Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Slump Busters 3

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I didn’t really buy into the conspiracy theory that McLellan has been told to limit JP’s ice time to keep the caphit of Puljujarvi’s next contract down... but, man, I don’t know how else you see a kid snipe a PP goal like that one and not set him up to do that literally any chance you get.

I wouldn't be suprised if Jesse had a nice number of goals if he'd been used properly on the PP since the beginning. That would also mean some crucial extra points to the team. I've never seen such a reluctance to use a player at a position every fan knows he belongs to.

Despite the low minutes and wrong positions Jesse's PP goals/60 is now 3.307, the best of the team and ahead of Tkatchuk and over three times better than Mathhew's. I look forward to seeing him on his own spot when TM's gone.

Reactions: PulYou

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Just finished it. Interesting game for sure. Flyweight tilt, Loochness Monster ending career long losing streak as with Klefbom, another 2 goal lead Al-Qaeda'd, Drai and McDavid being 1st class citizens on and off the ice.

Idk its whatever, I like OT so glad it went there and Mcdavid/Dr.Recchi...erm Dr.Dre points are always nice to see.

Reactions: Del Preston

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Someone would have to check but I believe Kass got the only penalty on that even though oel should have gone for the Hendricks hit

That game last season was just flat out garbage by the officials. It was literally one of the most one sided games I've seen with their calls.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Hate to be a downer but I don't see a penalty shot goal on there
r0RNUX0.jpg

Lol...yeah, I forgot about that one.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I was 3-0-1 at games this year. I did my part.

Not bad. I was 4-1.

Went to the game with my son tonight. A much more entertaining game to be at compared to the snoozer against the Rangers. I liked that snipe shot from Jesse. He has the skill and ability to score those goals. Now that the games are pretty much meaningless in the standings.. its time this coaching staff puts him in better positions to succeed. Give him better linemates and more important PP time. Let him play on the halfboard where Letestu used to play. This is like a free month of training camp for the coaches. Free Pulju!

Last edited:

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Ethan Bear again looked awesome tonight. He was deadly on the last PP we had towards the end of the game. The way he moves the puck and fakes out the defenders is insane for how little pro experience he has. His poise is already looking like its gonna be a huge factor once he's actually 100% comfortable being up here. He actually fakes out the defenders, unlike Sekera and Russell who just half wind up for the hell of it.

Here's to hoping he stays up when Larsson returns, and not just in the press box.

I also don't blame him for the 3rd goal against when everyone thought it was going to be icing and then RNH just kinda blindly back passed it expecting someone to be there, it was a gaffe, it happens. I want Bear to succeed so f***ing badly, and he's making a damn good case for himself.

EDIT: Oh, and again, he has an absolute bomb. On the slow mo replay, had that shot not have gotten knocked down, his clapper was going top right corner easily. Accurate AF.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Ethan Bear again looked awesome tonight. He was deadly on the last PP we had towards the end of the game. The way he moves the puck and fakes out the defenders is insane for how little pro experience he has. His poise is already looking like its gonna be a huge factor once he's actually 100% comfortable being up here. He actually fakes out the defenders, unlike Sekera and Russell who just half wind up for the hell of it.

Here's to hoping he stays up when Larsson returns, and not just in the press box.

I also don't blame him for the 3rd goal against when everyone thought it was going to be icing and then RNH just kinda blindly back passed it expecting someone to be there, it was a gaffe, it happens. I want Bear to succeed so ****ing badly, and he's making a damn good case for himself.

EDIT: Oh, and again, he has an absolute bomb. On the slow mo replay, had that shot not have gotten knocked down, his clapper was going top right corner easily. Accurate AF.

Bear has the offensive tools. Its just the other aspects of his game that needs more tuning. He's definitely a keeper though. A bit more seasoning in the AHL after this season will do him wonders.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Bear has the offensive tools. Its just the other aspects of his game that needs more tuning. He's definitely a keeper though. A bit more seasoning in the AHL after this season will do him wonders.

Yes, not as much as had all expected after seeing his debut though. He's surprisingly strong on the boards, and was outmuscling players pretty nicely at times tonight. A good offseason of training and a strong training camp could potentially gift him a look at the start of next season IMO. Don't wanna rush the kid, but he's making a case to be a potential 3rd pair PPQB next season.. but who knows. Im just being Mr. Optimistic here, Todd will find a way to ruin him I'm sure. :sarcasm:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

IMO you build a good defense by filling some spots with players like Davidson and Bear, and avoid paying too much to the players that have to work hard to play well enough for their salary, but probably won't do better than that (Klefbom, Sekera, Russell).

Then you can have budget for a real star or even two, and hopefully manage to get a good #3 like Larsson by a series of smart moves instead of trading a player like, hmm, you know.

Reactions: McDaddy

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Just got back from the game. The 2nd unit PP looks better than the 1st. That is all

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Watched this one.

I liked Bear a lot, and -- though it's early days in his career -- I would like to see him get his shot in the top-6 next season instead of Benning or Gryba or whoever the alternative is. Those guys suck, and Bear has offensive ability and a great shot. (He should have had his first point tonight, but Draisaitl fired his set-up off the post).

I like Khaira a lot. Hopefully, he and Bear are models of good Oilers-system' players that the franchise will patiently develop. Khaira has paid his dues in the minors and now he's a very solid third-line type player, and his penalty killing is really good, which alone should make him a line-up lock.

By the way, I really like Strome and I think he's had a great season (after the first few weeks when he was a bit lost). Most people on here seemed to throw him under the bus in his first few weeks and have never given him a fair chance since. He is really good. He shows up every night, hustles every shift, and fairly often puts up points. (He did make a brutal giveaway in the third tonight which nearly resulted in the tying goal, but we'll overlook that.) He's incredibly versatile, able to play center or wing, power-play or penalty kill. Not bad on face-offs, too. He can skate, and his Hockey IQ is high. The guy is good, and I don't get why fans are so hard on him. Put it this way: he's put up 70% of Eberle's points while on a bad team and taking up 40% of Eberle's salary. He's also three years younger than Eberle. I like that trade, personally.

Talbot actually didn't look bad tonight, despite the by-now expected early goal and third period Oiler breakdown.

Anyway, the season's a total write-off (hope for a late-season surge from McD for the scoring title), but at least the emergence of Nurse and Khaira, as well as the potential of Bear and Yamamoto, gives me hope for next year. (A little worried about the goaltending situation, however.)

Gotta agree with ya. I was ready to fly to Edmonton at first of year and drive Strome to airport my self. He is playing some good hockey now so I’ll eat a slice of Humble Pie.

Khaira is a great hockey player. He does it all.

Happy with Bear. Some time with Larsson will help his game. It did wonders for Nurse, and Klefbom last year.

On another note , when they find out who was chirping McDavid and family, they should be taken out in public and their tongues cut out. Only way they will learn. Stop running players out people . We r worse then Montreal

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I didn’t really buy into the conspiracy theory that McLellan has been told to limit JP’s ice time to keep the caphit of Puljujarvi’s next contract down... but, man, I don’t know how else you see a kid snipe a PP goal like that one and not set him up to do that literally any chance you get.

It doesn't make sense. I thought the coaches would see the potential when he scored that beautiful one-timer from Strome (I beleive) a few months back....but nope.

I could understand it if our PP was top 5 in the league and both units were humming along....

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Gotta agree with ya. I was ready to fly to Edmonton at first of year and drive Strome to airport my self. He is playing some good hockey now so I’ll eat a slice of Humble Pie.

Khaira is a great hockey player. He does it all.

Happy with Bear. Some time with Larsson will help his game. It did wonders for Nurse, and Klefbom last year.

On another note , when they find out who was chirping McDavid and family, they should be taken out in public and their tongues cut out. Only way they will learn. Stop running players out people . We r worse then Montreal
I'm pretty sure those kids don't give a shit about hockey.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Bear had another solid game after a shaky debut.

I was at the game, and was watching him closely. Sheltered a fair bit, and looked lost a few times in his own end, but had other good moments, mostly in the O-zone. I don't think I'd use "solid" as a way to describe his play. Getting better in small increments might be more apt.

I'm cheering hard for the kid, one of his biggest cheerleaders, but don't want to get carried away. Baby steps.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00