Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Devils 2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Somewhat agree with you. He was very good in the second half of the regular season last year. But he was pretty inconsistent in the playoffs came. When hes on, hes a valuable player, and when hes not, hes not. Not criticizing the player really, just the way it is.
He was inconsistent in the playoffs with RNH and Eberle. The moment he was put with Drai they dominated.

Lucic plays better with another big body with him to vibe off of.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He was inconsistent in the playoffs with RNH and Eberle. The moment he was put with Drai they dominated.

Lucic plays better with another big body with him to vibe off of.

Agreed that he plays much better with Drai. I dont think him and RNH have the best chemistry.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Can anyone else simply not stand watching Pakarinen play? The guy has no ability whatsoever to possess a puck. It's an instant turnover every time it comes near him.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
1 hit? What a joke. That said all the Oilers D were physical. NHL Hit numbers are a very poorly compiled stat. So much rink to rink bias.
I remember when Ryan Jones used to be credited with "hits" all the time and lead the team. His "hits" consisted of skating by guys when he could have blown them up. "Hits" is literally the worst stat aside from plus/minus

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Can anyone else simply not stand watching Pakarinen play? The guy has no ability whatsoever to possess a puck. It's an instant turnover every time it comes near him.

I find I'm defending him a lot. He has an active stick, breaks up a lot of plays if you look for it and is solid in own zone and usually on the PK. He is physical to play against, hits a lot, just works hard out there and can cycle the puck reasonably well. Give him players like Kassian and he's able to even get scoring chances. he also has a decent shot and can really wire the puck. he one an Oilers skills challenge with fastest shot btw. just saying.

Finally, in a recent telecast his bottomsix was considered the most effective line of the night for the Oilers. I think that was the Detroit game.

he won't produce a lot but is tough as nails and won't give quarter.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
@Del Preston

Larsson will be sitting on the can in an aboriginal head dress.

AsBWJHa.jpg

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
When Slepy returns, I hope we try Slepy-McDavid-Drai. He just looks so much more comfortable on the LW

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I find I'm defending him a lot. He has an active stick, breaks up a lot of plays if you look for it and is solid in own zone and usually on the PK. He is physical to play against, hits a lot, just works hard out there and can cycle the puck reasonably well. Give him players like Kassian and he's able to even get scoring chances. he also has a decent shot and can really wire the puck. he one an Oilers skills challenge with fastest shot btw. just saying.

Finally, in a recent telecast his bottomsix was considered the most effective line of the night for the Oilers. I think that was the Detroit game.

I find it maddening that none of Slepy, Pakarainen or Khaira have really grabbed the torch and run with their opportunity to shine in the NHL... We need ONE of them at least to step up and contribute something more... Personally I say let Malone and Rattie have a shot and send the above mentioned down for a reality check...

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Yeah. Remember when people were criticizing the coaching for the poor special teams? We'll here's your PK fix. Eventually they'll have to find a more rounded player or Pakarinen will have to start producing, but he's a legitimately better option on the PK.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I like Pak... especially when considering the alternative is Khaira. I remember that game when he was one of the most effective forwards all game!

OT is so much fun to watch with this team - pure domination. I find myself just praying for OT in the last 5 minutes of regulation to just hold them off...

Reactions: SpoolCat

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Pakarinen is a good penalty killer so he's gonna stay in the lineup for as long as the PK continues to need help.

His hands are Gryba bad though.

Reactions: nabob

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Last night, Larsson was at fault on the second goal, did nothing to prevent the pass leading to the first goal (not really a mistake, but would have been nice to see from a supposed defensive monster), would have been culpable on the Stafford shot that went through Talbot's legs since that chance was created by Larsson losing track of the puck when he shouldn't have, took two penalties, and was killed in terms of shot shares. He was not good, yet I'm guessing not a single negative thing was said about him in the GDT. I still say Oiler fans exaggerate his defensive ability and accept too little from him in general, raving about his "nastiness". As a #4 overall pick, SKILL should be Larsson's bread and butter, not cross-checks.

I thought Nurse was awful on both goals against, too. On the one goal, just wrapping it around the boards to no one, NJ gets the puck and eventually scores. Then there's that awful goal where the NJ player was just allowed to walk in, basically like a break-away, from the blue-line while Nurse just stood there to the left of Talbot the entire time, and didn't move his feet as the NJ player (and who scored on that play) closed in on Talbot, and was obvious that Letestu was not going to keep up or catch him and be able to check him in any way. Nurse should just taken ONE second to look around to see if there was anyone to cover (for a possible pass, or 2-on-1 situation), which there wasn't, and he read the entire play like a complete moron. All he had to do was take a quick look, then notice Letestu is in trouble, and close the gap on the NJ player and level him, knock the puck off his stick, whatever -- don't just f***ing stand there. So I think Nurse was just as bad, if not worse, personally. Everyone has bad games. Hell, Klefbom is having a VERY slow start (to put it one way), and he's my guy. He better get the hell going soon.

If this is more about the trade, I do wish we would've got a 2nd or something along with Larsson. But I really thought we needed a guy like Larsson in the worst way, and I thought it was worth it in parting with Hall (a ~25 goal guy -- quite good, but not elite (and Maroon has replaced those goals so far), and has only had 1 great, complete season where he scored a PPG avg over the entire 80 games or so).If it was Sequin we had and traded for Larsson, I'd have been ticked off, but we picked the wrong guy anyway, IMO (which shouldn't surprise given the time). Larsson isn't perfect. No Dman is; they all make mistakes from time to time. Even Doughty, Keith, Petro, you name anyone, they make mistakes. We're all human. Larsson was a huge part of our run last year, IMO, playing against top lines with Klefbom, and usually coming out ahead and arguably helping Klefbom break out. This season everyone on the team started slow, so I think they'll both get back to their top form soon, hopefully along with everyone else. Talbot seems to have now woken up, so that might spark something. I think he'll be important going forward for playoff hockey, as Lucic, Kassian and Maroon will be (if we can hold on to Maroon past this year, that is). Especially if we play Anaheim again -- we're going to need some greasy players to keep up with the huge, dirty grease stain that are the Ducks.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Stafford came down Larssons side.

I realize that, but Letestu was supposed to cover for him, and he did a crap job on checking Stafford, and Nurse 100% misread the play completely. I almost couldn't believe my eyes. No idea what he was thinking (or if he was). I'm not saying Larsson was great last night, but how soon we forget that he's been our best Dman in many games so far this season. Nurse has been generally better, too, but his thinking on that play displayed a lacking in hockey IQ, which has always been his issue. When he has the puck and is skating with it, he's fine. But his D coverage I'm not impressed with, and never have been. I do truly hope he can become a complete Dman on the first pairing, but I honestly don't see it. Hope he proves me 100% wrong; I'd rather win and be as dominant as a team as possible with everyone becoming even greater than their potential and making mistake-free hockey.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
When Sekera is back, we will see a MUCH better team... Honestly if we can get back to .500 with him out of the lineup, we'll make the playoffs.

Keep in mind that players who return from that injury usually take months before their play is back to normal.
Sekera may be a bottom pairing dman for a few months until he gets his feet under him.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Slepy-McDavid-Drai
Maroon-Nuge-Puljujarvi could be a solid top six.

Pulju can't be any worse than any of our other options to play in the 2nd RW spot right now. I do like Slepy, though; it's shame he got hurt, because I do think he has 2nd line potential still -- or more of a 2nd/3rd line tweener to be exact, IMO, but I think he could be a consistent 15-20 goal, 40-45 point guy every season if played on the 2nd line RW beside Nuge, which is decent enough if he's playing well defensively and in other important areas of the game. I'm not sure we have anything better than that right now.

Circling back to Pulju, I certainly think he has much more potential, and hopefully can pot a goal in his first game back, and get his confidence going. I do think he still has some things to learn (Slepy, too), but that should come. Since Slepy is out, I really hope Todd plays JP in that 2nd RW role, and just let him play his game. If he's the direct cause of a couple goals against, you send him back down again, if that's what they want. But at least give him a chance to play like he knows how, and see what happens. I feel Todd is too rigid sometimes, which I understand on one hand (systems are important), but if Pulju has the puck on his stick, and he has some room, just let him do his thing. Maybe Todd has; I don't know as I'm never in the locker-room or listening to their conversations, but it hasn't looked that way to me.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I realize that, but Letestu was supposed to cover for him, and he did a crap job on checking Stafford, and Nurse 100% misread the play completely. I almost couldn't believe my eyes. No idea what he was thinking (or if he was). I'm not saying Larsson was great last night, but how soon we forget that he's been our best Dman in many games so far this season. Nurse has been generally better, too, but his thinking on that play displayed a lacking in hockey IQ, which has always been his issue. When he has the puck and is skating with it, he's fine. But his D coverage I'm not impressed with, and never have been. I do truly hope he can become a complete Dman on the first pairing, but I honestly don't see it. Hope he proves me 100% wrong; I'd rather win and be as dominant as a team as possible with everyone becoming even greater than their potential and making mistake-free hockey.

Again with the low hockey IQ bullshit. His defensive reads this season have been very good. He makes one mistake, where Letestu totally crapped the bed on the play, leaving Nurse exposed and you're claiming he has a low hockey IQ. Also, it's always been his offensive play and decisions made while carrying the puck that people have criticized his hockey IQ for. Wish people would just drop the BS line that was said once, yet refuted by many very knowledgeable hockey minds. Klefbom has made a dozen mistakes bigger than Nurses one single gaff and you don't see anyone talking low hockey IQ BS about him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Keep in mind that players who return from that injury usually take months before their play is back to normal.
Sekera may be a bottom pairing dman for a few months until he gets his feet under him.

Rehab and treatment has progressed by miles in the last 10 years. This really isn't the case anymore.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Rehab and treatment has progressed by miles in the last 10 years. This really isn't the case anymore.

I am not going back 10 years. There is a reality to this injury...Sekera wont be immune to that.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I am not going back 10 years. There is a reality to this injury...Sekera wont be immune to that.
The reality is that he may have a bit of rust, but that he will also be 100% healthy when he comes back. Players used to come back early and play before they were 100% healthy all the time. They don't mess around with that anymore.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The reality is that he may have a bit of rust, but that he will also be 100% healthy when he comes back. Players used to come back early and play before they were 100% healthy all the time. They don't mess around with that anymore.

I like your optimism even though I do think its misplaced.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Again with the low hockey IQ bull****. His defensive reads this season have been very good. He makes one mistake, where Letestu totally crapped the bed on the play, leaving Nurse exposed and you're claiming he has a low hockey IQ. Also, it's always been his offensive play and decisions made while carrying the puck that people have criticized his hockey IQ for. Wish people would just drop the BS line that was said once, yet refuted by many very knowledgeable hockey minds. Klefbom has made a dozen mistakes bigger than Nurses one single gaff and you don't see anyone talking low hockey IQ BS about him.

Well, I've watched Nurse since his OHL days (I live in Ontario) and that's something I always noticed: a lack of hockey IQ. Not that he has zero, but he's also not a hockey IQ mega-star, either. Again, I hope he improves, and that aspect honestly does seem to be improving, so I'm happy with that. The only thing I can add is that this is all completely subjective. Sometimes we see things we want to see and ignore others. Maybe we're both guilty of that, or maybe not and just being honest with what we felt we've seen. I can't add much more as again this is all subjective. I mentioned he's been better this year, but he really mis-read that play on the 2nd goal, standing there near the net with no one to cover while Stafford comes steaming in. Hope he learns and the next time that exact situation happens he just clocks him with a shoulder to the chest (or even just knock the puck away, or at least TRY something). Learning experience, hopefully.

And yes, Klefbom has been mostly awful this season, and I've said so many times. We need him to get going at BOTH ends of the ice very badly -- we miss that offense from last season so so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad