Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Canucks 0 - Talbot with the shutout

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
OK, well, people are saying:

1. Nurse was much better when he got called up and has really started to slump, but
2. Reinhart and Oesterle have been awesome, so they can replace him next year!

Anyone see the problem, here? AHL call-ups haven't really proven themselves until they get at least half a season's worth of decent performances in. So much of NHL quality is endurance and consistency, not just 5 games at the end of a season where you do pretty good.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC

1. Nurse was much better when he got called up and has really started to slump, but

Anyone see the problem, here? AHL call-ups haven't really proven themselves until they get at least half a season's worth of decent performances in. So much of NHL quality is endurance and consistency, not just 5 games at the end of a season where you do pretty good.

Good post. Nurse is young and improving every season. Last year he wasn't able to stick in the NHL, this year he was able to stick in the NHL, but did struggle at times; that's still a good progression, jumping from juniors to the NHL without much AHL time. Next year I expect him to play a similar role as this season but handle it much better. That'll be his growth for 2015-16.

As for Reinhart and Oesterle, that'll be up to them. There'll be injuries, and more AHL time for both wouldn't hurt.

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011

Oesterle's worst game was better than Nurse's best.

Reinhart has much better positioning and reads. It's his mobility holding him back.

Nurse wasn't much better at the beginning of season. He's had a handful of games where he's looked decent. The vast majority he's been fed and dramatically on the losing side of scoring chances. Offensively he hasn't done a thing. For top pairing potential you'd expect the occasional great offensive play.

If not for injuries Nurse would have been in the AHL all season...where he should have been except for the occasional call up.

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011
I think it's a "little" too early to be writing Nurse off as a #4/5 dman who'll likely be pushed off the team next year.

Pardon my French... but I think that actually borders on bat**** crazy.

Nurse becoming a second pairing D is not a bad thing.

For next season who is he easily behind right now? Sekera, Fayne, Davidson, Klefbom. Two more D will be brought in which essentially pushes Nurse to a #7 fight vs Oesterle and Reinhart. Both of whom I think are currently better D than Nurse.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Nurse becoming a second pairing D is not a bad thing.

For next season who is he easily behind right now? Sekera, Fayne, Davidson, Klefbom. Two more D will be brought in which essentially pushes Nurse to a #7 fight vs Oesterle and Reinhart. Both of whom I think are currently better D than Nurse.

Which is kind of why I'm not sure two more D will be brought in unless we ship out a defender.

If Oesterle, Davidson, Nurse, Reinhart, Simpson, Musil are all pushing for varying degrees of "spots" against Klefbom, Sekera, Fayne and the mystery meat we add via FA or a trade....

You potentially have 6 defenders competing for the last two spots.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Which is kind of why I'm not sure two more D will be brought in unless we ship out a defender.

If Oesterle, Davidson, Nurse, Reinhart, Simpson, Musil are all pushing for varying degrees of "spots" against Klefbom, Sekera, Fayne and the mystery meat we add via FA or a trade....

You potentially have 6 defenders competing for the last two spots.

I see Reinhart as being moved out. Im guessing Chiarelli wants to wipe that egg of his face that was likely a direct result of old management pushing him to make the deal. Reinhart still has some value, but on Oilers his roles been taken by Davidson, maybe Osterle and by some reports maybe Musil. Simpson is a year or 2 away.

Nurse in AHL barring a lights out camp. That leaves Osterle, Gryba, Pardy, Fayne going for #6 RHD spot (assuming Davidson has bottom pairing LHD spot locke dup)

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Remember last year at this time when everyone thought Nurse would be a lock for top4 this season? Well the kid is learning on the fly right now and hes actually doing a hell of a job for a 20 year old. Hes developing, TM sees this, there is going to be mistakes, but as long as the effort is there you can live with that. Nurse has great effort every night.

Im more high on Nurse right now than I was a year ago.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Fayne deserves more praise

Hes been doing a good job past 20 games. Many people have been praising Sekera but I dont think its a coincidence that started when Fayne joined him on that pairing.

Im torn on Fayne. On one hand hes a reliable vet and a pretty consistent guy. On the other hes expensive and overpaid. I dont hate his game, but his contract is a bit a slight concern

Id like to see next year

Sekera-XXX
Klefbom-xxx
Davidson-Fayne

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Hes been doing a good job past 20 games. Many people have been praising Sekera but I dont think its a coincidence that started when Fayne joined him on that pairing.

Im torn on Fayne. On one hand hes a reliable vet and a pretty consistent guy. On the other hes expensive and overpaid. I dont hate his game, but his contract is a bit a slight concern

Id like to see next year

Sekera-XXX
Klefbom-xxx
Davidson-Fayne

I dont pay much attention to Willis at all.

Fayne was brutal to start the year here. If you dont believe me ask Chia or TM, aka AHL demotion.

Sure hes been playing a bit better, but we need a top4 with a better player than Fayne in it.

The math guys are going to defend Fayne and cherry piick numbers to make their point because they all went to bat for Fayne due to his possession numbers and they hate being wrong.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Fayne was brutal to start the year here. If you dont believe me ask Chia or TM, aka AHL demotion.

Sure hes been playing a bit better, but we need a top4 with a better player than Fayne in it.

The math guys are going to defend Fayne and cherry piick numbers to make their point because they all went to bat for Fayne due to his possession numbers and they hate being wrong.

Cant disagree he was brutal to start, thats why I said last 20 games. Hes not in over his head right now at all playing top pairing. Hes far from ideal, but if he was on a contender with 3 good top 4 D and needed him to slide into the top 4, he probably could.

Hes an ideal bottom pairing reliable guy

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011

Id like to see next year

Sekera-XXX
Klefbom-xxx
Davidson-Fayne

I'd swap Sek and Klef

Klef-XXX
Sek-XXX
Davidson-Reinhart/Nurse/Ost

Fayne is good if he has a puck mover to defer to. Him and Sek together have been a big improvement. Sek looks a lot better seperated from Nurse. I think Fayne gets shipped out in a D package. What happens with Gryba? Chia signs him?

Haven't seen enough of the others that were brought in.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Cant disagree he was brutal to start, thats why I said last 20 games. Hes not in over his head right now at all playing top pairing. Hes far from ideal, but if he was on a contender with 3 good top 4 D and needed him to slide into the top 4, he probably could.

Hes an ideal bottom pairing reliable guy

It's more like the first 40 games. He was terrible for 25 games before the demotion, and terrible for a long stretch when he got back. A short stretch during seasonal garbage time when Cam Talbot is also playing his best hockey of the season, isn't a good indicator of his value going forward.

He's a butter soft defenseman who got complacent and lazy after he got his cushy contract. I would hope(and I suspect) that Chia is doing everything in his power to ship him out during the offseason.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Fayne was not brutal to start the year. He was not good but was rarely brutal.

His play was always at least a long step better than Schultz at its worst. The demotion worked out well for everyone and was deserved... just not as deserved as some made it out to be and no where near as much as others deserved it.

He was one bad player among many and has returned to form.

He makes a bit too much for what he brings but without doubt is our #1 right shooting d-man... sad as that may be.

Unless we get some better right shooting D I don't see him going anywhere.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It's more like the first 40 games. He was terrible for 25 games before the demotion, and terrible for a long stretch when he got back. A short stretch during seasonal garbage time when Cam Talbot is also playing his best hockey of the season, isn't a good indicator of his value going forward.

He's a butter soft defenseman who got complacent and lazy after he got his cushy contract. I would hope(and I suspect) that Chia is doing everything in his power to ship him out during the offseason.

This is a way over generalization. I remember people trying ot say Gryba was somehow better at start of seaosn. He wasnt. People get obessed with grit that it clouds judgement. Because Gryba hitz alot people drooled over him. And because Fayne plays a smart, efficient game and doesnt hit, he got grilled. Same exact thing happened with Petry. ut at the end of the day Oilers performed much better shots against wise when Fayne was on the ice. e was playing at #6 level then and deserved a demotion, but hes been nothing but solid playing toughest minutes since clal up, and then numbers with back that up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad