Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Flames 1 in a shootout

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
It's the byproduct of the indoctrination that comes when you're assigned to a particular team's broadcasts. Hrudey's the Flames' dude, lives in the city and evidently drinks the water. He's myopic and biased, and when you're a fan of any team the Flames are playing, you end up throwing up a little in your mouth as you listen to the love-in. But he's no different than the Drew Remendas of the broadcast world. Flames fans will have much the same to say about his Oilers perpectives, I would bet.
Too bad but Remenda praises the opposition the Oilers play all the time.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

And it's one thing to do it for the home team Oilers or Flames Sportsnet broadcast and another to do it while hosting Hockey Night in Canada. The same complaints are leveled against Olczyk when he transitions from CSN/WGN for the local Blackhawks broadcast to the national NBC broadcast; he cannot eliminate the pro-Chicago bias out of his commentary. The difference being, of course, that Olczyk is actually a good color commentator, unlike Hrudey.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
You mean Klinkhammer

I'm so glad other people noticed this. I was completely baffled by this at the start of the game. It's not like the names even sound close to each other. He even referenced 'ROB Klinkhammer' so he knew who he was talking about. Time passed, enough time for any of the several people in the broadcast booth to correct him, and several minutes later went back to using his name.
Unbelievable.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
+1

I still think it's just fans with too strong of an attachment that they can't see certain players' faults [accept?]. It doesn't apply to just Nuge but most of the usual Core [Hall, Yak, Ebs, Nuge]. I also notice that criticism of Nuge/Ebs/Yak tend elicit greater responses:laugh:

The interesting thing is that Hall, possessed of the most ability and consistency of those players is also the one that has adapted best to the club obtaining McDavid.

Frankly it surprises me but Hall is showing the most maturity, perspective, and he has seamlessly adapted to the McDavid era. I thought he might struggle with it. The interview yesterday confirmed a lot. He really is a better thinker than given credit for.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
They had to edit out: "And how does it feel to play against both Johnny Gaudreau and Sam Bennett tonight Taylor?"

Its weird that they'd edit that out. Hasn't Hall publicly stated that his first few years in the league that he loved watching Johnny and Bennett playing in minor midget and tried to model his game after both of them? I think he even asked for Johnny's autograph the first time they played against each other.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
That's *** ridiculous. I am sick of Johnny Hockey and what the hell has Bennett done besides absolutely nothing except for the last two games.

That was a nauseating broadcast to listen to. I think the panel was stunned after the game, they were not prepared for the Oilers to win.

Suck it.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
That's *** ridiculous. I am sick of Johnny Hockey and what the hell has Bennett done besides absolutely nothing except for the last two games.

That was a nauseating broadcast to listen to. I think the panel was stunned after the game, they were not prepared for the Oilers to win.

Suck it.

You could tell Hrudey was upset that the oilers won after the game ended with the panel talking. Even blowhard Romanuk got all quiet right after Fayne scored to tie the game. HNIC reduced to having guys like Hrudey, Romanuk, Krypeos, etc is just terrible. Hockey experts/analysts my ass. Only Friedman fits that category. I respect him the most for shutting Hrudey's homer comments down and Krypeos attempt of being a GM.

The Pouzar

May 6, 2009
The Kop
I knew I could ignore anything that Johnson said when he came up with they'd sure liekto take this ice to the new building and rambled on about what great ice was at Rexall. It showed how clueless he catually was. The ice has been going steadily downhill for a while. It's as if his knowledge of the Oilers stopped in the mid 90s.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
They had to edit out: "And how does it feel to play against both Johnny Gaudreau and Sam Bennett tonight Taylor?"

I loved the Kypreos/Hrudey good cop/bad cop routine.

Kypreos; he's always going to look back at the first 6 years without a playoff game and (be disappointed).
Hrudery; ......

/end analysis

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yeah the commentary is worse than ever.

I sure hate the nhl rule book as well. Players using carbon fibre sticks that eight 2 ounces and break if you look at them and you get a slashing penalty for breaking these pieces of crap.

The puck over the glass call should be purely discretionary by the refs as to if it was intended to delay the game. The oilers get 3 penalites against due to the above meanwhile they let the game back into being a friggin rodeo.

A win is a win but the oilers looked pure awful, totally stinko in that game.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I knew I could ignore anything that Johnson said when he came up with they'd sure liekto take this ice to the new building and rambled on about what great ice was at Rexall. It showed how clueless he catually was. The ice has been going steadily downhill for a while. It's as if his knowledge of the Oilers stopped in the mid 90s.

yeah, its shocking how uninformed the eastern commentators are about the oilers.... the ice comments are a good example of that, as the ice has been only average for around a decade now... the average HFoil poster knows a LOT more than many of the paid commentators, which is really, really, really sad

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah the commentary is worse than ever.

I sure hate the nhl rule book as well. Players using carbon fibre sticks that eight 2 ounces and break if you look at them and you get a slashing penalty for breaking these pieces of crap.

The puck over the glass call should be purely discretionary by the refs as to if it was intended to delay the game. The oilers get 3 penalites against due to the above meanwhile they let the game back into being a friggin rodeo.

A win is a win but the oilers looked pure awful, totally stinko in that game.

yeah i can't even bring myself to watch NHL hockey anymore unless the oilers are playing.... we're back to the dead-puck, clutch-and-grab era of the 2000s... its just pathetic hockey to watch and completely boring and uninteresting

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
while that is true, HNIC is not a flames regional broacast. hrudey should be putting away that regional crap for a nation broacast. it's embarrasing how badly hrudey swings from the flames nuts, on what is supposed to be an unbiased national broacast.
True enough.

You may be right and I'm selling Remenda short, though my intent was to suggest that bias in general is something that pervades broadcasting to a particular fan base.

Mind you, it's never stopped Spector. lol

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
True enough.

You may be right and I'm selling Remenda short, though my intent was to suggest that bias in general is something that pervades broadcasting to a particular fan base.

Mind you, it's never stopped Spector. lol

I actually kinda like Remenda. I remember when he was in San José I thought he was one of the few opposing commentators I could stand listening to because he wasn't that much of a homer.

He'd criticize bad calls even if they went the Sharks' way etc.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
So, I live and work in Calgary. Among Flames fans.

Today talking hockey... 3 o them said that they couldn't believe how biased the coverage was on saturday... specifically how "pro-Calgary" it was.

And my boss as he was handing over the money from the bet also said he thought the refs had been pretty in favor of the Flames.

It's pretty bad when the fans of the other team acknowledge the poor treatment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad