Value of: Oilers 2018 1st

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Chia will most likely trade the pick for D help immediately if we fall out of the top 7 or 8. What would you give up for the pick or propose a package? (From 7 to 10 range)

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
If neither OTT nor EDM win a lotto spot, perhaps something could be worked out for a year of Karlsson. Would allow OTT to give up this years pick to COL while still getting a good prospect and starting their rebuild with next years pick intact. This depends on whether OTT decides to try being competitive next year in an effort to get Karlsson to resign vs that mountain being to big to climb.

A 7 to 10 pick might seem a lot for a player with 1 year left, but you rarely see picks in that range valued high enough to fetch an NHL player in return. Oilers would have to do a package of some sort.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Trading the pick is the best course of action when you have Mcdavid on your team. Part of a package for OEL makes sense.

I really don't get that thinking.

They've got too many issues on the roster/prospect pool to fix with 1 trade, trading that pick just drives them into cap hell fast, and then they need to start re-tooling when McDavid is in his prime.

• McDavid+ Drai making big money
  • bad contracts on the roster, multiple bad contracts and tough to move
  • weak depth on the roster
  • weak depth on prospect pool.
Quality ELC's are worth gold to Edmonton right now.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Last year the number 7 + DeAngelo got Raanta for 1 year and Stepan.

Granted there could be a bit different of a scenario in regards to the Oilers due to cap constraints. I would assume a fairly good 2nd pairing type of Defenseman on an ELC maybe? I'm not sure that EDM should be doing that in this draft though with all of the defensive prospects.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Last year the number 7 + DeAngelo got Raanta for 1 year and Stepan.

Granted there could be a bit different of a scenario in regards to the Oilers due to cap constraints. I would assume a fairly good 2nd pairing type of Defenseman on an ELC maybe? I'm not sure that EDM should be doing that in this draft though with all of the defensive prospects.
I am completely against trading the pick but with the Oilers man crush on OEL/Karlsson, Chia trying to save his job, and voices inside the org saying they want to win now. Trading the pick is pretty likely.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I am completely against trading the pick but with the Oilers man crush on OEL/Karlsson, Chia trying to save his job, and voices inside the org saying they want to win now. Trading the pick is pretty likely.

Well then are you essentially just wanting to do a proposal of OEL for EDM 1st + but you don't know what the plus is?

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Would either franchise do OEL for 8th-10th and Puljajarvi?
That is exactly what Chia might try to pull off. But i think i would not do it due to Puljujarvis potential and his improvement year to year albeit slow development.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Would either franchise do OEL for 8th-10th and Puljajarvi?

Edmonton would need to have an extension in place, Zona would need to be high on Bouchard/Dobson/Veleno
but its a solid proposal imho

Jan 21, 2018
I really don't get that thinking.

They've got too many issues on the roster/prospect pool to fix with 1 trade, trading that pick just drives them into cap hell fast, and then they need to start re-tooling when McDavid is in his prime.

• McDavid+ Drai making big money
  • bad contracts on the roster, multiple bad contracts and tough to move
  • weak depth on the roster
  • weak depth on prospect pool.
Quality ELC's are worth gold to Edmonton right now.

Yet another reason why Chiarelli should be fired. They can't even trade their best trade chips (1st 2018, puljujarvi, yamamoto etc) because he f***ed up their cap so badly.

If he didn't make all those dumb moves he could have landed a top pairing D with those high end assets and cap space.

Now he cant move them because he needs to plug in holes with cheap cost effective options, and no one is going to trade a top pairing D for anything else available on their roster.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
With Rnh having success with mcdavid the option of trading him should be off the table. We still need a puck moving d-man a scoring winger to play with drai and a back up to talbot. Now we wait and see if chia can pull it off without creating holes elsewhere

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
OEL doesn't really make sense as he plays the left side. Oilers are jammed up there and really need to trade one let alone add another.

Faulk + Skinner for Puljujarvi and 1st or 1st+++ for EK and Hoffman should be Edmonton's priority. If the salary can be worked out, Weber + MaxPac for a package of futures and a cap dump is another possibility.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
OEL doesn't really make sense as he plays the left side. Oilers are jammed up there and really need to trade one let alone add another.

Faulk + Skinner for Puljujarvi and 1st or 1st+++ for EK and Hoffman should be Edmonton's priority. If the salary can be worked out, Weber + MaxPac for a package of futures and a cap dump is another possibility.
I would do Faulk and Skinner for 1st and Yamamoto. Or 1st, Klef, Pulj, 2019 1st, strome, kassian for Karlsson and Hoffman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad