Post-Game Talk: Oilers 1 Sharks 0 - Oilers take 2-1 Series lead

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Eh. The Sharks ate the Oilers lunch for most of the first period because our third and fourth lines weren't strong enough down to handle the match-up, and on the road the Sharks can take advantage of that.

Draisaitl can slide back up for game 5.

Sharks are known to be a 10 minute team as McLellan has stated. That first period was just the result of a HOME TEAM playing their first playoff game with home team energy and their knack for playing well in the opening minutes of the game. I wouldn't read too much on line effectiveness when we know that that's a characteristic of the Sharks.

What we could do instead of looking at 1 period is to look at all 9 periods and notice how dominant that first line is STILL in these playoffs.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
But better defenseman do. He is an upgradeable position.

Look at the teams who win the SC. A better top 4 than us

Brodin?

another left shot shutdown RD like Russell..

is younger and is buddies with Klefbom. Not sure how much of an upgrade he would be though.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Serious question. What's the difference between our current 2-1 lead and the Sharks' 2-1 lead from 2006?

Other than different teams, coaches, NHL rules, officiating and really, everything else?

That series swung after Game 3 because Toskala went to ****.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Hate the consistent Kassian story as well. He was asked on after hours about it and went into detail. Campbell was the one asking him questions. That should have ended the indepth talks with him. Hes discussed it multiple times

its a great story and feel free to discuss it on air when hes not there. But leave the guy alone in interviews and keep bringing it up. Guy is having unreal playoffs, talk about that. Not a occurance a year ago or more that is obviously a dark moment

The Kassian story, with the Canadian media at least, should have ended with that After Hours segment. Campbell had him alone for 10 minutes to ask him whatever she wanted about it. She did and he answered every question. It was so uncomfortable and cringe worthy. Not sure what possible reason she could have for bringing it up again two weeks later unless she doesn't think anybody was watching After Hours or she doesn't believe she did a good enough job the first time. Either way, I've lost a lot of respect for her and I just think she's embarrassing now.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Sharks are known to be a 10 minute team as McLellan has stated. That first period was just the result of a HOME TEAM playing their first playoff game with home team energy and their knack for playing well in the opening minutes of the game. I wouldn't read too much on line effectiveness when we know that that's a characteristic of the Sharks.

What we could do instead of looking at 1 period is to look at all 9 periods and notice how dominant that first line is STILL in these playoffs.

He said it himself. McLellan hated the match-up and felt they needed to be stronger down the middle.

This is an adjustment he can make in-game at any time.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
But better defenseman do. He is an upgradeable position.

Look at the teams who win the SC. A better top 4 than us

All of our guys are in an 'up-gradable position'. Take a gander at what's available out there and how much it costs. Free-agents are expensive and we just improved our defense substantially in one calendar year with the help of this guy. This is the first time in Edmonton Andrej Sekera has looked like Andrej Sekera. You don't throw a wrench into that because he's 'up-gradable'. If you can sign him cheap, you do it.

Anyways, this is heading OT. Continue it in the rumors thread if need be.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Russell had the 2nd most TOI last night.
Lets keep his upgradability on hold til he actually falters.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
One Raffi Torres elbow to the head.

That's where I saw the series turning too. Sharks had no answer for the Oilers physical play after that. I honestly see the same thing in this series. Oilers have been pounding them for three games and constantly wearing them down. Sharks have had no answer for it this time either. That's what's different from being up 2-1 this time and trailing 2-1 last time. Anybody who doesn't see this probably belongs on the Sharks board where many there don't believe hitting has any effect on the teams or the games.:laugh:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
That's where I saw the series turning too. Sharks had no answer for the Oilers physical play after that. I honestly see the same thing in this series. Oilers have been pounding them for three games and constantly wearing them down. Sharks have had no answer for it this time either. That's what's different from being up 2-1 this time and trailing 2-1 last time. Anybody who doesn't see this probably belongs on the Sharks board where many there don't believe hitting has any effect on the teams or the games.:laugh:

"you are either with me or against me" ?

Sharks gave a good answer to the pounding they recieved in game 2 by hitting the crap out of Oilers in Game 3 period 1.
The difference from being up 2-1 and down 2-1 is one lucky bounce.

Lets not get carried away here.

Game 2 they couldnt take the pounding... Game 3 we proved that we could take the pounding and still hang on. We were not the ones pounding them in game 3 but were the survivors of SJ onslaught.

I know game 5 at home we will probably be pounding the crap out of them again but not sure what McLellan has in plans for tomorrow.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
We finally have 4 solid NHL d-men at the same time and people are already meh to one of them :shakehead Wouldn't throw Russell a blank cheque, but if he wants to stay for #4-5 tweener money or another short-term deal then make it so.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He said it himself. McLellan hated the match-up and felt they needed to be stronger down the middle.

This is an adjustment he can make in-game at any time.

He didn't necessarily say he hated the match up, he essentially said he just wanted to make an adjustment to see if the team would respond.

I am 100% sure the first line gets reunited for Game 4. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong. But you don't take 1 in game adjustment and ignore the previous 2 play off games and half a season of dominance by that first line.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
We finally have 4 solid NHL d-men at the same time and people are already meh to one of them :shakehead Wouldn't throw Russell a blank cheque, but if he wants to stay for #4-5 tweener money or another short-term deal then make it so.

I think "solidness" of Benning and Nurse factor in as well.. Both are gaining valuable experience these playoffs and both might be too good to be on the bottom pairing as early as next season. I would still hang onto Russell unless its a cant miss Dman.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think "solidness" of Benning and Nurse factor in as well.. Both are gaining valuable experience these playoffs and both might be too good to be on the bottom pairing as early as next season. I would still hang onto Russell unless its a cant miss Dman.

The upgrade is on Gryba in the off-season. Obviously Reinhart slides in if he's still here, but when you look at Pittsburgh their entire defense this season is built on cheap depth guys who've rebuilt their careers there. Personally I look at Cody Franson as a guy who can play some soft minutes and step in if need be.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The upgrade is on Gryba in the off-season. Obviously Reinhart slides in if he's still here, but when you look at Pittsburgh their entire defense this season is built on cheap depth guys who've rebuilt their careers there. Personally I look at Cody Franson as a guy who can play some soft minutes and step in if need be.
Gross... I would gladly hang onto Russell unless we are getting a legit top 3 Dman as a replacement.
Faulk being an example. Hamonic another and Vatanen as lowest end.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The Kassian story, with the Canadian media at least, should have ended with that After Hours segment. Campbell had him alone for 10 minutes to ask him whatever she wanted about it. She did and he answered every question. It was so uncomfortable and cringe worthy. Not sure what possible reason she could have for bringing it up again two weeks later unless she doesn't think anybody was watching After Hours or she doesn't believe she did a good enough job the first time. Either way, I've lost a lot of respect for her and I just think she's embarrassing now.

The only thing I could say in defense of Campbell is that she might only be asking what her producers are telling her to ask. It's not a stretch to think she's being prodded to ask Kassian uncomfortable questions like that to see if Zack will snap, which as distasteful as it would be would make for 'good TV' in their eyes.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Gross... I would gladly hang onto Russell unless we are getting a legit top 3 Dman as a replacement.
Faulk being an example. Hamonic another and Vatanen as lowest end.

Franson as a replacement for Gryba.

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning
Reinhart - Franson

Injuries happen and so does that sophomore thing. Franson is a 30 year old 6'5 guy good for 200 hits in a full year and has a bomb of a point shot. His career also happens to be on life support, so there's a good chance he'd sign on the cheap. The three guys you mentioned are absolute fantasies--expensive and completely unavailable.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
maybe if Kass told her that he owes his life to Chiarelli and will be singing for free next year she will be satisfied.

Sorry but Kassian is NOT an inspiration to his teammates.. most have been looking past his past for over a year on and treat him just like any other teammate instead of some reject refurbished by Chiarelli.

It looks like Calgary could use an anthem singer and the Eskimos are auditioned should Kassian be really good.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Updated playoff probabilities after today's games: <a href="https://t.co/gVvI7mXzAo">pic.twitter.com/gVvI7mXzAo</a></p>&mdash; Stephen Burtch (@SteveBurtch) <a href="https://twitter.com/SteveBurtch/status/853831057149489152">April 17, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Look at this guys. 20% chance at the cup?

i am just someone who can link?

this is the playoffs---we are all bringing our Kassian game

Kassian--e1463668473396.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad