Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 - Flyers 0

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Hall and McDavid need to stop playing with reckless abandon. I sure hope Hall isn't injured after flying into the boards like he did yesterday. Ya he played again after that, but that doesn't mean it's not going to hurt like hell this morning. And there were a couple of plays McDavid did against Buffalo where he could easily have been clipped. These type of plays need to be removed from their game. We need a healthy lineup, not more injuries.

Why is McDavid standing in front of the g'Bears point shot on the PK? Just silly. At one point on the PK Korpse or Letestu got control of the puck and McDavid took off. Whomever it was could have hit him with a pass and as much as we'd all like to see him go, the smart play (since we were up 3-0 at that point already) was to just dump it into the zone which Korpse/Letestu did. I was very pleased to see that.

Great team win last night, and a solid effort over the last few, but let's be honest here. rattling off 5 or so wins over the last 16 games and playing ourselves out of a top 3 pick is not ideal. This year has been total dog ****, and not getting a top 3 pick would be terrible after what we've had to deal with all year.

I think we can all agree that we'd love to see the hard work and heavy play continue, but ideally lose some tight games :naughty:

Oilers have 16 games left. You need 16 wins to win a cup. They should go on a run now, not lose moral victories. After Columbus the rest of their games are against Western teams. They should treat them all like playoff games and beat every team hard! Bully them. Rag doll them! Send a message! The 1st overall pick will be won by the team that finishes in the 16th spot this year. That's the goal. Enough of the losing! Enough!

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Hall and McDavid need to stop playing with reckless abandon. I sure hope Hall isn't injured after flying into the boards like he did yesterday. Ya he played again after that, but that doesn't mean it's not going to hurt like hell this morning. And there were a couple of plays McDavid did against Buffalo where he could easily have been clipped. These type of plays need to be removed from their game. We need a healthy lineup, not more injuries.

Why is McDavid standing in front of the g'Bears point shot on the PK? Just silly. At one point on the PK Korpse or Letestu got control of the puck and McDavid took off. Whomever it was could have hit him with a pass and as much as we'd all like to see him go, the smart play (since we were up 3-0 at that point already) was to just dump it into the zone which Korpse/Letestu did. I was very pleased to see that.

Oilers have 16 games left. You need 16 wins to win a cup. They should go on a run now, not lose moral victories. After Columbus the rest of their games are against Western teams. They should treat them all like playoff games and beat every team hard! Bully them. Rag doll them! Send a message! The 1st overall pick will be won by the team that finishes in the 16th spot this year. That's the goal. Enough of the losing! Enough!

I was so mad when Korpse didn't feed McDavid with that pass. He was flying! That would've been a great scoring opportunity.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
This is a perfect example of why advanced stats can be misleading without context.

Losing coverage and being cycled for an extended time generally leads to high grade scoring chances. The kind that even great goaltenders have no chance against.

I would also point out that Schenn - Couterier - Read is a young line that really isn't that good. LA's third line is way better than that one.

Playing a weak Eastern team you can get away with lines like Yak McDavid Ebs but I will be shocked if that line can tow the load against heavy better teams.

McDavid is shockingly good down low in the dzone, he plays very tight man on man and is able to support the puck coming out of the zone excellently. He's also quite strong on his skates. I have no idea what you're talking about. Even Yakupov did an excellent job on the backcheck and supporting th breakout last night. Every line in the NHL gets stuck in their own zone from time to time, the other team has good players too.

Also if you find that they can't hack it as a lineagainst a couple teams like LA then that's where good coaching comes in and some adjustments for a game can be made. With a Kassian and a Maroon now lurking around a guy can throw them up in the top 6 for a game and fix the issue.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Caught a little bit of Hockey Central @ Noon today. The only thing I heard about the game last night was how awesome Gotstheherpes was.

:rolleyes:

He made some nice plays and he can really shoot but he also made some Schultz like soft plays and giveaways.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

So you're saying you want them to start playing like they're scared to get hurt? that's not their game, and wont be their game.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
You can see the talent in GakiBerg but clearly he has a lot to work on defensively. He cost Philly 2-3 goals against.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
You can see the talent in GakiBerg but clearly he has a lot to work on defensively. He cost Philly 2-3 goals against.

He also made a few very good defensive plays, for example the 2 on 1 where hall had the puck, although if that was mcdavid there, he would of just stopped and let him slide by, instead of firing a pass into his midsection.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Outside of the first Kassian penalty, where Ghastlyburrito literally tucked Kass' stick under his armpit and went swimming (should have been 2 for holding the stick, and 2 for diving. Legitimately) all of the Oilers penalties were earned.

The problem came when the refs just decided to ignore the Flyers infractions. Highlighted remarkably well by Hall getting completely mugged in the third by Gudas 10 feet in front of the on looking ref, and in comes Kassian to intervene and the arm shoots up immediately to give the Oilers a penalty. That was some bush league **** right there.

I am surprised there is not more mention of that punk move in this thread. Falling down a bit easy when you feel a guy's stick on you is one thing, but deliberately trying to make fools of the refs by doing something like that is disrespectful in my opinion. I hope the refs saw that replay later and realized they had been punked so they will watch that little puke more closely in the future.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Outside of the first Kassian penalty, where Ghastlyburrito literally tucked Kass' stick under his armpit and went swimming (should have been 2 for holding the stick, and 2 for diving. Legitimately) all of the Oilers penalties were earned.

The problem came when the refs just decided to ignore the Flyers infractions. Highlighted remarkably well by Hall getting completely mugged in the third by Gudas 10 feet in front of the on looking ref, and in comes Kassian to intervene and the arm shoots up immediately to give the Oilers a penalty. That was some bush league **** right there.

Nope..Out of the first four penalties, only one was legitimate and that was Nurse's trip. The rest weren't penalties..in any league.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets fan coming with tidings of WAR! No wait, I meant "in peace"...

Glad to see Pardy's playing well for you guys. He got a bit of a raw deal in the Peg and deserved a chance to play. He's a good dude and a decent defenseman if he can mitigate his footspeed shortcomings.

I don't know whether to wish Oilers fans good luck here or what... :laugh: Hope the young talent continues to get better down the stretch for you guys. See you in Winnipeg on Sunday.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
He got a blade in, dangerously, that sent Hall crashing into the boards head first at full speed.

Theres nothing meh about that play and most of us would lose it in a hockey game if that happened to us.

Was also the same team that put McDavid out of commission. Flyers are sneaky dirty *******.

I wouldn't have minded seeing somebody take Goatsmeabeer out hard along the boards after that ****.

And the Flyers always seem to get away with a lot against the Oilers.

I still maintain the game from a few years back when Hartnell flagarantly kneed Paajarvi and the entire Philly team proceeded to goon it up with no consequences was the worst reffed game I've ever seen.

Its been that way with the Flyers for a long time. It was nice to see a little push back. Someone crushing Giroux would've been great but too much to ask, I suppose.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Asides from two brain dead moments, Ghostbearwhatever was actually their best player by far.
Of course he was. But folks who don't seem to know much about hockey think he's Schultz 2. :shakehead
What a joke. The Flyers were trailing all night and he was taking chances to try and get his team back in the game.
Ghost was one of the best players on the ice last night, and if you didn't recognize that its time to take up backgammon.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Of course he was. But folks who don't seem to know much about hockey think he's Schultz 2. :shakehead
What a joke. The Flyers were trailing all night and he was taking chances to try and get his team back in the game.
Ghost was one of the best players on the ice last night, and if you didn't recognize that its time to take up backgammon.

People couldn't possibly be joking...

Oct 15, 2008

images

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
How many posts are there putting down Ghost's game last night? And the night before slamming Eichel? That might be a joke to you, but I'm sure you would agree that it would seem pretty silly from the perspective of anyone perusing the board. And I'm not talking about he jokes about his name. Those are funny because lets face it his name is tough to spell and anyone would get a laugh from some of the ideas members have come up with. Trying to demean the guy's ability and saying he looked like Schultz out there is far less amusing. And contrary to fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad