Oilers 9-8-2 under Hitchcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Todd Mclellan does not even deserve a Junior coaching gig at this point. He was a terrible game manager and hated line matching and never used his timeouts.

Seriously, his line changes were just a roulette wheel and had no sense or direction or who matches up against who. Mcdavid would constantly see the top defenseman on him even at home where the matchup's should favor the home side.

He was inept, he did not know how to play to the strength or weakness of a roster. Players were commenting how every line tried to play like Connor's line and had no identity but it all changed with Hitch and how every unit is used differently.

Is this the kind of coach you want on your team? Buyer beware.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Todd Mclellan does not even deserve a Junior coaching gig at this point. He was a terrible game manager and hated line matching and never used his timeouts.

Seriously, his line changes were just a roulette wheel and had no sense or direction or who matches up against who. Mcdavid would constantly see the top defenseman on him even at home where the matchup's should favor the home side.

He was inept, he did not know how to play to the strength or weakness of a roster. Players were commenting how every line tried to play like Connor's line and had no identity but it all changed with Hitch and how every unit is used differently.

Is this the kind of coach you want on your team? Buyer beware.

It's because this team doesn't have much firepower outside of its star power. So if you can't run and gun, defend well and let your stars win, when they can. I would say it's a means of coping with a substandard roster.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
If they keep him. he will be good for a season, MAYBE two. Then his message will get stale.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Have they actually played better with the coaching change or is this just a result of the new coach ignoring Talbot lol.

Even Talbot has been good in the games he's been in since the change. The difference is that Hitchcock has the forwards coming back to help in their own zone more. No more relying on big stretch passes to break out, it's quick passes from the D to forwards and break out that way, everyone supports each other. It's night and day watching how the Oilers play. He's also got the D pressuring the opposing team more at the blue line letting them get less simple entries and having to dump the puck in more.

Just simple things that apparently were too much for Mclellan.

Reactions: ClinicallyOilered

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If anybody has insomnia..watch the Oilers....Quite the difference in style of play than before..They are winning,but that is not much fun to watch...

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Thru this hot streak they do. It’s the only way they win games is unsustainable goaltending. And goals against called back. They won’t be getting these Blum es all year is what I’m saying

Considering the Oilers haven’t been vastly outshot , dominated possession wise, I’m going have to assume you’re talking straight from your back end at this point.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Have they actually played better with the coaching change or is this just a result of the new coach ignoring Talbot lol.

Their defensive play is a lot better. Most of the games they are just suffocating the other teams offensive attack and not giving up much.

I’ll take a 2-1 win all day long over a 5-3 loss.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Considering the Oilers haven’t been vastly outshot , dominated possession wise, I’m going have to assume you’re talking straight from your back end at this point.
Considering the Oilers goalies seem to have recorded a 0.936 sv%, I'm gonna assume you're right with your last statement. Didn't look at 5v5 only, though

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
He's much better putting players in positions to win and playing a system that lets them play to their strengths.

Goaltending has been better and I do think goaltending was a big part of mclellans downfall......maybe 80%.

The way teams have been running interference and picks and generally doing anything they can to slow McDavid down it really limits the Oilers being able to be a run and gun offensive team. It is true they don't really have the depth (or they are relying on growth to fill it) but the way they are defended it seems the system change was a good strategy to keep the games in a winnable range.

Another thing with Hitch is that he is a much better communicator.....and that might be key for that market.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If anybody has insomnia..watch the Oilers....Quite the difference in style of play than before..They are winning,but that is not much fun to watch...

It really isn't that different.

McDavid is and was the entertainment. The only difference is now the rest of the roster plays boring hockey instead of getting lit up which obviously wasn't all that entertaining for Oilers fans in the first place.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
They don’t trap. There’s no 1-3-1 or 1-4 going on. They forecheck like crazy.
shhhhhhh...

No we. Uh.. we trap ya. Thats it. We trap y'all.

5 men in the neutral zone, zero forecheck.
All clutch and grab.

Lucic is Derrian Hatcher v2.0

TBH it is boring as hell for opposing fans. I saw what we did to Gaudreau last night. We snuffed out his skating lanes into the boards and just forced him to pass up or dump. I don't think Gaudreau was able to get past the red line without dumping it.

It was a bit of that rope a dope strategy Patrick Kane complained about when Nashville swept them. It's horrible to watch as a fan of the opposing team but great as an Oiler fan.

I was completely comfortable sitting on a 1 goal lead in the 3rd knowing the Lames would have to play like Pejorative Slurs to get a tying goal. Their 4 shots in the 3rd were all outside attempts.

Like i said, frustrating as hell to watch for Flames fan, but a stress free win for Oilers.

A 1 goal lead in the third by a Mclellan coached team was like watching a team of erratic Yakupov's being chased by bees and forcing horrible plays up the middle.

A Hitch coached 1 goal lead means you're either winning by that goal or scoring an empty netter.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
shhhhhhh...

No we. Uh.. we trap ya. Thats it. We trap y'all.

5 men in the neutral zone, zero forecheck.
All clutch and grab.

Lucic is Derrian Hatcher v2.0

TBH it is boring as hell for opposing fans. I saw what we did to Gaudreau last night. We snuffed out his skating lanes into the boards and just forced him to pass up or dump. I don't think Gaudreau was able to get past the red line without dumping it.

It was a bit of that rope a dope strategy Patrick Kane complained about when Nashville swept them. It's horrible to watch as a fan of the opposing team but great as an Oiler fan.

I was completely comfortable sitting on a 1 goal lead in the 3rd knowing the Lames would have to play like ******s to get a tying goal. Their 4 shots in the 3rd were all outside attempts.

Like i said, frustrating as hell to watch for Flames fan, but a stress free win for Oilers.

A 1 goal lead in the third by a Mclellan coached team was like watching a team of erratic Yakupov's being chased by bees and forcing horrible plays up the middle.

Or Calgary playing the third game in 4 nights.. It's a game you guys should've won and did, but nobody looked good last night.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
It's called the new coach bump. Does anyone think it will last? Not enough talent on the team. Plus the players know Hitch is gone at the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad