Post-Game Talk: Oilers 6, Canadiens 2

North

Jun 25, 2009
I probably like Davidson even more than most here, but if it were up to me, he would stay in the lineup even with Sekera and Larsson back.

Sekera-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Klefbom-Davidson

Maybe with Benning rotating in and out for whoever isn't really on their game.

The only thing is I don't want Benning sitting too long so maybe he goes to Bakersfield as first call up option and Auvitu or Stanton is the 7th.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Strangely it does. We need to stop the peaks and valleys though and just play consistent, 100% effort hockey every game.
its stunning and frustrating how they can look so good against the Flames, Habs and Bruins and Wings and Golden Knights
yet so lifeless and listless against the Flyers and Sabres

I contend this is a good team that cannot find consistency

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lucic was shooting the puck really well in this game. His shot has never looked better IMO.

That one off the post had some stank on it!

I think both Caggiula and Slepy are trade bait.

That woudn't surprise me.

I think that penalty from Maroon in the third, is one of the reasons why this team doesnt get a lot of calls.

Agreed, that was a terrible penalty to take and a good way to screw us out of PP's and to make Maroon even more of a marked man. It was a 50/50 call and the game was out of hand, mumble under your breath when he's out of earshot.

boy Puljujarvi is arriving...great pass to Connor on the 6-1 goal

Yeah not too shabby. That whole line is clicking in a big way right now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Strangely it does. We need to stop the peaks and valleys though and just play consistent, 100% effort hockey every game.
What the team really needs to do is figure out clubs that clog the NZ. That wasn't happening tonight and it was wide open spaces. This is exactly the game the Oilers want to play, and opponents shouldn't.

That said theres a good chance Toronto tries for a track meet tomorrow as well. But not many clubs will.

Nice that the club can stick around a bit during this injury spell. Really need a W tomorrow.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
its stunning and frustrating how they can look so good against the Flames, Habs and Bruins and Wings and Golden Knights

High highs and low lows. Those peaks and valleys are killing us right now.

We start playing consistent and we'll quietly claw our way back. The Pacific is weak and we've played well for the most part against our Pacific foes in the limited games we've had.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon

That's why, to me, this seems like more of a players issue, than a coaching or GM issue.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What the team really needs to do is figure out clubs that clog the NZ. That wasn't happening tonight and it was wide open spaces. This is exactly the game the Oilers want to play, and opponents shouldn't.

That said theres a good chance Toronto tries for a track meet tomorrow as well. But not many clubs will.

Nice that the club can stick around a bit during this injury spell. Really need a W tomorrow.

Agreed. The trap for some reason gives us fits (I blame coaching).

Run and gun or physical back and forth games we can handle. It's the passive, clog the middle defence that we struggle with.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The only thing is I don't want Benning sitting too long so maybe he goes to Bakersfield as first call up option and Auvitu or Stanton is the 7th.

He’d likely get claimed on waivers if you tried to send him down.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If they bothered to show up against Buffalo and Philly, they would have had 6 wins in 7 and be 1 game above Bettman .500.
Yeah I know, woulda coulda shoulda but how frustrating is that.

As for this game, it was so refreshing to see a competent bottom pairing in there. I swear, Gryba must have cost the Oilers at least a couple of games this season. When Larsson and Sekera return, I'd like to see Davidson stay on that bottom pairing and take Benning out who has been a giant mess all season, can't handle the puck or pass the puck at all.

Also, I know that Cammalleri scored but please sub him out for Slepy. RNH desperately needs some speed on his line. Don't know what they have against Slepy, he has been pretty good in his role and speed, lets get more speed in there please.

Oh and Puljujarvi on the PP in place of Letestu. Of all the no brainer moves this is most no brainer of all. I know I've been tough on the kid but he's playing with confidence, give him a real opportunity on the PP and his confidence will grow further. I wonder if they are keeping him off the PP on purpose to keep the numbers down on the 2nd contract, just doesn't make sense to keep him off the PP otherwise.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Every team in the NHL would put a claim on Benning

Yeah I don’t think he would make it past Arizona or Buffalo.

If you need a roster spot opened Slepyshev is still waiver exempt and you keep 2 D and 1 F sending Gryba as the other down once Larsson and Sekera are back. I doubt anyone claims Gryba.

North

Jun 25, 2009
He’d likely get claimed on waivers if you tried to send him down.

I wasn't sure if he was waiver eligible. That's that then.

No sending him down.

It's unfortunate though because sitting would do nothing for him.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wasn't sure if he was waiver eligible. That's that then.

No sending him down.

It's unfortunate though because sitting would do nothing for him.

Yeah I agree. He would probably spot in and out with Auvitu.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If they bothered to show up against Buffalo and Philly, they would have had 6 wins in 7 and be 1 game above Bettman .500.
Yeah I know, woulda coulda shoulda but how frustrating is that.

Was just about to post the same. Coulda been 1 game over if we won those 2 very winable games. But complete no-shows in both. And at least 2 games over if that own goal didn't happen either, and potentially 3 over.

Sucks to think about. But, the no shows did happen, and lack of preparation and terrible starts to games have been a problem all season long. Good chance tomorrow to finally break that trend.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
What a wonderful display of passing and skill on the 6th goal between McDavid and Puljujarvi. I missed the game, but I heard they created some other great chances, too. Simply have to keep those two together now for the long-term.

Just wish Todd tried it a LONG time again when I was lobbying very hard for it (basically from the start of the season I had JP as our top RW, and matching their speed seemed obvious to me). You could say 'better late than never', but for this season it might be the case. I hope not, but we'll see.

Nice to see the Kefbomb back, even if it did take a lucky bounce. That happens with a lot of point shots, so it's just as valid as any other.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Was just about to post the same. Coulda been 1 game over if we won those 2 very winable games. But complete no-shows in both. And at least 2 games over if that own goal didn't happen either, and potentially 3 over.

Sucks to think about. But, the no shows did happen, and lack of preparation and terrible starts to games have been a problem all season long. Good chance tomorrow to finally break that trend.

They seem to play with effort against the good teams so I expect them to at least compete tomorrow. It's the Buffalo, Philly, Arizona games where they thought they could show up and win, kind of an arrogant attitude.

It's nice to win games like these but it just illustrates how badly they wasted these first 25+ games because they are capable of performances like this. The worst part is that they haven't even entered the toughest part of their schedule yet.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Feature with McDavid and Matthews dads on TSN. They just force them into the same sentence whenever they can.

Reactions: Del Preston

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Feature with McDavid and Matthews dads on TSN. They just force them into the same sentence whenever they can.
I wonder if they'll be forcing them into the same sentence when matthews is asking for mcdavid like money, at that point I bet they wont think they are comparable.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Mr. McDavid: "My son led his team to their best regular season in 30 years, won the scoring title, and was named league MVP."

Mr. Matthews: "My son had a lot of loose puck retrievals."

I wonder if they'll be forcing them into the same sentence when matthews is asking for mcdavid like money, at that point I bet they wont think they are comparable.
TSN will say Matthews is not worth as much, and then when he signs for less than $12.5M they'll talk about what a bargain it is because there's little difference between the two players.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
They seem to play with effort against the good teams so I expect them to at least compete tomorrow. It's the Buffalo, Philly, Arizona games where they thought they could show up and win, kind of an arrogant attitude.

It's nice to win games like these but it just illustrates how badly they wasted these first 25+ games because they are capable of performances like this. The worst part is that they haven't even entered the toughest part of their schedule yet.

At the very least, I think that tougher part of the schedule will have a lot more games that forces some emotion out of our team. They have such a hard time pushing themselves for games against the east. They need the opposition to pull them into the fight a lot of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad