Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Wild 1 - "Extremely a lot better"

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Certain people just have easily readable body language.
For the amount of energy and time that he's invested into becoming one of the premier players of the world and the fact that he gives a f*** when it matters most, I think that I can give him a pass for taking the odd five seconds off

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bull****. The Oilers have looked like they didn't give a crap many times during this season. Many, many times.

Look like they don't give a crap and just not being good enough looks pretty similar. I see effort myself. I just don't see execution or the ability to make plays.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Alright guys, I've been doing some math on my calculator here and here's how I see it: we go 16-0 to finish the season (14 more wins in a row for us). We finish with 92 points. Calgary, LA, and the Ducks all become really really terrible teams. We finish 3rd in the conference, make the playoffs. We win the cup.

WHO'S WITH ME!?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Alright guys, I've been doing some math on my calculator here and here's how I see it: we go 16-0 to finish the season (14 more wins in a row for us). We finish with 92 points. Calgary, LA, and the Ducks all become really really terrible teams. We finish 3rd in the conference, make the playoffs. We win the cup.

WHO'S WITH ME!?

jerry-maguire-loyalty(1).gif

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Benning looked solid last year.. by solid I mean playing at a top 4 NHL Dman level.. He was on par with Nurse last year but has failed to build on that this year.
Strongly disagree.
Benning never looked like a top 4 dman last season (or any other time that I’ve seen) and he certainly was not on par with Nurse.

Reactions: nabob

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The degree of composure this kid is showing is worthy of praise.
I think composure is the thing that has surprised me most so far.
While veteran players like Sekera and Russell are panicking, Bear looks cool as a cucumber.
I’m not getting too high on the kid, but he’s really caught my eye with his smart plays and heavy shot.
Dare to dream that the Oilers won’t wreck him.

Reactions: Aerrol

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Strongly disagree.
Benning never looked like a top 4 dman last season (or any other time that I’ve seen) and he certainly was not on par with Nurse.
Yes he was.. go through the threads from last year and see how Benning was pretty shiny last year. Nurse not so much.

Reactions: oljimmy

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

WHO'S WITH ME!?
pEWerCI.gif

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes he was.. go through the threads from last year and see how Benning was pretty shiny last year. Nurse not so much.
I think Benning looked like a good #4 for large portions of last year, but also was playing limited minutes a lot of the time. There's no question he looked much much better last year. Imo he's looked slower this year, his decision making and reads have been much worse, and he's just been making way too many mistakes. He's young and growing pains are common with young Dman. He's still worth keeping around going forward imo even if he only ever ends up as a bottom pairing D. I'd like to think some of the good things from last year's Benning are still in there.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I agree that the board in general loved Benning. Many thought he made Davidson redundant. :shakehead
I was never a fan. If I was coach I'd play him only when injuries forced me to.
And although he might have had a game or two here and there where he looked decent, I never thought he was even close to a Nurse level player. Just look at the way Nurse skates and then look at Benning. I think Benning and Caggiula are probably the two worst players on the club. Thought so last year too.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I agree that the board in general loved Benning. Many thought he made Davidson redundant. :shakehead
And although he might have had a game or two here and there where he looked decent, I never thought he was even close to a Nurse level player. Just look at the way Nurse skates and then look at Benning. I think Benning and Caggiula are probably the two worst players on the club. Thought so last year too.
I’ve always liked nurse as a prospect but he was pretty brutal last year. Out of our regular 6 he was distinctly the 6th best player. This year he’s taken a step and good on him but let’s pretend he was even close to this player last season. He was not.

Reactions: TB12

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I thought Cagguila showed a lot of jam last year. I thought he could develop into a Marchant type. He’s completely fallen off the map this year though.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Everybody looked like a 2nd pairing defenseman last season when they played with Sekera.

Except Russell, who has never looked good.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Look like they don't give a crap and just not being good enough looks pretty similar. I see effort myself. I just don't see execution or the ability to make plays.

:huh: If by effort you mean standing around like pylons and puck watching then sure. EDM as a team have not competed nearly hard enough this year. Even McDavid himself have said it throughout the season. He didn't know why they had a good game and then a few bad ones. He knew, but just didn't want to admit it. It was effort.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Agree to disagree. I think most of that was posters who already hated Nurse seeing what they wanted to see.
I think Nurse stood out in a bad way often last season whereas Benning didn't, but I also think that's largely down to expectations.

On the flipside of that, this year Benning's had higher expectations on him and has been playing worse than last year so now he is the one standing out in a bad way.

Meanwhile Nurse has taken a big step forward in his development this year.

Reactions: ujju2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I thought Cagguila showed a lot of jam last year. I thought he could develop into a Marchant type. He’s completely fallen off the map this year though.

Same here. As one of the dying breed of Cagguila fans left, I expected him to play a bigger role this season after a strong close to last season but he has dropped the ball this season.
I still think there's a good player in him if used in the proper role so I'm going down with the ship. ;)

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Same here. As one of the dying breed of Cagguila fans left, I expected him to play a bigger role this season after a strong close to last season but he has dropped the ball this season.
I still think there's a good player in him if used in the proper role so I'm going down with the ship. ;)

The effort is defintely there with Cagguila. The guy is a spark plug.

The biggest problem is that he simply doesnt do much with the puck once he gets it. He just doesnt seem to have much for puck skills. I think hes fine as a 4LW. I think Cagguila - Khaira - Kassian could be a good line. Coach just overuses him imo. I dont know if he will improve or not. I personally though Khaira had terrible hands last year. This year he has shown a lot of poise, controlling the puck and Clutterback/Folin admit his hands are much improved. So I think theres hope for Cagguila but like you said, he needs to be put in a proper role and let him grow from there.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Benning was awesome last year. Was throwing devastating hits consistently the last half of the season, and especially the playoffs.

I have so much time for a Benning bounce back next season. Letting him go after this season would be a big mistake.

Reactions: MisterD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad