Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Stars 0 - Miller Time!?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He's a lot like Evander Kane, in that you're gambling a bit that he'll actually grow up. He needs a guy like Chara who can step up, and put him in his place (like Chara tried to do with Seguin).

And here's the crosscheck

Nasty, stupid play...no excuse for that.
That said that was a few years ago when Benn was what 22-23 years old? Still take this player on the Oilers though.

This team doesnt have nearly enough push back especially when the goalies get run. I agree that Benn needs a strong vet presence but then agaon so does this team.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Do you remember Esa Tikkanen and how many people back then said he needed to mature? Heck I even remember Doug Weight and Bill Guerin making comments that would make Benn blush.

Tikk was a pain to play against but I dont recall him doing something so blatantly stupid.

Then again when a player like that is on your team then you tend to look a things a little differently.

hmminvisiblecola1279

there are kids in it
Jul 9, 2002
no thanks
Visit site
Tikk was a pain to play against but I dont recall him doing something so blatantly stupid.

Then again when a player like that is on your team then you tend to look a things a little differently.

Precisely and the Oilers had guys such as Shayne Corson and other **** distubers who played for them. Tikkanen ran players and agitated so much I recall players on other teams badly wanted him to hurt. Look back on some of those games Guymez and whether or not my belief in fighting is a "positive" nothing has changed. The crap that happened to Brashear" a *******" or to Steve Moore are more troubling than a clean hit that leads to a fight or general scrum.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
You do know this isn't an offensive team? Eakins said this multiple times. It must be true. At least until you get competent coaching.

A lot of people in the media and the management has said it's not an "offensive team". I always found that comical, how can you have Eberle, Hall, Nuge, Yak, Perron/Pouliot, Schultz etc etc and not be a scoring team? Maybe nobody is a consistent 30 goal scorer but the hilariousness in expecting this team with non existent defensive ability to go out and play like a Boston team was always a bit of a oddity to me.

"We want to be like Boston.." A team that had (when we had Petry) 2/3 dmen single handedly better than any dmen we had.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Nasty, stupid play...no excuse for that.
That said that was a few years ago when Benn was what 22-23 years old? Still take this player on the Oilers though.

This team doesnt have nearly enough push back especially when the goalies get run. I agree that Benn needs a strong vet presence but then agaon so does this team.

See I'd actually argue it's more concerning that it happened a couple years ago. It shows Benn hasn't grown up. I'd happily take him as well, but he does come with baggage

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's a lot like Evander Kane, in that you're gambling a bit that he'll actually grow up. He needs a guy like Chara who can step up, and put him in his place (like Chara tried to do with Seguin).

And here's the crosscheck

The difference between him and Kane is that Benn is consistently one of the best left wingers in the game. Dude plays on the edge and therefore is going to cross it. He's more like Corey perry than he is evander Kane. Sometimes he's gonna look like an idiot, but he's never gonna not be one of the best players on the ice. Whereas a guy like Kane will disappear for lengthy stretches and seems to have had off Ice dressing room issues which has never been even remotely hinted at with Benn

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The difference between him and Kane is that Benn is consistently one of the best left wingers in the game. Dude plays on the edge and therefore is going to cross it. He's more like Corey perry than he is evander Kane. Sometimes he's gonna look like an idiot, but he's never gonna not be one of the best players on the ice. Whereas a guy like Kane will disappear for lengthy stretches and seems to have had off Ice dressing room issues which has never been even remotely hinted at with Benn

Of course Benn is a much better player. I never compared their ability. Only the fact that both need to grow up

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Watched the game late last night on the PVR. That was fun to watch. I sure miss entertaining hockey. Even when it was only 1-0, there were so many great scoring chances. Can't believe the way Benn bounced off of Hall. It was like he hit a brick Hall. lol. They are really starting to look like a team out there. Nicely balanced lines and everyone is contributing. Great to see Yak no longer looking like a liability out there. Love it when he's throwing the body around and creating chances. These guys learning how to win is way more important then dropping down 1 draft position. Pretty sure that we will pass the leafs. Hopefully we can pull off a lottery win and it won't matter. Either way, we will get a good player in the draft.:yo:

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
A lot of people in the media and the management has said it's not an "offensive team". I always found that comical, how can you have Eberle, Hall, Nuge, Yak, Perron/Pouliot, Schultz etc etc and not be a scoring team? Maybe nobody is a consistent 30 goal scorer but the hilariousness in expecting this team with non existent defensive ability to go out and play like a Boston team was always a bit of a oddity to me.

"We want to be like Boston.." A team that had (when we had Petry) 2/3 dmen single handedly better than any dmen we had.

26th in the NHL in goals per game. They are not an offensive team.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
ITT: I learned not to criticize players the way we've always criticized them or else super hero posters are going to come after you.

Benn acted like a baby after that hit. What a hit though, holy cow.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
ITT: I learned not to criticize players the way we've always criticized them or else super hero posters are going to come after you.

Benn acted like a baby after that hit. What a hit though, holy cow.

I don't think Benn gets hit many times where he just stops dead. Hall rocks guys when he wants to.

26th in the NHL in goals per game. They are not an offensive team.

They need to get out of their own end if they want to use their offense available to them. Plus Eakins tried to turn them into the defensive juggernaut you see today.

Let's see where the offense is at next year with a coach who knows how to coach offense.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I thought I was in the Oilers PGT, but I guess I stumbled into the Jamie Benn Appreciation Thread.

Jamie Benn is a saint. All ******* behavior on the ice is cancelled out because he can spare some of his millions.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just wake up?

Oilers have been one of the highest scoring teams in the NHL since the all-star break..with a decent coach,

Sample size matters and that sample size is fools gold.

This hasnt been a better than average offensive team for almost 10 years...2 months of virtually meaningless hockey doesn't change much of anything.

Lets see how they do for an entire season before making claims about their offensive prowess.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

This hasnt been a better than average offensive team for almost 10 years...2 months of virtually meaningless hockey doesn't change much of anything.

Lets see how they do for an entire season before making claims about their offensive prowess.

There are plenty of ****** offensive teams.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I agree sample size is important and I'm doubtful our powerplay will stay as hot as it has been of late, but Nelson both here and the AHL has demonstrated a lot more ability to run an effective powerplay then Eakins has ever shown and if only for that reason I see our goals per game numbers being higher under him. With the personnel we have there really isn't much excuse for having a powerplay that was so woefully ineffective and the fact that Krueger was also able to run an effective powerplay as Eakins predecessor makes me think that particular issue is completely on Eakins.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
105 in 38 versus 76 in 36

2.76 vs 2.1

Still with minimal production from our blueline. If/when we start getting more than 1 or 2 guys on the blueline that contributes offensively our goals/game will soar.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Still with minimal production from our blueline. If/when we start getting more than 1 or 2 guys on the blueline that contributes offensively our goals/game will soar.

We don't even need it from our blueline though. We just need some dmen to keep the puck the **** away from our net and play mean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad