Oilers are up to Cap 2016 - Team Needs to Start Winning Now

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
the point the OP made was the oilers have to start winning now

my statement back up that point.

Top players are now on contracts were they are UFA when then end--if the oilers do not winning soon, the players will lose interest in staying around

current oiler players who will UFA's when their contract ends and their age

RNH-currently 20 (good) contract 7 years 27 UFA
Hall- Currently 21 contract expired 6 years 27 ufa
Eberle currently 24 five years 29 UFA

So just as Hall and RNH are reaching their prime they will be UFA and if the oiler not had 3 or 4 winning season--Do not see them sticking around

By giving them those contracts and not bridge contracts or 2 or 3 years--oilers have kicked the door open where winning is the only option

First off: Hall is 22 now, will be 23 this season. RNH is 21, 22 in the spring. Along with Eberle, they are signed to exceeding cap-friendly deals that take them through the most productive years for NHL forwards (forward production usually peaks around 24-25). The window to win is sometime in the next six or seven years.

Now the argument should be the Oilers need to win soon because this is when these players will be at their most productive (which should help with the whole winning thing). But the two year window you have arbitrarily chosen isn't anything but a random guess/hope.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
If Oilers fall early in the season, we will see wholesale trades of elite players.if this group cannot win you must bring in winners.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
If Oilers fall early in the season, we will see wholesale trades of elite players.if this group cannot win you must bring in winners.

Hopefully management isn't as reactionary as you want them to be.

As I said:

Hall is 22 now, will be 23 this season. RNH is 21, 22 in the spring. Along with Eberle, they are signed to exceeding cap-friendly deals that take them through the most productive years for NHL forwards (forward production usually peaks around 24-25). The window to win is sometime in the next six or seven years.

It take a long time to build a winner, especially when you have to hit reset halfway through (as the Oilers did when they canned Tambo). When you're going through hell....keep going.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
oops, missed this isn't a new thread :) basically wrote same thing twice. We're watching a cap team right now if we keep Drai up and him and Yak are given ample opportunity to hit bonuses. Can't add more salary or we risk wrecking next season with a cap penalty. Where we are now is the realization of Lowe's tank for talent vision.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
The Oilers should start win now. Young men must elevate their game to winning mode or the advantage of rebuilding will be missed. If we look at the team 2015-2016 Petry, Schultz and Yakopov need new contracts. Petry Schultz combination is 10M+ probably 11M. If we let Petry go we need to bring someone like Tyler Myers back 5,5M. Yakopov asks bridge deal or 6M.
If the core can be defined Schultz, Yakopov, RNH, Hall, Eberle and first paring defenseman it is roughly 35 M
Complementary pieces are Scrivens /Fast, Perron, Purcell, Marincin and Boyd. They all need contracts 2016 or they must be replaced by better players. They are joining to the group Ference, Pouliot, Fayne and Nikitin. I think that this group is 35 M. Some need to go and if entry level players are not able to replace them and be better the Oilers are in serious trouble. The team probably cannot add free agents and is up to salary cap in the summer 2016.
We must stop speaking about bright future. We must compete for play off spot now and do some damage in the playoffs in 2015-16.

I agree we need to turn north now. Unfortunately, MacT, KLowe, and D. Katz disagree.

I'm not sure they believe they ever "need" to win.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
When I start the this thread my claim was that we need to start winning now. It did not happen so it is obvious that the core of the Oilers will Never develop to the group that can contend for the SC. It is also obvious that veterans that have been brought here are Basically wrong ones.

First thing is to move our captain. Ference was Eakin's captain. He has raised some interest so he must go prior to the trading deadline. In a same way Jeff Petry who will not want extension here. We cannot lose him for nothing . I think that this enough to clear room for the winners in defense group . That room should be filled with UFA veterans and Nurse should start and end next season in minors.

Yakopov needs to be traded too. Let's swap him to Adam Larson who is a right shooting big dman. Both players have chance to elevate their careers. We do not have anything to lose in this deal because yak is destined to become a 4th liner here or will be lost in waivers when we start to be serious enter to playoffs. Roy must be traded too. He has some value now. But I doubt he is able to this level. We need to sign also 2 UFA veterans center so Draisalt can start and end next season in AHL . I think that Eberle and Hendricks need to be moved too. Eberle cannot produce without Hall. 6M a year to complementary player is way too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad