Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Pens 2 in shootout

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Oilers spend the night in their zone and win a game.

If we can take hope from a loss we can take a lesson from a win.

This game was a loss in every way but the score. It goes both ways.

Worst team in the league.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

Absolutely disgusting own zone time.
vlcsnap2011021222h12asasm05s139.png

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Post like this drive me crazy with their low level of thought.

Care to elaborate? When Hall decides to pass instead of shoot (i.e. to Draisaitl), the play ends with a goal. If Hall tries to shoot it on net from the perimeter (which is most of the time) it ends in nothing. I think he should either be told to start using a slapper, drive the net harder, or pass the puck. His non-threat perimeter shooting is wasting offensive sorties. If he was playing with a guy who charges the net harder maybe it would result in something but frankly only the worst goalies lack the rebound control to prevent a second chance on most of Hall's shots.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Deserves to be said that the Klefbom play working the puck up ice and maintaining the breakaway against the best player in hockey trying to pick it away has to rank there in memories of this game. Probably the Oilers best play in the game. Drawing the penalty was huge there. if anything even though we don't score it allows us to survive OT and win in the shootout.

That was textbook earning a puck and keeping it. not sure if people commented on how absolutely impressive that play was.

Contrast that bit of determination with Nuge completely folding given the same puck possession and doing a button hook.

I dunno. These are contrasts with some meaning. Nuge has to get back to a game where he has the confidence to go for the jugular when its there. Especially in OT which is that kind of game of life and death. You get a chance to win in OT and you should take it.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Hall has spent a lot of time being topten in NHL production. He's plenty dangerous.

That hall so often puts himself in scoring positions should be considered a positive. you're strangely determining its a negative.

Eberle needs to be putting himself in more scoring positions. That was the message from the coach who put Eberle on 3rd line for half a game tonight.

Eberle needs to grow a pair. Ever since Johnson decked him 4 years ago [5?], he's been way too shy to get in front of the net.

Also, I think Crosby wants out. He's a consummate pro and will never say it but he wants out. His body language everything...tells me he wants change in a big way. I bet during the shootout, the only thing going in his mind was "fml, why should I bother":laugh:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Care to elaborate? When Hall decides to pass instead of shoot (i.e. to Draisaitl), the play ends with a goal. If Hall tries to shoot it on net from the perimeter (which is most of the time) it ends in nothing. I think he should either be told to start using a slapper, drive the net harder, or pass the puck. His non-threat perimeter shooting is wasting offensive sorties. If he was playing with a guy who charges the net harder maybe it would result in something but frankly only the worst goalies lack the rebound control to prevent a second chance on most of Hall's shots.

As the only real forward from the top 6 that drives to the net consistently, you're out to lunch with your assessment.

And in saying that perimeter shots ends in nothing, that applies to pretty much 99% of the league.:shakehead

Last edited:

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Right?

Maybe we need to explain that when Hall takes a ... what was it, "low percentage muffin" from the boards, he is frequently hoping for a broken play or a rebound or in many cases he will even beat the defender to the front of the net and try to crash the crease.

There was a perfect example in the game the other night. Hall takes a low percentage shot from the wall but spins off the man and manages to be first to the puck which has bounced toward the corner. He was on that puck in a second and in one motion laid it right on Davidson's tape barreling down the middle of the slot. It was a hard pass to make and he made it perfectly. Pity Davidson rang it off the crossbar.

Hall frequently has to do everything by himself. Those "weak muffins" are his way of advancing the puck (trying to make something happen) and using his speed to grab it up again ahead of the defenders. Doesn't work all the time, but its pretty surprising how often he can pull it off at this level when defenders have to be expecting it from him by now. Shows how explosive his speed is. They know he's going to blow by them, but they can't stop him.

I honestly cannot believe that my hfoil experience is now just writing nightly defenses of Hall, RNH and Eberle.
At least when I was defending Gagner and Souray, I could kind of see why some people might not be in love with those players, but Hall? Really?

I feel for you, this place can be downright sickening most nights and I worry for some posters mental health. To sit here, night after night, cherry picking data to pick apart players to no end is honestly sad. They might be right to, every time player x back checks he takes the wrong man or something... who cares? You really need to spend five pages of every pgt re hashing that point?

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter

So was that a moral victory loss, win?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Just remember we are on pace for less wins than both the Minnesota and Columbus inaugural seasons.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Deserves to be said that the Klefbom play working the puck up ice and maintaining the breakaway against the best player in hockey trying to pick it away has to rank there in memories of this game. Probably the Oilers best play in the game. Drawing the penalty was huge there. if anything even though we don't score it allows us to survive OT and win in the shootout.

That was textbook earning a puck and keeping it. not sure if people commented on how absolutely impressive that play was.

Contrast that bit of determination with Nuge completely folding given the same puck possession and doing a button hook.

I dunno. These are contrasts with some meaning. Nuge has to get back to a game where he has the confidence to go for the jugular when its there. Especially in OT which is that kind of game of life and death. You get a chance to win in OT and you should take it.

That is the thing I really hate with Nuge. He ALWAYS does the button hook and stops. It's like Hemsky all over again.

The rest of the league see that play so many times that they know its pretty much Nuge's only play.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Right?

Maybe we need to explain that when Hall takes a ... what was it, "low percentage muffin" from the boards, he is frequently hoping for a broken play or a rebound or in many cases he will even beat the defender to the front of the net and try to crash the crease.

There was a perfect example in the game the other night. Hall takes a low percentage shot from the wall but spins off the man and manages to be first to the puck which has bounced toward the corner. He was on that puck in a second and in one motion laid it right on Davidson's tape barreling down the middle of the slot. It was a hard pass to make and he made it perfectly. Pity Davidson rang it off the crossbar.

Hall frequently has to do everything by himself. Those "weak muffins" are his way of advancing the puck (trying to make something happen) and using his speed to grab it up again ahead of the defenders. Doesn't work all the time, but its pretty surprising how often he can pull it off at this level when defenders have to be expecting it from him by now. Shows how explosive his speed is. They know he's going to blow by them, but they can't stop him.

I honestly cannot believe that my hfoil experience is now just writing nightly defenses of Hall, RNH and Eberle.
At least when I was defending Gagner and Souray, I could kind of see why some people might not be in love with those players, but Hall? Really?

Of the "old" Core, Hall is the only one I'll ever give that much leeway. Nuge and Eberle have been disappointing and riding Hall's coattails more often than not. They need to step it up big time and NOT when the team is already eliminated [their usual post-TDD run and fans fall in love again]

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
That is the thing I really hate with Nuge. He ALWAYS does the button hook and stops. It's like Hemsky all over again.

The rest of the league see that play so many times that they know its pretty much Nuge's only play.

Yes but what's being conviently forgotten is nuge drawing a penalty by driving hard to the outside and completely blowing by scuderi. Yes nuge does pull up in that button hook play often, which is not a bad play by the way, but to say that he won't drive hard to the outside is just plain wrong.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Man, bingo. I was getting the same vibes for a longtime and to me its a player partly checking out, being more tentative, and getting reduced to only going for it on fewer and fewer occasions. Hope it isn't that but but its how talented players downgrade their own offensive impact and output. Its a type of playing it safe and settling for less. I'm starting to wonder about his pain threshold. One poster mentioned Nuge may have been leery of driving the net and crashing the post a second time in a game. My lord, you get paid 6M. You should be leaving it all on the ice on every shift and not shortchanging yourself and the team. A guy like Ryan Smyth, or Glenn Anderson NEVER worried about how much a play would hurt. Its the only way to play this game at a high level. Some of the players today are honestly pansies in comparison.

I love the players on this team that are giving their all on most plays and most shifts and don't mind playing with some abandon.

Not mentioned other than Hall and Drai having another outstanding game is Pouliot really had a lot of drive and was a handful for Pittsburgh.

Its sad what a shadow Perron has become. He's now looking like a player that would be traded for MPS.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

I remember a play earlier in the game, where he had total body position against another elite player while trying to skate the puck up the ice, gets stripped and it ends up in the back of the net. ;)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yes but what's being conviently forgotten is nuge drawing a penalty by driving hard to the outside and completely blowing by scuderi. Yes nuge does pull up in that button hook play often, which is not a bad play by the way, but to say that he won't drive hard to the outside is just plain wrong.

Its a brutally stupid play on a 3 man break on 3 on 3 play. Think about it. Nuge lazily looks back looking to hit the trailer. He's actually spotted there looking for the trailer. lmao. on 3 on 3. With all the players already up on the rush. So tell me Nuge, who is going to be the trailer on that play? ffs He just killed the play by not thinking.

What a brainfart moment. I'm kinda sad that I spot those moments a lot in what is supposed to be our brightest bulb, in what is supposed to be a really cognitive bright player.

The player I'm seeing on this roadtrip is anything but bright. He's not sharp at all right now.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I remember a play earlier in the game, where he had total body position against another elite player while trying to skate the puck up the ice, gets stripped and it ends up in the back of the net. ;)

haha, welldone. Just when I'm being positive. ;) Shouldn't have given him that much credit, you're right. But Malkin there just made an out of this world play all round and was really feeling it. It was like playing a guy in an entirely different gear than everybody else. Klef got stripped by a great on a great play and something most players wouldn't be able to do. Still, I'm impressed he did it against Crosby.

On another tangent kind of displays how much Malkin was on in the game and Crosby kind of off. That shootout attempt by Crosby was just lame. How do you go back in your dressingroom after that type of effort with the game on the line.

I dunno, theres problems in Pittsburgh and I don't see them going away. This looks beyond a player being cold. It looks like issues.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
haha, welldone. Just when I'm being positive. ;) Shouldn't have given him that much credit, you're right. But Malkin there just made an out of this world play all round and was really feeling it. It was like playing a guy in an entirely different gear than everybody else. Klef got stripped by a great on a great play and something most players wouldn't be able to do. Still, I'm impressed he did it against Crosby.

On another tangent kind of displays how much Malkin was on in the game and Crosby kind of off. That shootout attempt by Crosby was just lame. How do you go back in your dressingroom after that type of effort with the game on the line.

I dunno, theres problems in Pittsburgh and I don't see them going away. This looks beyond a player being cold. It looks like issues.

I always thought Malkin has the best skill set in the league, could very well be the best player in the game when he tries. He was on fire for a bit of the game then faded. Imagine him with Crosbys determination, wow!

Back to Klefbom, I was listening to post game on ched, people praised his game. I actually thought he had a very rough game tonight. Im sure Fayne didnt help that though.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Its a brutally stupid play on a 3 man break on 3 on 3 play. Think about it. Nuge lazily looks back looking to hit the trailer. He's actually spotted there looking for the trailer. lmao. on 3 on 3. With all the players already up on the rush. So tell me Nuge, who is going to be the trailer on that play? ffs

What a brainfart moment. I'm kinda sad that I spot those moments a lot in what is supposed to be our brightest bulb, in what is supposed to be a really cognitive bright player.

The player I'm seeing on this roadtrip is anything but bright. He's not sharp at all right now.

In a 3 on 3 with all the players in on the rush it's not a smart play, but to say he ALWAYS stops up and does a button hook is selective memory to support a narrative. It's just plain wrong. That drive he did against scuderi to create a scoring chance and draw a penalty was a fantastic play, but it doesn't support some posters narratives so it gets completely ignored.

It's the MO here, find something a player does bad, completely ignore anything the player does good, then proceed to rip said player for never making the right play. It just so happens nuge is the current target of this board right now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
In a 3 on 3 with all the players in on the rush it's not a smart play, but to say he ALWAYS stops up and does a button hook is selective memory to support a narrative. It's just plain wrong. That drive he did against scuderi to create a scoring chance and draw a penalty was a fantastic play, but it doesn't support some posters narratives so it gets completely ignored.

It's the MO here, find something a player does bad, completely ignore anything the player does good, then proceed to rip said player for never making the right play. It just so happens nuge is the current target of this board right now.

I've talked about both plays. I'm not on record saying Nuge does anything all the time. I'm saying a lot of the time he opts out and which is far less aggressive and playing with far less verve than what we saw in his rookie year.

I wouldn't say btw that beating a guy wide on a good pass where the D was caught flat footed is a "fantastic" play especially given Nuge wasn't able to finish. I could add that asserting it as a fantastic play is also a narrative and one in which Nuges contributions get elevated on this board while people in the same thread are suggesting that Hall is inerffective, or doesn't finish all the time when in Fact Halls play and production is light years better than Nuge.

Hall could make that rush 5 times in a game and not one poster would say that was fantastic. They would say he muffed the play. People are stating that in this thread. :amazed:

So in sum Nuge takes it to the net once in a game, only once, and its "Fantastic"

Hall routinely beats D for fun, gets countless scoring chances in a game and drives close to half the offense on this club and people are critiquing that he's not finishing more often.

Theres no perspective. Not saying you, just saying.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

It's not a 'bad' play per se but if it's pretty much your "go-to" play...every time...then it is a bad play because every team can read that from a mile away.

Not to mention the button hook stops any flow whatsoever. It's akin to Yakupov with that weird skating style of his as he goes into the o-zone and stickhandling like the puck is a grenade/hot potato.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Just remember we are on pace for less wins than both the Minnesota and Columbus inaugural seasons.

i am now doing what i always do every November with the Oilers....i am happy when they score, but not cheering anymore. happens every year. i was so looking forward to the 2 Oiler games i have tickets for this Christmas, but now not so much. with McDavid out and not getting a chance to see him live and with the Oilers sucking again, i am worried i'm going to come home from both games in a worse mood than before i went, just like the previous 6 years. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad