Pre-Game Talk: Oil vs Preds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart Dunsparce*

I sure Love Yak, he gives me a really good vibe! Also, I was on the RNH bandwagon since day one, His stick lift and the way he can strip players from the puck is just uncanny, Selke material.
If he keeps developing his game the way he is, I can see a selke in his future.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm predicting a frustrating but close game: 3-2 Preds. Josi with a total of 10 cross checks to the back behind the net

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
I like them to win tonight. We have done well in Nashville over the years, the boys seem loose and Nashville is coming off a 3-game roadie. We all know a team returning home after a road trip is never put in a good spot.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
This Nashville team sure does look a lot different than in previous years....at least playing wise. Laviolette has a distinct coaching style that in my opinion is rather exciting. But I've only seen 1 Nahville game so far this year.

We'll see what tonight brings.

Go Oil.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
The oilers need to get the power play rolling if they want to win tonight. I think they will. 4-2 oilers

Unfortunately, the power play is the same as the regular offense, all around the outside.

No player/puck movement to create space and nobody wreaking havoc at the net = no powerplay.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Ebs has been coming on lately. I remember him playing pretty well in nashville. He'll have a good game tonight.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
IMO, we're looking at 3-1 or 2-0 Preds tonight.

Eakins is so in love with his system, we're going to play right into their strengths with the dump/cycle and let them set up their four-man wall on the inside.

It's one thing to win on the road playing this way vs. the worst team in the league and vs. a team so decimated on the defensive corps that they bring in old man Kaberle on a tryout; and vastly another vs. a bigger, tougher team who will pick up dumps, win battles on the wall and keep us from any decent scoring areas.

We've got to attack on the breakout before they set up to have any chance tonight, and I doubt we see that.

Saying the Rangers were 'decimated' is a bit of a stretch. They were missing McDonaugh and Boyle. They still had Staal, Klein, Hunwick and Girardi. That isn't great for them, but something a good team finds a way to overcome if they were truly facing an inferior opponent.

They still had their best player. We didn't have our best player. We were well rested. They had home ice advantage. Imo the excuses even out.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Fasth starting his 3rd in a row. Has he finally grabbed the #1 spot? Was the team horrible in Boston or was Scrivens just bad?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Their improvement over last year is a much better save %, which may not be sustainable.

Keep in mind they had Pekka Rinne injured/out for most of the season last year.

A perfect example of why I can't stand the unsustainable argument. People look at Sv% or S%, compare it to the league average, then boom, unsustainable.

To build on the Rinne factor, the Preds also have a deeper forward group, Jones and Ellis are a year older, Weber and Josi have another season of chemistry and are being used a ton, and Laviolette appears to have them firing on all cylinders (though I was always a fan of Trotz and think it has more to do with the roster upgrades).

This is a damn good team. I'll say 4-2 Preds and echo the sentiment from the Preds fan hoping no one gets injured.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
A perfect example of why I can't stand the unsustainable argument. People look at Sv% or S%, compare it to the league average, then boom, unsustainable.

A perfect example of why I can't stand reader incomprehension.

I said it "may not be sustainable". In fact, it may not be.

Both Rinne and Hutton have a save % of .935 this year.

Rinne's career average is .919 and and Hutton's is .911.

Suggesting some regression to their norm is not based on some mindless look at league averages but based on the lifetime averages of the goaltenders involved and the fact that the last goaltender who played 40 or more games who was able to maintain a save % at or better than .935% was Tim Thomas in 2110-2011.

The last team to do it? I've checked back 25 years and no one is on the list.

Certain stats have proven to be unsustainable over time. And a team save % of .935 likley is one of those stats.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I like them to win tonight. We have done well in Nashville over the years, the boys seem loose and Nashville is coming off a 3-game roadie. We all know a team returning home after a road trip is never put in a good spot.
Actually was a 6 game roadie. Haven't had a home game in 17 days. We went 4-2, but this is a clear trap game ripe for a letdown. Had a big win in St. Louis on Saturday and we're going right back up there again Thursday with this game randomly squeezed in between, against a team that traditionally gives us problems. Lavy's teams have to be very well-conditioned (and we seem to be) but this game gives me a bad feeling, and I'm very optimistic this year.

I think you guys win 3-1.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Fasth starting his 3rd in a row. Has he finally grabbed the #1 spot? Was the team horrible in Boston or was Scrivens just bad?

I was at the game in Boston. We just fell apart with 10 mins left. It was very frustrating and Nikitin has to share the blame for the loss.
The next night I went to the BU and BC played and I got to see Eichel and Hanifin. They are great consolation prizes to McDavid, Also, I was very impressed with Michel Matheson(Dman) and Ryan Fitzgerald(Forward). Both played for BC.

I thought Aulie played great as well for the Oilers. He stood up to Lucic one shift

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
I'm sorry. The Preds aren't one of the best in the west. It's been like 15 games. We will see if they can sustain there winning ways for an entire season,

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton

To build on the Rinne factor, the Preds also have a deeper forward group, Jones and Ellis are a year older, Weber and Josi have another season of chemistry and are being used a ton, and Laviolette appears to have them firing on all cylinders (though I was always a fan of Trotz and think it has more to do with the roster upgrades).

This is a damn good team. I'll say 4-2 Preds and echo the sentiment from the Preds fan hoping no one gets injured.

I said no such thing!

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Lol, do people still believe this crap. They have an extremely skilled defense core, elite goaltending and forward depth with a few higher end guys.

Nashville's a damn good team. It was cringe worthy seeing so many people write them off last game. I doubt we win this one, but it would be nice to get on a streak against the west so I could cheer wins again. That four game window was a very rare treat for Oiler fans.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
The last game actually has me quite excited for tonight's game. Good or bad, but this team seems to be very streaky. Hopefully they continue this good streak and it'll be interesting to see if many of these players can follow up what was their best game in ages.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
This is going to be a very tough one to win, especially without Hall. The Preds are legit this year and have wins against a lot of top teams. They always have amazing defense, plus the additions of Forsberg, Neal, Ribeiro really cement their offense. I just want to see the Oilers play a competitive game here. Wins against tough western teams like this will be extremely important to gain some confidence.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We were talking about their forward core.

Their team has always been about their back end and goaltending and that is still true.

Forsberg is their only forward who is particularly interesting.

They are, essentially, the opposite of the Oilers.

I used to say this but this lineup is for real. Preds now have a better forward lineup and one that makes more sense for the style they play. This preds team to me at least is a harder and more balanced lineup than I've ever seen in Nashville.

They're getting good performances from all the players as well. A lot of buy in is occurring in what seems like a cohesive dressingroom. Kind of sad for Trotz that the best Preds team ever happens when he's not there.

This Preds team are darkhorse to go deep. Built for playoffs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad