Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 - Canucks 1 (OT) || Shooter Tutor Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Kid line was invisible, they didn't meet expectations and were stuck in their zones for 1-2 minutes a couple times. Sedins are still playing really well but none of their linemates know what to do other than skate as far away as they can from those two. Burrows knows what to do on that line and should be back there, it works, maybe someone else will work later but we need to win games right now. I thought our 4th line is doing pretty good, everyone's going to cry and whine because well their corsi probably isn't that good but they have a ton of ice-time in the offensive zone. They wear opponents down and as a 4th line, they don't get stuck in their own zone. Probably our 2nd best line this game and have been our most consistent this season.

Sutter can't be our leading scorer if we want to win, he's done more than enough so far and we need the Sedins to get points, get Burrows on that line. Defensively, we are a better team than last year because we don't get stuck in our own end but I think losing Matthias and Richardson hurts offensively. Higgins was also a consistent 30+ point player. The problem with rookies like Virtanen, McCann and young players like Baertschi and Horvat is that they are still inconsistent which means we don't have consistent veterans who don't make mistakes. That's why I think Virtanen and McCann both should go down, if we have to keep one, keep McCann because he has shown he can score and his shot looks like one of the better ones in the NHL.

Get Burrows with the Sedins, Baertschi, Sutter, and Hansen, 3rd line of McCann/Virtanen, Horvat, Vrbata.

California teams are starting to get their act together and this short lead we have on them isn't going to last if we let them catch up so this team has to get as many wins as they can early because they disappear late.

I agree, Virtanen looks lost and he doesn't have any patience with the puck so he just shoots or passes it as soon as he has the puck.

Needs to go back to junior and get some confidence back, the game is moving to fast for him

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I agree, Virtanen looks lost and he doesn't have any patience with the puck so he just shoots or passes it as soon as he has the puck.

Needs to go back to junior and get some confidence back, the game is moving to fast for him

That's why he generated 2 scoring chances in 9 minutes of ice-time, right? :laugh: :shakehead

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
all this gripe about rookie ice time

Arizona is actually not a good example as Duclair is getting shafted with 9min of ice time per game and Domi around 12-14 which is fine

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So 6 games in to the year these are some conclusions we can make

-most of us myself included were wrong about miller. Hes playing great
-wd overp plays the 4th line who are good 4thr liners but should get 4th line minutes
-wd doesnt allow minutes for are youth who need more time to get better (mccann and jake)
-baerchi was a bad trade. Please get rid of him
-edler playing like the torts year BAD
-tanev has up and down but seems mostly up now
-hutton a great suprise
-sbisa and barkowski are made fun of way too much by the fans but there doing a good third pareing job. I never liked the sbisa hate here tbh
-vrbata should of been traded off season his value now is real low
-horvat having a bad year if gets worse could need some time with the comets
-sedins look good but have no finish but im not really worried about them
-burrows and hansen look like good vets that can play on any line
-like jakes game hope he gets a few in soon or could hurt his confidence
-anyways overall were doing better then i thought but this team made this way wont beat the hawks or ducks or kings in the playoffs

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Talking about Hutton as the best in franchise history is stupid. On the other hand...Chris Tanev if he keeps this up...

Best player on this team. Probably a bit exaggerated, but if he played the same powerplay minutes as every other #1 defenseman in the league, he would be up there in Norris voting. By up there I mean top-10, not a finalist, but he's actually turning into (if he hasn't already) one of the best shutdown defenseman in the league.
He has little to no offense.

He's def one of the best shutdown dmen in the league but nowhere near the likes of guys like Weber, Doughty when it comes to both ends of the rink.

arsmaster*

The only reason the kid line was invisible was because they were hardly used.

Anyone have the ice time figures. Looked like the Cracknell line played a lot.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
The only reason the kid line was invisible was because they were hardly used.

Anyone have the ice time figures. Looked like the Cracknell line played a lot.
They can't have those 3 out there together. Would have interesting to see if they swapped Burr with Baertschi and see what kind of balance those lines would have.

The Jesus*

Weren't you the one asking for a corsi summary and then skipped it when you saw that Virtanen was 3rd worst in such limited time?

The kid line wasn't great tonight. Their scoring chances usually came from foot speed off the rush after being hemmed in for a while.

The line as a whole wasn't great, but I personally really liked Virtanen tonight. Sven was ok I suppose. Horvat was just awful though.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Willy has no problem throwing out players that play terrible all the time so the kid line being invisible isn't really an excuse

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Virtanen was fine tonight. Love his physicality. His offensive game at this level is still raw but will get more comfortable soom.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Kid line generated the only goal we scored tonight. Thought they were really good for a few stretches. Horvat's not looking as good as he has recently, Baertschi's still clearly trying to find his way, and Virtanen's just trying to find his linemates usually. Yeah, they have trouble in their own end sometimes. To be expected. Don't suppose anyone noticed our vets also have similar troubles.

Anyway...yeah. Shooter tutor needed. Vrbata's so cold you could keep a side of beef on him for a month. Danny with the "how the f*** did you miss that?!" miss of the year.

Meh. Get 'em next time.

The Jesus*

"Hemmed in their own zone"

Whole line was positive in Corsi

It's possible to be hemmed in your own zone for 2 minutes, break out, get one shot on net off the rush and have a net positive corsi rating.

Corsi isn't some objective measure of quality of play. Puck possession tends to be a better indicator of that.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
he dominated the faceoff circle though. how many ozone starts did he get to take advantage of that?

WD doesn't think that far.

His only focus is making sure He doesn't screw up his number patterns: 1-2-4-1-2-4-3-1-2-4-4-4-4-4

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Willy has no problem throwing out players that play terrible all the time so the kid line being invisible isn't really an excuse

As I see it, the problem is: Willy coaches not to lose. He rarely coaches to win.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
I have a feeling we havn't seen the last of Vey this season. WD will get his true love back in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad