Half-Assed GDT: Oilers at Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Does anyone think Hitch is saying now what thet !@#$%@% did I get myself? They started off good but now playing horrible. My lord they were a mess defensively last night.
In interviews he looks like a shell of himself. He is pale and doesn't exude the usual fire he's had. I wonder if he's having health problems, or simply just getting too old for this grind. Either way, I think he'll gracefully bow out after this season.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013

What I saw there was: My old team plays the way I wish my new team would.

I liked how he had a special shout out for Steen when he talked about depth... "they have players on their 4th line who were 2nd line players two years ago."

I also like how he always takes the blame off his players. He starts with "not to take anything away from them, but we're a tired team running on fumes" and ends with (in response to poor starts) "that's on us (coaches).....that's on me"

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I thought watching last night that both McJesus and Drai look like they are both spent. Watching away from the play, they did a whole lot of gliding with bursts here and there. For the most part, they looked pretty disinterested. Can you blame them though? McDavid could be a generational talent that withers away in Edmonton and never reaches full potential.

Reactions: Bendak

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I thought watching last night that both McJesus and Drai look like they are both spent. Watching away from the play, they did a whole lot of gliding with bursts here and there. For the most part, they looked pretty disinterested. Can you blame them though? McDavid could be a generational talent that withers away in Edmonton and never reaches full potential.
Well to be fair, he DID sign on the dotted line saying he would play there till 2025-2026.

I don't blame him for being disinterested but I don't feel bad for him, personally. Not just for the money, but he could have seen what he was getting in to.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Well to be fair, he DID sign on the dotted line saying he would play there till 2025-2026.

I don't blame him for being disinterested but I don't feel bad for him, personally. Not just for the money, but he could have seen what he was getting in to.

He signed his extension the summer after they almost made the Conference finals - at the time he signed the expectations were that the Oilers would be in the running for winning the division.

Nobody expected the Oilers to be in the dregs of the Pacific and missing the playoffs moving forward back in July of 2017... So, that's pretty dismissive to say he knew what he was signing up for.

An incompetent GM hindered things, as nobody expected Lucic to decline that soon - the hope was the last 2 years of the contract would look bad, but the first 4 would be good or at least decent. Instead Lucic was good in year 1, decent in year 2 and looks horrible in year 3. That blue line was never really addressed either and injuries definitely expose it - again incompetence from the FO.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He signed his extension the summer after they almost made the Conference finals - at the time he signed the expectations were that the Oilers would be in the running for winning the division.

Nobody expected the Oilers to be in the dregs of the Pacific and missing the playoffs moving forward back in July of 2017... So, that's pretty dismissive to say he knew what he was signing up for.

An incompetent GM hindered things, as nobody expected Lucic to decline that soon - the hope was the last 2 years of the contract would look bad, but the first 4 would be good or at least decent. Instead Lucic was good in year 1, decent in year 2 and looks horrible in year 3. That blue line was never really addressed either and injuries definitely expose it - again incompetence from the FO.

I wouldn't even say Lucic looked decent in year 2. He had 34 points in 82 games and did that while playing a significant amount of time on McDavid's wing. 8 total points in the last 43 games of the season in 2017/18. Even if you call year #2 'decent' as a whole, the entirety of the hockey community saw that he was playing bad by the end of year 2. The pace of his decline was staggering. He was on a 54 point pace after New Year's Eve of 2017. That would have been right on par with the first season. He then had 8 points in the last 43 games of the season and has managed just 18 points through 71 games this year. He collapsed essentially overnight.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Just want to give Jay Bouwmeester a shout out for being a beast at 35 and resurrecting a career I was certain was over earlier this season. Workhorse, still our best LD at 1v1 coverage, PK mainstay.... this ****ing guy is going to be VERY difficult to replace at some point.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Just want to give Jay Bouwmeester a shout out for being a beast at 35 and resurrecting a career I was certain was over earlier this season. Workhorse, still our best LD at 1v1 coverage, PK mainstay.... this ****ing guy is going to be VERY difficult to replace at some point.
He's had one hell of a career.

He went like 9 straight years without missing a game. He's really been an iron man his whole career aside from last season. Has played 20+ minutes a night basically his whole career since breaking into the NHL at 18.

Is a 2-time All-Star, and has represented Team Canada 3 times in the World Juniors, twice in the Olympics, twice in the World Cup, and 4 times in the World Championships.

He's played a ton of hockey and can still skate like the wind at almost 36 years old. He definitely doesn't get the respect he deserves, and I am just as guilty of that myself. This guy must really keep himself in unbelievable shape because what he's done is impressive.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
* * * * the oil ... i will never feel sorry for a team that has won it all , they can drift into oblivion and die ..ffs the hurricanes and lightning won a cup before us .. whos next ? seattle ?
I agree. There is an arrogance about that entire franchise that goes back to the Gretzky era. Like they own hockey or something. I don't feel remotely bad for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
* * * * the oil ... i will never feel sorry for a team that has won it all , they can drift into oblivion and die ..ffs the hurricanes and lightning won a cup before us .. whos next ? seattle ?

I don't feel bad for the organization, I feel bad for the fans. The last time they won it all was 1990. How many of their fans were not even born yet. lol

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't feel bad for the organization, I feel bad for the fans. The last time they won it all was 1990. How many of their fans were not even born yet. lol

You do know that 1990 was only 29 years ago and people live a lot longer than 30 years on average, right? From the 2016 census, over 60% of Edmonton's population was 30+ years old (demographics very similar for Alberta as a whole). So fair to say, considerably more than half were alive then.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
You do know that 1990 was only 29 years ago and people live a lot longer than 30 years on average, right? From the 2016 census, over 60% of Edmonton's population was 30+ years old (demographics very similar for Alberta as a whole). So fair to say, considerably more than half were alive then.

Oof, you must be right, those SOBs have to suffer. /s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad