News Article: Oilers are 7th most valuable team in NHL ($1.1 billion dollar valuation by Forbes)

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
That's a bit surprising to see, after Forbes listing the oilers as middle of the pack for so many years.

I'm sure having McDavid, Draisaitl, and a still new Rogers Place has done wonders for the team's value.

It's because they short changed us...

“The biggest rise in these valuations belongs to the Oilers, who doubled in value from last season’s ranking, to $1.1 billion. We now believe that we were short-changing them on revenue in the past and have verified that the team ranks in the top quartile in the NHL in every important revenue category, including local media, where they are in the top five alongside the Maple Leafs, the Canadiens, the Detroit Red Wings and the Chicago Blackhawks.”

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Sorry, I dont know much about business, but a few of my business school friends said that Katz lost money every year with the Oilers...

Reactions: oilers'72

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
It's because they short changed us...

Yep, read the linked article after posting ;)
Kinda goes to show how accurate / valid these kinda lists really are though.

Nevertheless, it's good to see. I remember all too well the dark days of Pocklington, Les Alexander, that scam artist from "Bern", and finally the amazing but still strapped for cash EIG.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Sorry, I dont know much about business, but a few of my business school friends said that Katz lost money every year with the Oilers...

It's possible that the team maybe "loses" money in terms of annual operating income vs. expenses.
But if the team's value continues to rise (which most major sports teams do these days), Katz really doesn't have to worry about losing on his investment.

...And that doesn't even take into consideration where the real money comes from. Katz used the Oilers / Arena (and its sweetheart deal from the COE) to leverage an absolutely massive Realestate development of downtown.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Speaking of, is the development of the Entertainment District (I refer to use the silly Ice District moniker) all but scrapped due to COVID putting a screeching halt on residential and commercial development or are there still plans to carry out the original blueprints of what was planned once the economy picks back up?

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Speaking of, is the development of the Entertainment District all but scrapped due to COVID putting a screeching halt on residential and commercial development or are there still plans to carry out the original blueprints of what was planned once the economy picks back up?

The entertainment part of the district is all but completed already - including the plaza, the Stantec tower and the Marriot tower.
Phase II, located on the North side of the rink (along the LRT line) will be primarily residential (up to 12 towers and a new park) and is still in planning as far as I know.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
The entertainment part of the district is all but completed already - including the plaza, the Stantec tower and the Marriot tower.
Phase II, located on the North side of the rink (along the LRT line) will be primarily residential (up to 12 towers and a new park) and is still in planning as far as I know.
Wasn't there supposed to be a podium with a theater and tower opposite of the Marriot on the west side of the district on the former Greyhound site as well?

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Wasn't there supposed to be a podium with a theater and tower opposite of the Marriot on the west side of the district on the former Greyhound site as well?

The theatre was scrapped a couple years ago already. But the rest of the podium should supposedly open next year. No sure about the tower portion.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
The theatre was scrapped a couple years ago already. But the rest of the podium should supposedly open next year. No sure about the tower portion.
They started on that but have done maybe 2 floors and then they took down the crane. They are completing the grocery store at the south end of that project.

Reactions: oilers'72

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's possible that the team maybe "loses" money in terms of annual operating income vs. expenses.
But if the team's value continues to rise (which most major sports teams do these days), Katz really doesn't have to worry about losing on his investment.

...And that doesn't even take into consideration where the real money comes from. Katz used the Oilers / Arena (and its sweetheart deal from the COE) to leverage an absolutely massive Realestate development of downtown.
Which is something the Edmonton downtown needed

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

No chance. The NHL salary cap pretty much guarantees that any team with the revenue base the Oilers have makes money. Now for tax purposes there are ways to make profits go away but in terms of the actual bottom line to Katz's pocket this team was a plus as soon as the new arena opened. (Last year of course may have been an exception.)

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad