Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Sharks 3 - Hitch a ride to McDavid

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
So have all of the media who were totally indignant of any criticism of mac full on the hitch bandwagon, mac was holding this team back bandwagon?

I don't know about the whole media but Stauffer had the knives out for Todd pretty much instantly.

Not unusual but still pretty gross.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Their game day thread is an interesting perspective and a look into the window of more modern hockey fans(for better or worse).

To them, Oilers players finishing their checks is us trying to injure their stars with "late unnecessary hits".

Of course they seem to miss the forest for the trees in that they spent the whole thread complaining about how Vlasic and Braun were pretty bad under pressure.

To be fair, that’s what can happen when players are overplayed, which is what Hitch forced DeBoer to do with Vlasic and Braun. Sharks fans weren’t wrong there.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
There’s actually a pretty interesting discussion going on in the Sharks board GDT about DeBoer, McLellan, Wilson and the McDavid tank year.

I'm not sure why Shark fans have such a problem with DeBoer. Sharks play a pretty good system imo. They move the puck well and support the puck well. They are a good team. They just couldnt contain McDavid and Draisaitl tonight, which very few teams can and Koskinen outplayed Jones.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Their game day thread is an interesting perspective and a look into the window of more modern hockey fans(for better or worse).

To them, Oilers players finishing their checks is us trying to injure their stars with "late unnecessary hits".

Of course they seem to miss the forest for the trees in that they spent the whole thread complaining about how Vlasic and Braun were pretty bad under pressure.

Sharks fans generally are clueless. Kings have a lot more longterm fans that have followed hockey a longtime.

I wonder about the aspect though of younger fans expecting there to be less hitting, aggression. I wonder how much that impacts the game, excuse pun

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don't know about the whole media but Stauffer had the knives out for Todd pretty much instantly.

Not unusual but still pretty gross.

Most of the media from what I have seen have backed McLellan. At least the reporters who interview the team.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
The 4th line has been great ever since the Kassian trade rumors, it's not like last night was the first time they dominated O-zone time. They've been one of the Oilers most consistent lines since the Nashville game.

I actually like Khaira more on that line but it's the only line that suits Lucic's strengths so even though I think the 4th line is better with Khaira, I also feel like the 3rd line is better with Khaira.
Khaira and line-mates were actually the 4th line last night. He had the 'extra minutes due to the PK.
The Lucic line was 3rd and I suspect it'll stay that way..as long as the results are there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not sure why Shark fans have such a problem with DeBoer. Sharks play a pretty good system imo. They move the puck well and support the puck well. They are a good team. They just couldnt contain McDavid and Draisaitl tonight, which very few teams can and Koskinen outplayed Jones.

Not too knowledgeable fans and mostly a what have you done for us lately crowd. DeBoer is a solid, and sharp coach and sure better than McLellan. Not sure why Sharks fans would be complaining so vociferously about everything.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I think their issues stem from long-standing problems they have with PDB, not just tonight. They don’t like him just like we didn’t like Koala. Interestingly, there are still some McLellan defenders over there, although most say PDB is an upgrade.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So have all of the media who were totally indignant of any criticism of mac full on the hitch bandwagon, mac was holding this team back bandwagon?
This will be fun to keep an eye on. A lot of them lost credibility for their refusal to acknowledge Mclellan’s shortcomings.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Apparently he was taking courses on player psychology after he was let go from Dallas or something

Probably more applicable to his field than finishing a MBA.

(Not that there is anything wrong with having a MBA)

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Hard to have a measured approach when the lowest low you've ever experienced is missing the playoffs once. Its like a billionaire crying poor because they couldn't afford another Yaught this year.

Although i suppose we're at the opposite side of that coin.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If they could find a way to replace Kevin Quinn with Randy Hahn now, I’d be a happy man.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Khaira and line-mates were actually the 4th line last night. He had the 'extra minutes due to the PK.
The Lucic line was 3rd and I suspect it'll stay that way..as long as the results are there.

I meant more that I liked Khaira better on the Brodziak-Kassian line whether it's considered 4th or 3rd. He brings skill that Lucic just doesn't have.
Regardless, I'm fine with Lucic there. It's the best fit for him simply because he doesn't really fit anywhere else.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
There's a ton of value in having a line that can wear down the opposition like we saw Brodziak's do last night. Lil ground and pound then whammy McDavid kills your tired D.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
:laugh: not the first time we've seen that.

Question, if Spooner gets comfortable, do you role him out with McDavid and Draisaitl to really put the opposing team on their heels? Because he could just change after 30/45, and Klefbom or Nurse could come out and McDavid and Draisaitl could finish up with a defensemen

Like a Spooner-McD-Drai line? I dont think so. The whole point of Caggiula on the first is to do a lot of the grinding/muck work so Drai and McD can do their thing. As Caggiula said in an interview "I know McDavid can do those things but why should he? That's my job"

I dont really see Spooner as that kind of player

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

The one headscratch moment for me, was them putting Pavelski and Thorton out there in OT ... against McDavid and Draisaitl. Thats not likely going to work in your favor. They should probably just stick to Couture ... hes an Oilers killer ... and man I do not like him. haha

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Like a Spooner-McD-Drai line? I dont think so. The whole point of Caggiula on the first is to do a lot of the grinding/muck work so Drai and McD can do their thing. As Caggiula said in an interview "I know McDavid can do those things but why should he? That's my job"

I dont really see Spooner as that kind of player
No, in OT, to start, because of the speed and skill

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
We still need another top 6 player or two. Not enough skill to fill the 2nd line. We had the same problem when Drai was on the end instead of RNH.
JP may slot there eventually but I'd be keeping him in the AHL for awhile and trying to find a top 6 winger for a reasonable price. Chia may be content with what he has though after the 'big Strome trade...

Ideally, when he's back, Rieder would slot into the 2nd line but need another.

The rest are, essentially, 3/4th line players.....including Chiasson, Rattie and Spooner. Neither of these have been scorers in their NHL careers (caveat that Rattie played limited NHL games over his career so far). I guess we should be thankful that Alex and Ryan are at least NHL players.....

Cagguila - McDavid - Drai
Rieder - Nuge - ?
Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian
Spooner - Khaira - Chiasson
Rattie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad