Oilers are up to Cap 2016 - Team Needs to Start Winning Now

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
The Oilers should start win now. Young men must elevate their game to winning mode or the advantage of rebuilding will be missed. If we look at the team 2015-2016 Petry, Schultz and Yakopov need new contracts. Petry Schultz combination is 10M+ probably 11M. If we let Petry go we need to bring someone like Tyler Myers back 5,5M. Yakopov asks bridge deal or 6M.
If the core can be defined Schultz, Yakopov, RNH, Hall, Eberle and first paring defenseman it is roughly 35 M
Complementary pieces are Scrivens /Fast, Perron, Purcell, Marincin and Boyd. They all need contracts 2016 or they must be replaced by better players. They are joining to the group Ference, Pouliot, Fayne and Nikitin. I think that this group is 35 M. Some need to go and if entry level players are not able to replace them and be better the Oilers are in serious trouble. The team probably cannot add free agents and is up to salary cap in the summer 2016.
We must stop speaking about bright future. We must compete for play off spot now and do some damage in the playoffs in 2015-16.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Not that I disagree, we do need to start winning...or at the very least show steady improvement.

How does how we do this year make any difference for 2016?

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
The Oilers are basically 1 decent player off being a cap team this year. I'd love for them to start winning, but we'll see.

Gambl0r83*

I believe as well they will make the playoffs this year

Unfortunately, most members that post on these boards that call themselves fans are the first to put down this idea

When/if they make the playoffs this year, imma grab a beer, go back to the summer topics, and have a laugh or two, at the same members that would be posting GO OILERS! if they are winning. Don't worry, i'll be quoting alot of you

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton

Unfortunately, most members that post on these boards that call themselves fans are the first to put down this idea

When/if they make the playoffs this year, imma grab a beer, go back to the summer topics, and have a laugh or two, at the same members that would be posting GO OILERS! if they are winning. Don't worry, i'll be quoting alot of you

It's fine if you want to make these predictions, but don't say others aren't fans because they don't drink the koolaid with you. Some of us are trying to be realistic based on past results and who else is in the division. You think they will make the playoffs, but it is based on nothing but home-team bias. I'd love for them to make the playoffs this season, but if I had to put a significant amount of money on one result or the other, it would for sure be that they will miss the playoffs.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

You are still a fan if you don't clap like a trained seal about the Oilers incompetence each and every year. The Oilers franchise essentially filled the bank with fan good will cash when they went to the finals (even if they didn't deserve the good will.) since that time they have spent the good will very liberally each year and are now in a serious overdraft situation. Once they actually produce some results and add a bit of good will cash instead of taking it out people will be more tolerant.

The Oilers themselves are the authors of this Steven King novel, not the fans.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Not that I disagree, we do need to start winning...or at the very least show steady improvement.

How does how we do this year make any difference for 2016?

We have pretty much put together the team. If they are not winning now how they can win after 2016. Many second wave contributors (veterans)are replaced by entry level players (inexperienced). I think that next 2 seasons determine a lot the potential of the team.

I do believe in that Arco can replace Boyd and Draisalt will ultimately replace Arco as a second line center. Klefbom and Nurse will replace Ference and Nikitin. I can see potential improvement in these replacements but they need to be paid well at some point too.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
We are one 2nd line center and one 25 min/game defenseman away from playoff contention

We also need the West to get worse.

My expectation right now we are competitive. I don't expect this team to lose 5-0 on a semi-consistent basis and be run out of games in the first period.

I expect many close losses, 2-1, 4-3 OT and so on. I think at this point in the "process" i'm ok with that. At least most games should be watchable.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
The Oilers should start win now. Young men must elevate their game to winning mode or the advantage of rebuilding will be missed. If we look at the team 2015-2016 Petry, Schultz and Yakopov need new contracts. Petry Schultz combination is 10M+ probably 11M. If we let Petry go we need to bring someone like Tyler Myers back 5,5M. Yakopov asks bridge deal or 6M.
If the core can be defined Schultz, Yakopov, RNH, Hall, Eberle and first paring defenseman it is roughly 35 M.

Good lord! What are they paying Yak and Schultz in this scenario?

Complementary pieces are Scrivens /Fast, Perron, Purcell, Marincin and Boyd. They all need contracts 2016 or they must be replaced by better players. They are joining to the group Ference, Pouliot, Fayne and Nikitin. I think that this group is 35 M. Some need to go and if entry level players are not able to replace them and be better the Oilers are in serious trouble. The team probably cannot add free agents and is up to salary cap in the summer 2016.
[/QUOTE]

Really? What's the cap gonna be that year?

We must stop speaking about bright future. We must compete for play off spot now and do some damage in the playoffs in 2015-16.

Playoffs might be within the realm of possibility next year. This year? Not a chance.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

I think we have roughly a 20% chance of making the playoffs this season. Feel free to quote that. How about you quote us non-fans when we're proven correct?

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield

Faith is trust to something unseen. I believe in play off bound too. If the season sucks I start living with statistics and standings

1. Top line can still improve
2. Arco is better 2nd line center than Gagner
3. We add some size with capacity to score to wings: Pouliot, Purcell
4. Nikitin and Fayne are improvements to Fraser and others

Addition to this. We do not need to rush Nurse, Draisalt and Klefbom. Kelfbom can be brought during the season gradually and Nurse and Draisalt will enjoy their season in juniors.

We have some assets so we can trade for Tyler Myers if season starts well and maybe bring one experience center here (Sad Saku Koivu is not available any more) and add even more fire power and strength to the line up

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
We have pretty much put together the team. If they are not winning now how they can win after 2016. Many second wave contributors (veterans)are replaced by entry level players (inexperienced). I think that next 2 seasons determine a lot the potential of the team.

I do believe in that Arco can replace Boyd and Draisalt will ultimately replace Arco as a second line center. Klefbom and Nurse will replace Ference and Nikitin. I can see potential improvement in these replacements but they need to be paid well at some point too.

I just feel like you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
Like I said, as long as we are progressing and not regressing, that is all I can ask for anyway. If that progression takes a big leap this year or next year or whatever, I'm good with that.
I feel like this team will get better every year...now

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I just feel like you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
Like I said, as long as we are progressing and not regressing, that is all I can ask for anyway. If that progression takes a big leap this year or next year or whatever, I'm good with that.
I feel like this team will get better every year...now

We always seem to be resetting the 'now' part though aren't we? We sure as heck did not get better last year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
One of the main reasons going for another center doesn't make sense.

Our prospects need to start contributing.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If YAK and Schultz are producing like 6M players and we have a 5M first pairing Dman then we would be a playoffs team.
Sadly I dont expect to have a core of 6 stars.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think we are a cap team if Leon and Yak hit bonuses. Might actually go over the cap if that happens. Just by the philosophy that spending to the cap should mean you are a good team I agree we should be at least challenging for a playoff spot. However, we all know it is very questionable if our cap space has been used wisely.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
They're still one offseason away from being a complete team in my opinion. One more top prospect, a couple more free agents like this year to fill out the roster, and the continuing growth of guys like Nurse, Klefbom, and Marancin, and I think the team is ready to compete. The cap will go up next year, I don't think it'll be an issue.

Eirhead*

If we look at the team 2015-2016 Petry, Schultz and Yakopov need new contracts. Petry Schultz combination is 10M+ probably 11M.

Or we start trading. I suspect one of Schultz or Petry will be traded.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
It's hard to read over and over again people saying things along the lines of: "out of the realm of possibility" or "will never happen" regarding playoff possibilities. Do I believe that the Oilers will make the playoffs this year? No, I do not think so. But am I certain? Nope. There's no way one can be. For all we know Kopitar gets injured, Getzlaf has the worst year of his career, etc. etc. (not that I'm saying that's all it would take, even in that scenario, the team would have to play better than expections).

I expect the Oilers to be more competitive this year, like Fixed to Ruin suggested. But it might turn out more so leaning towards one end of the spectrum or the other. Maybe :)sarcasm:) we'll be the Av's of last year. Maybe we'll be even worse than what the negative posters believe we will be.

Moral of the story, when people use certainty in their posts regarding anything in the future, it makes their argument weak.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It's hard to read over and over again people saying things along the lines of: "out of the realm of possibility" or "will never happen" regarding playoff possibilities. Do I believe that the Oilers will make the playoffs this year? No, I do not think so. But am I certain? Nope. There's no way one can be. For all we know Kopitar gets injured, Getzlaf has the worst year of his career, etc. etc. (not that I'm saying that's all it would take, even in that scenario, the team would have to play better than expections).

I expect the Oilers to be more competitive this year, like Fixed to Ruin suggested. But it might turn out more so leaning towards one end of the spectrum or the other. Maybe :)sarcasm:) we'll be the Av's of last year. Maybe we'll be even worse than what the negative posters believe we will be.

Moral of the story, when people use certainty in their posts regarding anything in the future, it makes their argument weak.

I agree on your first point. The oilers, if things go right could make the playoffs this year western conf or not. I would not be totally surprised if the oilers make the playoffs, I also would not be totally surprised if they were bottom 3 in the league.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Whether we like it or now--the oilers have to start winning. Nearly all top players are on contracts what make them UFAs when the end and another few missed playoffs we will start shopping them instead of losing them for nothing. Eberle has 5, Hall 6 and RNH 7--- time will start to fly very quickly

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Whether we like it or now--the oilers have to start winning. Nearly all top players are on contracts what make them UFAs when the end and another few missed playoffs we will start shopping them instead of losing them for nothing. Eberle has 5, Hall 6 and RNH 7--- time will start to fly very quickly

The Oilers should definitely look at contending before Hall retires.

I don't understand the point of this post. Do you think they aren'tplanning to win at some point?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

I don't understand the point of this post. Do you think they aren'tplanning to win at some point?

What the Oilers brain trust plans and what comes to pass is like two trains passing each other on dual tracks at 100 kn an hour.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

the point the OP made was the oilers have to start winning now

my statement back up that point.

Top players are now on contracts were they are UFA when then end--if the oilers do not winning soon, the players will lose interest in staying around

current oiler players who will UFA's when their contract ends and their age

RNH-currently 20 (good) contract 7 years 27 UFA
Hall- Currently 21 contract expired 6 years 27 ufa
Eberle currently 24 five years 29 UFA

So just as Hall and RNH are reaching their prime they will be UFA and if the oiler not had 3 or 4 winning season--Do not see them sticking around

By giving them those contracts and not bridge contracts or 2 or 3 years--oilers have kicked the door open where winning is the only option

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad