Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Wild 1 - "Extremely a lot better"

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
If the staff realized Larsson could run a powerplay, there's an extra 1:30 a game there to help beat Connor's minutes.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why not offensively? Basing off junior numbers at 19, its really close one a just over a PPG and one just under a PPG.

At 20 Bear got 16 P in 34 GP in AHL
At 20 Nurse had 10P in 69 in NHL

The areas that Bear is night and day better than Nurse was at the same age (and it could be debated that he maybe better at vs. the current version of Nurse) are quick passes and in getting his shot off when the zone has been gained and the team has set up.

IMO it's not even close in terms of the breakout part of the game vs. Nurse in any year save this one.

Nurse's saving graces in junior were his elite combination of size and skating. He has made massive strides in all aspects of his game this season, prior to this season he didn't have near the puck poise that he currently has and he didn't look as good as he does now in the offensive zone either.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You might want to go and rewatch the playoffs again. Benning looked lost and way over his head in almost every game. Much like he has for most of this season.

IIRC Benning went down with an injury late last season and he took a step back upon his return and really hasn't gotten back to form for whatever reason(s).

Nevermind then, Im not going to argue all day.

Bear grew up right beside my hometown, so Im cheering for him, but he still isnt a guarantee in the NHL, and his offense is for sure not a guarantee.

Hes going to have to start taking off seasons a little more serious, was pretty disappointed in the shape he came to camp in for his first pro season.

He will need to put in the work as no one can do it for him. I too was disappointed to hear that he wasn't in shape IIRC it was the camp leading to his final season in junior. If he is willing to put in the work to get quicker he should be at minimum a 3rd pairing guy that you can put out in offensive and PP situations which would still be a steal for his draft position.

Reactions: nabob

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
IIRC Benning went down with an injury late last season and he took a step back upon his return and really hasn't gotten back to form for whatever reason(s).
Its injury excuses for everybody this year it seems. I mean Klefbom has been healthy for what maybe 1/3 of his 250 NHL games. At what point do we start to say he's the defense version of Pitlick.
Larsson suffered a family tragedy and I'm totally OK with him missing time on that front obviously, but his big fans on this site are playing the injury excuse a lot this season as well.
Now Benning gets the injury excuse as well.

Some of us were saying that the Oilers had a charmed season last year. No significant injuries that kept players out for long stretches. Now it seems that some players are not doing well they are getting the benefit of the doubt because fans are claiming they are 'playing through nagging injuries'. I don't buy it to be honest. Players have ups and downs during the course of their careers. Its natural. Not every dip in play is attributable to an injury. Maybe Larsson, Klefbom and Benning just aren't as 'great' as they looked last season. I notice nobody was giving RNH and Eberle the benefit of the doubt on the 'nagging injury' front last season. Interesting how that works.

Reactions: Aerrol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Its injury excuses for everybody this year it seems. I mean Klefbom has been healthy for what maybe 1/3 of his 250 NHL games. At what point do we start to say he's the defense version of Pitlick.
Larsson suffered a family tragedy and I'm totally OK with him missing time on that front obviously, but his big fans on this site are playing the injury excuse a lot this season as well.

Some of us were saying that the Oilers had a charmed season last year. No significant injuries that kept players out for long stretches. Now it seems that some players are not doing well they are getting the benefit of the doubt because fans are claiming they are 'playing through nagging injuries'. I don't buy it to be honest. Players have ups and downs during the course of their careers. Its natural. Not every dip in play is attributable to an injury. Maybe Larsson, Klefbom and Benning just aren't as 'great' as they looked last season. I notice nobody was giving RNH and Eberle the benefit of the doubt on the 'nagging injury' front last season. Interesting how that works.

There is clearly something wrong with Klefbom. He has missed some games this year, and now, has had a minor procedure to determine if there is something else going on. Watching him, he is not skating, passing or shooting the same as last year, and it's affecting his decisionmaking. Same with Sekera, although he still has a way to go to get back to last years performance, and that's if he ever does.
Yes, everyone knows players suffer from various bumps, bruises and otherwise, but in some cases, like these, it appears to be more than that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Well Sekera returned from injury, Klefbom never returned to 100% after his injury last season, Larsson has battled back injuries, Leon had a concussion that derailed his game for a bit, Talbot sat for some games due to injury and Nuge missed 18 games. Not sure which of these you'd proclaim to be untrue? Benning by my eye looked worse after he returned from injury last season, I am not saying that his injury is lingering, it could all be confidence related for all I know, that said by my eye at least he took a step back in the latter part of last season and he hasn't gained that step back to date.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Probably because Eberle was healthy last season...RNH had a a bad back from dragging two boat anchors around most of season and all of the playoffs. ;) Gagner was another player who constantly got the injury excuse as well...

Larsson went on the IR because of his back, wouldn't be surprised if he got a shot as well. For him to not play because of pain means it must have been hella bad.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

This on repeat. They are good but they aren't enough for this team to be successful is how I view them.

WRT Eberle, he wasn't really ever injured; its his style that led fans to turn on him, myself included. He has talent but how he kept shying away from contact, hesitant to shoot the puck, that led fans to hate him.

RNH - he's been injured but he's isn't really the 1st overall stud many had hoped him to be even if he wasn't.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't see how Larsson got grouped in here, he's been solid since he returned.
Yeah he had a bunch of time with no hockey between being on the IR and being away with the tragic family matter. He has looked much better since coming back. Which is great to see that's he's healthy, and hopefully playing games and being busy is helping his mind stay healthy as well.

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad