Post-Game Talk: Oilers 6, Canadiens 2

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
I never thought the oilers would claim Davidson off waivers but I am glad they did. He is a good guy and its nice to see him in oilers silks.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The Oilers played like rage on ice in the first 40 minutes and I hope that level of indignation and urgency continues.

Reactions: Night Witch

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
And smart hockey for the last 10 min ., even resting Connor, believe he just took one short shift from what I saw

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
We'll see which team shows up today (hopefully not Mr. Hyde) but I sure hope that Maroon is taken aside and told to grow up a little bit. He is now getting into it with the refs every single game and that whining about an icing call in a 6-1 game was completely uncalled for. He has to realize that if the Oilers are going to make the playoffs then there is little room left for error for the remainder of the season. I wonder if this is why the Ducks traded him away?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
TSN will say Matthews is not worth as much, and then when he signs for less than $12.5M they'll talk about what a bargain it is because there's little difference between the two players.

pfft...they must be blind. Dem intakes

chevrolet-impala-ss-427-with-hood-scoops.jpg

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Predicting no change to the PP unit. Best shot being saved until next year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
LB got a lot of heat (rightfully so) the previous few games but he deserves some love after this game.

Just one example of his work in this game...he made a stop at about the 14:00 mark that IMO help set up the team to take over the game. He kicked his leg out on a deflected puck and then calmly corralled the rebound despite the fact that there were 2 Habs players in his kitchen.
Very nice work.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I just watched the highlights quite carefully. I don't mean to sound bitter because Pulju hasn't got PP time, but it's hard to give credit to Woodcroft for those two PP goals. In the first goal the puck slipped away from Drai by accident and it opened a good chance for Lucic. The second one was pure luck with all the bounces. I will give credit when it's deserved, but yesterday's PP goals weren't really that.

PK looked quite bad in those two goals against. It seemed like they had energy but it was more like just rushing around and chasing their men until there was one free in front of the goal.

Pulju -> McDavid -> Auvitu -> net was art.

Reactions: ujju2

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I just watched the highlights quite carefully. I don't mean to sound bitter because Pulju hasn't got PP time, but it's hard to give credit to Woodcroft for those two PP goals. In the first goal the puck slipped away from Drai by accident and it opened a good chance for Lucic. The second one was pure luck with all the bounces. I will give credit when it's deserved, but yesterday's PP goals weren't really that.

PK looked quite bad in those two goals against. It seemed like they had energy but it was more like just rushing around and chasing their men until there was one free in front of the goal.

Pulju -> McDavid -> Auvitu -> net was art.
I too didn't watch the game but based on the highlights and what I've read Bulju was great last night. It's huge for the team if he can be a legit 1st line winger. Huge for the depth of the line up for McDavid to have a winger that compliments his game that isn't Draisaitl.

Crazy how easily most of us forgot that Pulju was one of the better European prospects of recent times and has very high potential...

Reactions: GameChanger

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I too didn't watch the game but based on the highlights and what I've read Bulju was great last night. It's huge for the team if he can be a legit 1st line winger. Huge for the depth of the line up for McDavid to have a winger that compliments his game that isn't Draisaitl.

Crazy how easily most of us forgot that Pulju was one of the better European prospects of recent times and has very high potential...

Yes. The fact is that if they keep Drai as McDavid's winger it's almost impossible to get perfect value for his salary. For that salary he needs to learn to drive his own line and actually be one of the best in the NHL in that. If that happens it's a huge asset to the Oilers, especially with Nuge's current form. Even if he can't quite do that yet it should still make the Oilers a better team.

I'd still like to see Pulju as a kind of a #1 draft prospect. I mean before the draft a lot of people were writing that he would be drafted at #1 in most years during the last ten years. Time will tell what he'll eventually become, but considering his background and the way he's developed there's a great chance #97 and #98 will be the Gretzky-Kurri of this following decade. I mean it'll be very very difficult to stop them in a couple of years. The good thing is in any case it seems the Oilers will get good value for the #4 place they had.

Reactions: ujju2

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
The Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi line were absolutely dominant tonight. Lucic's best game as an Oiler, and that line was unlucky not to have scored 5 goals themselves tonight. Too bad that Jesse crossbar didn't go in, that was a hell of a shot.

I was always a fan of Khaira's potential, but I could have never predicted that he would be playing this well at the NHL level. I always thought his upside was a very good 4th liner, but he's starting to look like a very good 3rd liner that you could move up in the lineup if you needed to.

Davidson looked good as well. Steady defensively, and made some solid offensive plays. He's a huge upgrade on Gryba.

A rock is an upgrade on Gryba. He has fallen off a cliff.

Reactions: Dieseloil

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
But that's Letestu's spot!

You don't take elite skill like Letestu off a PP just like that. :sarcasm:
Ovechkin, Laine, heck Kurri and Bossy make and made a nice living over there on PP, just hanging out, waiting for that one pass. Rotate Letestu and Pool out there with man advantage, let chips fall where they may.

Reactions: GameChanger

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Ovechkin, Laine, heck Kurri and Bossy make and made a nice living over there on PP, just hanging out, waiting for that one pass. Rotate Letestu and Pool out there with man advantage, let chips fall where they may.

Years ago the game was different so it was easier to park on that spot and wait for the puck to arrive. Nowadays you need to rotate the puck and preferably the players too. I think that's were Jesse if good at. He can be the QB and when needed slide to his favourite spot and a player with a great vision and passing skills (earlier Aho, now e.g. McDavid) can find him. In the Jets they have two great shooters (Laine and Scheiffele) which makes their PP ever more dangerous. The same could work in the Oilers too.

Reactions: Dieseloil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad