Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Vancouver 0 Dadbot with the SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Man have I ever liked Nurse's game lately. Awesome to see.
I didn't see a lot of people talking about Nurse after the game and I totally agree. I thought that was his best game of the year by far! He used his speed and size to absolutely shut down the Canucks.

I'm not sold on Gryba being a good partner for him long-term (they were getting hemmed into the zone a lot a few games ago) but if he can keep this up, he's going to develop into a great second pairing guy.

I'm still praying we can find a way to steal Montour from Anaheim. They already have Theodore and a stacked blueline and don't really have a logical place to put him. He looks NHL ready and I think he'd form a great third pairing with Nurse.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Great team win!

I must say that I enjoyed Ryan Whitney's detailed analysis of Puljujarvi vs Tkachuk, "who stays and who goes" debate. Being relatively uneducated about the finer points of hockey I must confess that I did not know that Puljujarvi should be in the AHL to improve his skating because it is not NHL calibre, nor did I know the Tkachuk was that much stronger a skater. SNET never fails to educate the masses.

To be fair last night in particular was not a good showing for PoolPary's skating, but I don't think to many people are worried about it going forward. Kid can be fast.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I mean really what was he going to ask that was so important?

"Do you feel you're primarily responsible for this win streak and how does that feel?" Vancouver Sun

"Do you still like the new arena" some edmonton guy

"Do you appreciate the Sedins twin magic through the fog of your false glory?" some othe vancouver guy

"I hear you"re returning from injury soon, do you know who your defense partner will be?" kevin quinn

"A lot of hard work ahead. Can you rehash that concept for a soundbite?" Oilers TV

Hahahah, well done. :handclap:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
In the last game of 2007-08 season Oilers beat Canucks 2-1 and went on to start the next season by beating Colorado, Anaheim and Calgary twice in regulation.

Last time this happening during single season was in the Stanley Cup Playoffs of 2006 when Oilers won six regulation games in a row, first three to end the series against the Sharks in the WCSF and then three to go 3-0 up against the Ducks WCF.

Last time this happening on a single regular season was in March of 2003. Oilers beat six different Western Conference teams in a row.

3baee889525e4c72abfc62009744e90e.png

Thanks for doing that work. It's certainly been a long time since this team has had this type of sustained success vs Western teams.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
How many wins does Edmonton have with Hall, but without Larsson and Lucic?

Wins in October with Hall:

October 7, 2010 over Calgary
October 10, 2010 over Florida (2-game winning streak)
October 29, 2010 over Chicago
October 9, 2011 over Pittsburgh
October 17, 2011 over Nashville
October 22, 2011 over NY Rangers
October 25, 2011 over Vancouver (2-game winning streak)
October 27, 2011 over Washington (3-game winning streak)
October 28, 2011 over Colorado (4-game winning streak)
October 30, 2011 over St. Louis (5-game winning streak)
October 31, 2011 over Los Angeles (6-game winning streak)

October 7, 2013 over New Jersey
October 19, 2013 over Ottawa
October 20, 2014 over Tampa Bay Lightning
October 22, 2014 over Washington (2-game winning streak)
October 24, 2014 over Carolina (3-game winning streak)
October 27, 2014 over Montreal (4-game winning streak)
October 17, 2015 over Calgary
October 18, 2015 over Vancouver (2-game winning streak)
October 21, 2015 over Detroit (3-game winning streak)
October 29, 2015 over Montreal

21 wins with Hall but not Lucic or Larsson, 8 of those against Western Conference teams
7 (maybe 8) wins without Hall but with Lucic or Larsson, 5 of those against Western Conference teams

Last edited:

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
If you haven't yet, watch this goal but stare at Hutton, the Canucks RD who's tasked with stopping McDavid, the entire time. Just watch him with his head down skating as hard as he can the entire time and having a 10+ ft head start, and by the blue line he's already so far back he can't even get his stick in front of McDavid:

Ridiculous.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
The schedule this year is really helping. I'm not saying that this is smoke and mirrors, just that not having a lot of travel, or 3 games in 4 nights, really allows the team to practice, adjust and get better.

Looking back to last year. We played some good teams well, but without success. I don't remember our exact schedule, but I don't imagine we had it as easy in terms of travel and off days.

I really believe this schedule has allowed this team to work on things, polish things up, gel. November is going to be rough, but this team seems to be putting in the work. It's going to be fun #herecometheoilers

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Let's just break this down and savour it, shall we?

"I got this..."
mcd1PNG_3m2qyytmp1.png

"Uh oh."
mcd2PNG_0rakrqvecr.png

"Oh ****."
mcd3PNG_n5na8w9pxm.png

"Can I at least whack him?"
mcd4PNG_85cfsj3jzv.png

"Maybe I can go work as a zoo keeper next. I like animals."
mcd5PNG_p77ffto3i5.png

Toss that last one in with the collection of sad faces for this season.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Larsson did get an assist I believe.
But just before Larsson got it and passed it up, Connor was around the puck and helped break up the play. Wondering if he touched the puck before it got to Larsson.
We need to petition the NHL to give a 2nd assist to McDavid :).

Yeah, I couldn't tell if he poked the puck to Larsson or not? Guess everyone can tell I have McDavid in my pool :laugh::laugh:

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
If you haven't yet, watch this goal but stare at Hutton, the Canucks RD who's tasked with stopping McDavid, the entire time. Just watch him with his head down skating as hard as he can the entire time and having a 10+ ft head start, and by the blue line he's already so far back he can't even get his stick in front of McDavid:

Ridiculous.

I can't understand the speed/skill combination of McDavid. Hutton recognizes the situation early in the play but is helpless to prevent McDavid from beating him. I've never seen a player attack defenders in so many ways. He can go around, past, he puts the puck so close to defenders feet that they can't use their sticks, he makes fakes that paralyze the dman, he chips and chases, draws defenders in leaving an open winger, etc. McDavid is inventing ways of attacking on a game by game basis. It appears the only limit to his offensive ability is his imagination. Scary!

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Serious question: did McLellan dedicate entire practices this year to stick checking?

I've never seen so many successful and ridiculously timely stick lifts by the Oilers in a span of 3 games.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
What game from Kassian. Guy came to play vs. his former team. Such a steal by Chiarelli on that one.

Great game from a lot of guys. RNH looked great and so did Nurse. Very good sign that Nurse is starting to figure out the NHL game.

Gryba too played incredible. He was making smart reads with the puck all night. What is going on with these guys?

Klefbom looks completely lost is and making bad pass after bad pass. Hopefully he can step his game up. He has missed a lot of hockey so maybe he needs time to adjust, but he's not looking pretty right now.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Serious question: did McLellan dedicate entire practices this year to stick checking?

I've never seen so many successful and ridiculously timely stick lifts by the Oilers in a span of 3 games.

When was the last time Eberle made a back check like the one he made last night? Ebs is in 100% buy in mode right now. The defensive buy in from the forwards is really top notch so far this year. The coverage from this team compared to Eakins... unreal lol.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011

I noticed that too, players seem to be way more alert with the play and not puck watching. Good stuff man. :yo:

Also, it is getting annoying reading the main boards and people thinking Nurse is finished as a prospect. Guy was thrown to the wolves last year due to injury and this year looks great in a role that he is supposed to be in.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
My take on the game, such as it is.

My pregame prediction was it was going to be a 3-1 Vancouver win, and once again I'm proven to be a really bad prognosticator. I'm OK with that in this case. :)

Never in my craziest sweat lodge dreams did I expect the Oilers to start this year 7-1, but neither did I expect the Oilers to play such a consistently physical brand of hockey either. Not even kidding, this brand of winning hockey is about as far away from classic "Oilers Hockey" as it gets, no chasing the OILERS HOCKEY! dragon here, like the previous regimes seemed so emotionally invested in for who knows how many years.

Instead of continuing to try to recreate the 80's Oilers, they're just trying to build a winning team after lucking into a generational #1 overall (finally after 4 tries!), and it's so far so good.

This x 1000!!!! I think the old regime was talking to teir 1 fans too much. We tier 2 and 3 fans pine for the old Gator, Smyttie, Greersy teams.

Just win, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce