Oil Change not airing this year

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Does anyone else think this show was a really bad idea in hind sight? Imagine what kind of effect it had in the locker room to have that level of scrutiny, especially while trying to grind through the losses. Besides, all the K-lowe campaigns and media criticism (ie, CBC, TSN), the players probably didn't want to watch another episode and have to answer to the camera

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Does anyone else think this show was a really bad idea in hind sight? Imagine what kind of effect it had in the locker room to have that level of scrutiny, especially while trying to grind through the losses. Besides, all the K-lowe campaigns and media criticism (ie, CBC, TSN), the players probably didn't want to watch another episode and have to answer to the camera

I guess it can be spun both ways, but at the same time it's a great time capsule to have. As an Oilers fan I would kill to have this much footage of the 80s Oilers (sure we have some video specials but that's like 1-2 hours of footage at best) or even the late 90s Oilers that were more underdog style team.

I'm sure you probably would be interested in going back and seeing a similar doc of say the 89 or 2004 Flames. I probably would be interested in seeing that myself actually.

That said, for the sake of the team, it's probably not the worst idea to get it out of the locker room for a year.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I guess it can be spun both ways, but at the same time it's a great time capsule to have. As an Oilers fan I would kill to have this much footage of the 80s Oilers (sure we have some video specials but that's like 1-2 hours of footage at best) or even the late 90s Oilers that were more underdog style team.

I'm sure you probably would be interested in going back and seeing a similar doc of say the 89 or 2004 Flames. I probably would be interested in seeing that myself actually.

That said, for the sake of the team, it's probably not the worst idea to get it out of the locker room for a year.

Yeah its great entertainment for the fans I'm sure. But even in terms of attracting free agents and player relations, I would think most clubs would want their tough times to fly under the radar. I can think of that Eakins/Hall water bottle incident and think that maybe there was too much pressure in the locker room.

To be honest, I wouldn't watch the Flames version, even in 2004. I'm not that a big of a hockey fan. I don't even own cable; I try to stream to get my fix. But I'm probably the exception rather than the norm.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It all came off as a very bad marketing documentary. The longer the series went on without any improvement regarding the on ice product, the more of a joke that the whole show ended up looking like. Plus it was probably a big distraction to the players.

this. who cares about the inner workings, behind the scenes, of the most poorly run sports franchise on the continent (maybe the world for we know).

If was run like a soap opera, see the gong show up close, type of thing, then maybe I'd have watched.

Tell you the truth, if the show had started now, going forward, it might have worked.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I can just picture Gene Principe right now trying to come up with a pun: Oil "drop" series

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It was a good show but the team was such an embarrassment it just made it a complete joke.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I really liked the idea of the show but I couldn't help but think it would be a distraction for the team. Always be under that much scrutiny is just a bit more pressure in a situation that doesn't need it.

Very glad it's off. Hope this helps the team focus.

I Highly doubt there was any added pressure and scrutiny from it. The players know it was a production done for/by the Oilers so they aren't going to put anything out that makes them look bad thats not public.

I didn't watch it much if at all last season, it was all much of the same I guess. I find it interesting though, it would be nice if it came back when the Oilers turn the proverbial corner...

Gambl0r83*

Damn, 4 seasons of complete **** and they air that **** nationally
Next year, they're poised to push a wild card spot, due to new additions and all around maturity, and it's now they cut the show

Boo-urns

Jun 9, 2011
Next year, they're poised to push a wild card spot, due to new additions and all around maturity, and it's now they cut the show

Boo-urns
There are probably enough cameras running all the time that they can put together a documentary of some sort to celebrate any success.. but dammit I really wanted to see what happened on that trip into the woods that Ference arranged for the rookies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
When you are 'turrible' each and every year these things don't look good or end well. They will wait till the team actually does something of note.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
They should have filmed stuff over the five years and then produced some kind of feature series when the team actually got good. It's hard to make a documentary series about something that doesn't yet have a conclusion.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced

Boo-urns

I wouldn't hold my breath for that. Still incredibly thin at Centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad