Prospect Info: OHL Prospects' Review

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Always appreciate the insights Brock...you're always welcome on our board.
I'm hopeful Robert Thomas becomes the man in London next year and can challenge for the scoring title. If he can get to 25-30 goals, that would be a positive. He's still got a few years to work on his shot, and improve the release and accuracy...but if he doesn't, he could end up like Scott Gomez (the MTL/STL version) and that would be disappointing.

Guess Phil Helt can be thrown on the heap of Euro-draft-picks that became nothing for STL. Whatever...the odds were long to start with.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
https://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017/07/31-teams-in-31-days-st-louis-blues.html

As is the annual tradition, I review the progress and provide prognostication for each NHL team's OHL prospects.

Today is St. Louis.

As always, happy to answer any questions.

Thanks, Brock. Always appreciate your perspective.

I've got a question about Kyrou and Thomas. Which one do you think will end up having the better career when it's all said and done? How do you project the two in the NHL in terms of their likely contribution, position they'll likely play, etc? Both seem pretty skilled but certainly have different strengths and weaknesses.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Always appreciate the insights Brock...you're always welcome on our board.
I'm hopeful Robert Thomas becomes the man in London next year and can challenge for the scoring title. If he can get to 25-30 goals, that would be a positive. He's still got a few years to work on his shot, and improve the release and accuracy...but if he doesn't, he could end up like Scott Gomez (the MTL/STL version) and that would be disappointing.

Guess Phil Helt can be thrown on the heap of Euro-draft-picks that became nothing for STL. Whatever...the odds were long to start with.

The thing Thomas has that Gomez didn't is good 2-way ability. Gomez was a total defensive liability every second he was with us. He was either given a top 6-completely offensively sheltered role or he couldn't play. Yet, he wasn't good enough offensively to justify such a role. So he was caught in a no man's land between the two. Better offensively due to his playmaking ability than an average 3rd liner, but not good enough to be worth the defensive risk. Even if Thomas doesn't develop a great shot, he may still have some upside in a defensive role that can occasionally score due to superior playmaking. Don't get me wrong, I hope his shot develops, but that is the difference. Kyrou, who also has a crap shot, is more at risk to fall into the Gomez situation than Thomas, IMO, because he also really struggles on the defensive end.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thanks, Brock. Always appreciate your perspective.

I've got a question about Kyrou and Thomas. Which one do you think will end up having the better career when it's all said and done? How do you project the two in the NHL in terms of their likely contribution, position they'll likely play, etc? Both seem pretty skilled but certainly have different strengths and weaknesses.

Tough question.

I think Kyrou has the higher upside, but also the bigger "bust" potential. He needs to continue to improve his play in traffic and really upgrade his two-way game to be a quality top six forward.

Where as Thomas is already a very defensively aware player. His NHL potential is reliant on his ability to improve his shot IMO.

Best case scenario, I think you've Kyrou as a first line forward. He's certainly skilled and quick enough. And then Thomas as a quality 2nd line center. I don't think Thomas projects much differently than a guy like Paul Stastny. Where as Kyrou could become a Tyler Johnson, Claude Giroux type.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Tough question.

I think Kyrou has the higher upside, but also the bigger "bust" potential. He needs to continue to improve his play in traffic and really upgrade his two-way game to be a quality top six forward.

Where as Thomas is already a very defensively aware player. His NHL potential is reliant on his ability to improve his shot IMO.

Best case scenario, I think you've Kyrou as a first line forward. He's certainly skilled and quick enough. And then Thomas as a quality 2nd line center. I don't think Thomas projects much differently than a guy like Paul Stastny. Where as Kyrou could become a Tyler Johnson, Claude Giroux type.

Thanks. I currently like Thomas a little better as he seems like a safer bet but I'll have to agree Kyrou is quite talented. And fast. I would look forward to your thoughts on these two a few months into the season.

Robby Fabbri

May 3, 2017
Thanks Brock.

On toropchenko I have read where he could be a steal by Blues like Kostin. Is their a player you compare him to style wise and talent wise?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Realize I might have missed the boat, but if you're still around Brock, I was would love to hear your thoughts on Evan Fitzpatrick. Regardless, thanks as always!

EDIT: also, do you see a professional future for Stephen Dhillon? I was really impressed by his season last year, but guess NHL scouts were not...

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Realize I might have missed the boat, but if you're still around Brock, I was would love to hear your thoughts on Evan Fitzpatrick. Regardless, thanks as always!

EDIT: also, do you see a professional future for Stephen Dhillon? I was really impressed by his season last year, but guess NHL scouts were not...

Evan is a QMJHL prospect, not sure Brock's got a lot to say about him unless he got a good look while Fitz was backstopping at the WJC U18s a few years back.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Evan is a QMJHL prospect, not sure Brock's got a lot to say about him unless he got a good look while Fitz was backstopping at the WJC U18s a few years back.

Whoops, correct you are. Nevermind on Fitzpatrick, total brain fart. Still interested in hearing more on Dhillon tho. I believe he got an invite to the pens development camp but haven't heard of much since.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

Correct on Fitzgerald.

On Dhillon...

I had him ranked as the top re-entry from the OHL heading into the draft (http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017/04/sunday-top-10-2017-nhl-draft-re-entries.html). Was shocked that the didn't get drafted this time around. Probably one of the only times the top player on that annual list that I do, didn't get drafted.

Big kid, competed hard all year for a rebuilding Niagara team. Kept them in most games and was one of the main reasons they made the playoffs. Has great size and athleticism. Really does a great job as a "blocker/stopper" in the sense that he takes away the bottom really well and makes himself big. But has some technical things to work on, like rebound control, positioning, reads, glove hand, etc. But the way I see it, what junior goalie doesn't have these things to work on?

He'll be the starter for a Niagara team that could be the cream of the Eastern Conference within two years. And if he continues to perform well, he'll get his pro shot...without a doubt.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Hey Brock, I know there's a whole year of hockey to play but, assuming the Blues have a good year and pick in the mid-20's of the draft, who do you see from the OHL as potentially in that range this year?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Hey Brock, I know there's a whole year of hockey to play but, assuming the Blues have a good year and pick in the mid-20's of the draft, who do you see from the OHL as potentially in that range this year?

Blues traded their 2018 1st in the Schenn deal.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Really? You would? I've never seen you dislike Berglund before.

Yeah, I'm big fan of Berglund. I even have Berglund Swerige jersey.

But I would move Berglund right away if we get back 1st (+). Moving Berglund doesn't have to anything liking or not liking him. More like getting youngsters get icetimd top9 and release his horrendous contract away. Which in my mind is going to problem in future. I think these post belongs to trade thread and not here.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Yeah, I'm big fan of Berglund. I even have Berglund Swerige jersey.

But I would move Berglund right away if we get back 1st (+). Moving Berglund doesn't have to anything liking or not liking him. More like getting youngsters get icetimd top9 and release his horrendous contract away. Which in my mind is going to problem in future. I think these post belongs to trade thread and not here.

Berglund's contract is NOT "horrendous". It is about right for his abilities. But I'd also trade Berglund at this season's trade deadline for a 1st Rounder, IF it were within the top 17 or so choices.

By the way, if I were you, I'd get a "Sverige" jersey. One that is spelt: "Swerige" is bound to be a bootleg! Jag skulle gissat att du kunna Svenska läsa!! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad