no look passed the puck right to a Ranger in the slot with a couple minutes left in a 1 goal game..

That was odd, I believe he got swindled by a Ranger player calling for it. It appeared there were almost two Ranger players between him and the cross pass to Nikitin, not sure how that happens.

I have no time for Nikitin and 4.5 million contract.

Also, when a dman is having a bad run, they pair him with Petry to help him out, not sure if that is a confidence helper for Petry or a killer when mistakes happen for whatever reason.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That was odd, I believe he got swindled by a Ranger player calling for it. It appeared there were almost two Ranger players between him and the cross pass to Nikitin, not sure how that happens.

I have no time for Nikitin and 4.5 million contract.

Also, when a dman is having a bad run, they pair him with Petry to help him out, not sure if that is a confidence helper for Petry or a killer when mistakes happen for whatever reason.

Don't get me wrong I like Petry but man when he does backfire its certainly noticed.

This fragile team dodged a bullet there in a game that should already have been won.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Don't get me wrong I like Petry but man when he does backfire its certainly noticed.

This fragile team dodged a bullet there in a game that should already have been won.

They have yet to really throttle a team this season. IMO it is coming and soon. Had the Rangers not played Lundquist we could've won that game handily. It just goes to show you how good an elite goalie can be and how they can keep you in games that you have no business being in.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They have yet to really throttle a team this season. IMO it is coming and soon. Had the Rangers not played Lundquist we could've won that game handily. It just goes to show you how good an elite goalie can be and how they can keep you in games that you have no business being in.

Pouliot's GWG wasn't his best effort though.

Honestly if it was Dubnyk we would probably be *****ing about how he made all those spectacular saves but let in the softy that cost us the game. :sarcasm:

Gambl0r83*

I agree with everyone saying splitting RNH and Hall looks like a good idea to spread the wealth but we are all jumping the gun big time.

A couple decent games is not a big enough sample size and others have already mentioned the ice time problems this could start up.

We know Hall and RNH play well together, its nice to see he can play well with others but we will have to see how RNH does without Hall against some tougher match ups as well.

People want to demote Hall, our best player, to the second line with Arco and Yak of all players, because it 'spreads the scoring lines. But chemistry is everything, Hall with Arco/Yak, ew. Remember when Nuge was out for 2 games, people said the exact same thing about Nuge being on the 2nd line, didn't work out. Hall enjoys the spotlight and seems to enjoy performing on it, putting him on the 2nd line while Nuge/Ebs drive the 1st, might slow down some of his confidence. That first line Hall-RNH-Ebs is a certifiable threat every night, with Hall being the catalyst

Last edited by a moderator:

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
People want to demote Hall, our best player, to the second line with Arco and Yak of all players, because it 'spreads the scoring lines. But chemistry is everything, Hall with Arco/Yak, ew. Remember when Nuge was out for 2 games, people said the exact same thing about Nuge being on the 2nd line, didn't work out. Hall enjoys the spotlight and seems to enjoy performing on it, putting him on the 2nd line while Nuge/Ebs drive the 1st, might slow down some of his confidence. That first line Hall-RNH-Ebs is a certifiable threat every night, with Hall being the catalyst

Completely disagree.
Hall is not a child who needs to play with his buddies or needs everyone to look at him. Hall is a man who wants more than anything to WIN. Hall will give his best in any spot which might help the team.

Being put on another line is not being demoted. Whatever line Hall is on might be deemed as number 1.

Besides, team >> Hall. Whatever it takes to win.

Re chemistry, let's see how it goes until Hall is back. Judge at that time. Who knows, maybe Nuge and Eberle can do fine without him on their line and then having to figure out where to put Hall would be a very nice delima for sure.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Hall and Yak has not worked well together in the past. I liked the Hall - Arco - Eberle line. It raises Arco's play which is what we should be trying to do with all our players. RNH and Pouliot looked good together as well, so I'd roll with this:
Hall - Arco - Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Yak/Purcell
Perron-Drai-Purcell/Yak
Joe-Gordon-Hend

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria

Wow...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I don't know what some people see in the Hall-RNH-Eberle line. It's an endless cycle along the perimeter with those three, nobody to do the dirty work. It also puts tons of pressure on Nuge to cover for the defensive deficiencies of Hall and Eberle who almost constantly cheat for offense leaving him and the 2 Dmen on an island.

Plus Nuge differs to Hall to drive the line which IMO stunts his development. I think Nuge needs to be put in a position to be a line driver and playing with Hall doesn't allow that.

Also, it's not a demotion, not sure why that keeps being said. Any line that Hall is on will automatically get a bump up in icetime. If anything, this will keep the Nuge line fresh as they wouldn't have to play so many minutes especially in games where the Oilers are playing from behind.

And finally, Hall and Yak have worked well in the past. Yak has had his best offensive stretch BY FAR in his career playing alongside Hall. They just need a center to be the defensive cushion which Arco is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad