Hendricks
Lander
Yakimov
Acton
Miller
Khaira
Ewanyk
Pitlick

That's pretty much every possible option at centre currently in the Oilers organization.

I think we have some "short term pain" before we see long term gain... I think that's MacT's thinking as well.

Either he struck out completely while trying to add to the depth down the middle in free agency this summer OR he simply sees that this current C depth is "good enough" and wants to keep the door open for guys like Draisaitl/Arcobello/Lander/Yakimov etc to win spots on this roster.

Playing Devil's Advocate... you have to keep the door cracked for players in the system who work hard and overachieve and push their way into the lineup instead of going out and overpaying a vet C who takes a up roster spot but are only here for the $$$ and will be gone when this team is a contender... off to chase the bigger buck.

RNH and Gordon are the only two legit established NHL centres.. but out of the other 10 on that list up above... in the next 1-2 years they should have at least 1 or 2 more establish themselves as legit roster players.

Hendricks is actually already a legit 4th line C... so really they just need one of Draisaitl/Arcobello/Lander to pan out.

Looking ahead a year or two... Yakimov or Khaira may excel and perform better than expected.

Maybe a player like Pitlick or Ewanyk develops into a solid 4th line option as well.

Miller and Acton are obviously AHL fodder BUT in the event of an extreme run of injuries... they can play a 4th line C role in the NHL as well.

All in all... it's obviously centre depth filled with question marks in the here and now but with the potential to turn into decent depth IF some of those players play up to their full potential.

I think that's what MacT is gambling on... taking that dirty dozen up above and trying to squeeze 4 legit NHL centres out of them by the end of this season.

I think that's certainly possible even though right now it looks to some like crap down the middle... full of longshots and inexperience. I think there is enough there to take an educated gamble on. That one important position could turn out as a strength if at least one or two of those question marks play up to their potential.

Besides... there's nothing saying a vet C brought in this summer would excel and be a strong asset on this club... nothing saying we wouldn't be seeing Belanger 2.0 this summer and instead MacT has decided to roll with internal options... not an abysmal move imo.. of course if it doesn't work out... pitchforks and torches. :)

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I love Boyd Gordon but if he's your second-line centre than you're not an NHL team. End of.

Agreed, but i honestly hate the other end of the spectrum thinking where he and hendricks are both on the fourth line. Gordon has skill and i a pick beast when healthy. He could really assist quality linemates. I see him as a full time third line centre. His hockey iq all over th ice is very high. He makes the smart plays and can make the puck do the work, using his wingers.
To me its really not using him as an asset if he is on the fourth and defensive zone draws all year. He is just too good at getting pucks for hiw wingers and transitioning quickly and supporting pucks to keep him with cement handed plugs. Hendricks can do that stuff.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Hall RNH Ebs
Perron _______ Yakupov
Pouliot Gordon Purcell
_______ Hendricks Gazdic

There's a more realistic look at the blanks. Or even moreso,

Hall RNH Ebs
Perron _______ Yakupov
Pouliot _______ Purcell
Hendricks Gordon Gazdic

And we're going to plug in Arcobello, Lander, Draisaitl or a waiver pickup in those spots, so unless we get an unexpected breakout performance of 45-55 points out of one of those guys, we're still not looking great despite having much better wing depth.

Even knowledgable hockey fans outside Edmonton would say Gordon is a proper 3rd line Centre who can support his wingers. Its some weird homer attitude that has him below where his talents should have him. Extremely bad for the club to waste such an asset.
Most fans of other teams would say Gordon is a perfect 3rd line Centre. I know lots of flames and nucks fans that would love Gordon as their third C. It doesnt matter if we go with 3 scoring lines...someone needs to support those wingers and the dmen...get loose pucks and help the transition and gap control. I also think if purcell and poopoo are on the same line...its a no brainer to put Gordon with them and then its a perfect third line that could be your key scoring pressure line on any given night.
Its funny how people truly dont acknowledge a guys skill in this town if he cant toe drag.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Even knowledgable hockey fans outside Edmonton would say Gordon is a proper 3rd line Centre who can support his wingers. Its some weird homer attitude that has him below where his talents should have him. Extremely bad for the club to waste such an asset.
Most fans of other teams would say Gordon is a perfect 3rd line Centre. I know lots of flames and nucks fans that would love Gordon as their third C. It doesnt matter if we go with 3 scoring lines...someone needs to support those wingers and the dmen...get loose pucks and help the transition and gap control. I also think if purcell and poopoo are on the same line...its a no brainer to put Gordon with them and then its a perfect third line that could be your key scoring pressure line on any given night.
Its funny how people truly dont acknowledge a guys skill in this town if he cant toe drag.

People peg Gordon as a 4th liber because of his lack of offensive production--many expect 3rd liners to put 30+ points. IMO, Gordon has defensive and face-off ability of a checking line centre--i.e. someone who can play against top competition and not get slaughtered. 4th line centre to me is someone who can provide energy in limited (softer) minutes and PK ability. But you would not normally ice such players against other teams' top offensive players. Lander is a 4th line centre.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
People peg Gordon as a 4th liber because of his lack of offensive production--many expect 3rd liners to put 30+ points. IMO, Gordon has defensive and face-off ability of a checking line centre--i.e. someone who can play against top competition and not get slaughtered. 4th line centre to me is someone who can provide energy in limited (softer) minutes and PK ability. But you would not normally ice such players against other teams' top offensive players. Lander is a 4th line centre.

He seemed to post points at the beginning of the year when his linemates werent constantly gazdic and eager and joe schmoez.
And i agree about the 4th lines... When you think of ice time... Our top three lines should be eating almost the entire 60. Its nice to have two checking lines but alot of teams dont have that until they bulk at the deadline. Pooo gordon and purcell can be a pretty solid threat.

And i forget...lots of hfoil think smids a top pair d and he cant toe drag. So my statement of no love for non toe draggers is off

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Wasting Gordon by using him in the role he's best at? MacT has said repeatedly he wants three scoring lines, Gordon can't play that role, and one heavy dzone line, a role he's perfect for. They want to use Gordon like the Canucks used Maholtra when they were elite. He's going to get a lot of spot duty and heavy PK minutes to go with solid EV strength minutes on his regular line. I'd expect he plays the second or third most at even strength of all our centers when you add it up.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com

Just so you know, MacT said he wanted to try to assemble 3 scoring lines and have one d-zone line meaning Gordon would be on that d-zone line, NOT one of the 3 scoring lines.

Even most un-knowledgeable Oilers fans know that...but you apparently don't.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Take a Flyer on Lecavalier??

Well seeing that flyers are almost 5 million over the cap, would you guys take a flyer on Lecavalier (4.5m) for maybe a 3rd round pick and a 4th?? He could fill that second line void until Draisaitl is ready to take on that role, so we don't have to rush him into it.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Well seeing that flyers are almost 5 million over the cap, would you guys take a flyer on Lecavalier (4.5m) for maybe a 3rd round pick and a 4th?? He could fill that second line void until Draisaitl is ready to take on that role, so we don't have to rush him into it.

Lecavalier is alas past his prime and his contract will be a problem in a year or two.

Jun 9, 2011
RNH
Draisaitl
Arcobello
Gordon
Hendricks
Lander
Yakimov
Acton
Miller
Khaira
Ewanyk
Pitlick

That's pretty much every possible option at centre currently in the Oilers organization.

I think we have some "short term pain" before we see long term gain... I think that's MacT's thinking as well.

Either he struck out completely while trying to add to the depth down the middle in free agency this summer OR he simply sees that this current C depth is "good enough" and wants to keep the door open for guys like Draisaitl/Arcobello/Lander/Yakimov etc to win spots on this roster.

Playing Devil's Advocate... you have to keep the door cracked for players in the system who work hard and overachieve and push their way into the lineup instead of going out and overpaying a vet C who takes a up roster spot but are only here for the $$$ and will be gone when this team is a contender... off to chase the bigger buck.

RNH and Gordon are the only two legit established NHL centres.. but out of the other 10 on that list up above... in the next 1-2 years they should have at least 1 or 2 more establish themselves as legit roster players.

Hendricks is actually already a legit 4th line C... so really they just need one of Draisaitl/Arcobello/Lander to pan out.

Looking ahead a year or two... Yakimov or Khaira may excel and perform better than expected.

Maybe a player like Pitlick or Ewanyk develops into a solid 4th line option as well.

Miller and Acton are obviously AHL fodder BUT in the event of an extreme run of injuries... they can play a 4th line C role in the NHL as well.

All in all... it's obviously centre depth filled with question marks in the here and now but with the potential to turn into decent depth IF some of those players play up to their full potential.

I think that's what MacT is gambling on... taking that dirty dozen up above and trying to squeeze 4 legit NHL centres out of them by the end of this season.

I think that's certainly possible even though right now it looks to some like crap down the middle... full of longshots and inexperience. I think there is enough there to take an educated gamble on. That one important position could turn out as a strength if at least one or two of those question marks play up to their potential.

Besides... there's nothing saying a vet C brought in this summer would excel and be a strong asset on this club... nothing saying we wouldn't be seeing Belanger 2.0 this summer and instead MacT has decided to roll with internal options... not an abysmal move imo.. of course if it doesn't work out... pitchforks and torches. :)
Agree agree agree... the thought of giving up assets for someone like Vinnie L doesn't make sense to me.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land

if the deal is for a pick and a plug, we don't lose in a deal for Lecavalier. assuming he comes in with a positive attitude and ready to contribute any way he can. And if guys like Kaihra and Yakimov can work Vincent Lecavalier out of a roster spot, they can play for the Oilers. I'm not buying into the hole at second line center. and i believe we are deep at every other position other than center. so if we need to run 2-1-2 on 2 lines, we have the forwards to do it and the centers to pull it off. If the 1st line can contain, and the 4th line can get us ozone starts. We can win games. If we can piece a 2nd line together that can also contain. We have a team with the tools to get it into the playoffs.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
if the deal is for a pick and a plug, we don't lose in a deal for Lecavalier. assuming he comes in with a positive attitude and ready to contribute any way he can. And if guys like Kaihra and Yakimov can work Vincent Lecavalier out of a roster spot, they can play for the Oilers. I'm not buying into the hole at second line center. and i believe we are deep at every other position other than center. so if we need to run 2-1-2 on 2 lines, we have the forwards to do it and the centers to pull it off. If the 1st line can contain, and the 4th line can get us ozone starts. We can win games. If we can piece a 2nd line together that can also contain. We have a team with the tools to get it into the playoffs.

Lecavalier is barely a 2nd line centre at 34 and is set to make 4.5M for the next 4 years. The Oilers will need tons of cap space in the next 2-3 years (Yakupov, Draisatl, Schultz Marincin, Nurse) will, hopefully, all command substantial raises and guys like Ferrence and Pouliot will still be eaiting a chunk of cap space.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I like how the scenario in which we have the closest thing to an NHL team in eight years involves Boyd Gordon and Matt Hendricks as the second and third line centres.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
If Draisaitl isn't ready (which I think he will be) and even if Arco can do a suitable job...

woodson.gif

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I like how the scenario in which we have the closest thing to an NHL team in eight years involves Boyd Gordon and Matt Hendricks as the second and third line centres.

Sssshhhhh... Nobody wants a realty check in August, it's still too early. That'll come at the beginning of October.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Lecavalier is barely a 2nd line centre at 34 and is set to make 4.5M for the next 4 years. The Oilers will need tons of cap space in the next 2-3 years (Yakupov, Draisatl, Schultz Marincin, Nurse) will, hopefully, all command substantial raises and guys like Ferrence and Pouliot will still be eaiting a chunk of cap space.

nothing says we would have to hold onto him for all 4 years... Like nothing says we will need Pouliot or Ference in 2-3 years either.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
There were rumblings MacTavish made the call on Berglund earlier in the off-season. (I think Elliott Friedman reported this in 30 thoughts) I'll be interested to see what the Blues end up doing once training camp comes around. Lots of bodies there, maybe someone steps up and Armstrong re-thinks moving Berglund. I think Berglund would round out our forward group nicely..

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Perron - Berglund - Yakupov
Pouliot - Draisaitl/Arcobello - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Gazdic

This would be the most balanced group of forwards we've had for a while..

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
There were rumblings MacTavish made the call on Berglund earlier in the off-season. (I think Elliott Friedman reported this in 30 thoughts) I'll be interested to see what the Blues end up doing once training camp comes around. Lots of bodies there, maybe someone steps up and Armstrong re-thinks moving Berglund. I think Berglund would round out our forward group nicely..

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Perron - Berglund - Yakupov
Pouliot - Draisaitl/Arcobello - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Gazdic

This would be the most balanced group of forwards we've had for a while..

Has Perron played with Berglund before? Might be a pretty good fit here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad