OHL Gold Cup U16 Tournament May 9-12 Kitchener

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Did they find a team for Sean Day? Is Conner McDavid on one of the teams? or does he make the U17 team without a tryout?

Racer14

Always Watching
May 16, 2011
glad christian dedonato made it, still cant believe he was available in the 12th round, hes got some serious offensive talent and keeps getting stronger since his season ended. Next year i bet he plays tier II and does well.

I know you are a YSE guy

but size and feet are hard to overlook. lots of offensive potential and a good first pass. He will be a very good tier 2 player in the slower game, but thats all. Forwards turned the corner on him all year.

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
I know you are a YSE guy

but size and feet are hard to overlook. lots of offensive potential and a good first pass. He will be a very good tier 2 player in the slower game, but thats all. Forwards turned the corner on him all year.

Yes i agree i see him as a solid tier 2 player in a couple years maybe getting a scholarship to a decent school. I know he is working on ice with a skating instructor working on using his hips and core more skating. Hopefully it works out for him. Im not trying to boost him I just was glad to see him make the team and glad he is trying to improve.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Did they find a team for Sean Day? Is Conner McDavid on one of the teams? or does he make the U17 team without a tryout?

McDavid playing in a tournament for '97's after he dominated NHL draft eligible prospects from around the world at the U-18's would make very little sense, from my vantage point.

If (and it's a big if) he's not playing in the World Junior's, It would be interesting to see if he plays in U-17's, considering he'll have already played in the U-18's and most likely will be playing in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial. Would seem kind of odd for him to jump back down to the U-17's.

As for Day, I am guessing he's not playing this weekend, as I am sure we would have heard something.

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
After my post dedonato had 2 assists and was named game MVP for team omha white: congrats to him

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
After my post dedonato had 2 assists and was named game MVP for team omha white: congrats to him

Im not surprised. We talked about him a few times this year. 12th round for Christian Dedonato is an oversight by 20 teams in the OHL. If there was one thing he could work on, it would be skating speed. I think he was one of the most under-rated puck moving defenseman in the 97 class. Good on the PP, good decision maker, good puck rusher, smart hockey player. I would have taken Dedonato in the 4-6th round territory.

I stand by Tristen Liggett (Waterloo Wolves) and his potential. Its a joke that Liggett went undrafted. In my eyes he should have been in the 4th or 5th round. It makes no sense. He is 6-4 and is mobile, especially backwards. Matt McConnach in the 15th round makes zero sense, Im not 100% sure if he is considering NCAA, thats all I can think of for his drop in the draft.

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
Im not surprised. We talked about him a few times this year. 12th round for Christian Dedonato is an oversight by 20 teams in the OHL. If there was one thing he could work on, it would be skating speed. I think he was one of the most under-rated puck moving defenseman in the 97 class. Good on the PP, good decision maker, good puck rusher, smart hockey player. I would have taken Dedonato in the 4-6th round territory.

I stand by Tristen Liggett (Waterloo Wolves) and his potential. Its a joke that Liggett went undrafted. In my eyes he should have been in the 4th or 5th round. It makes no sense. He is 6-4 and is mobile, especially backwards. Matt McConnach in the 15th round makes zero sense, Im not 100% sure if he is considering NCAA, thats all I can think of for his drop in the draft.
DeDonato was a Bulls pick, there will be plenty of roster spots available come training camp with only 3 returning d-men.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
DeDonato was a Bulls pick, there will be plenty of roster spots available come training camp with only 3 returning d-men.

I think he needs a year to develop further. But there is lots to be happy about with Dedonato. At the OHL cup on the OHL size rink, to me, Dedonato appeared to have average speed, it was quite noticeable on that surface. Once this improves a little bit, he should be able to contend for an OHL roster spot. He played a big role on YSE, a team that over-achieved and outworked teams. I think he is a smart under-rated hockey player.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If u look at the Top Dmen drafted in the OHL this year in order. The ones who could skate away from pressure went early. Im not totally convinced Capobianco, Lemcke or Saban have elite top speed/explosive start, that all those others do but they do have other assets they bring to the table. I do believe those 3 were taken to early in the draft. Capobianco is smooth and effortless, Saban moves well for a player his size, Lemcke same thing, but at this point I dont think they could beat Wilkie, White, Vande Sompel, Mcfadden, Day, Spencer in a race. Henley and him would be close in my eyes.

#3 Spencer, #4 Day, #7 Capobianco, #12 Mcfadden, #14 Vande Sompel, #18 Lemcke, #20 Henley, #21 Saban, #22 Colton White, #29 Zach Wilkie.

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
Well I know he is working on his skating with one on one sessions through out the week. And at least with me he is working on some strength and conditioning (most strength) but i just like the kid and hope he does well. Its awesome to see small improvements here and there with players and their development even if it is something small.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well I know he is working on his skating with one on one sessions through out the week. And at least with me he is working on some strength and conditioning (most strength) but i just like the kid and hope he does well. Its awesome to see small improvements here and there with players and their development even if it is something small.

Good to hear and good job. Its hard to not pull for the nice, humble, polite kids who work hard. Keep up the good work with all the kids your training, taking them to the next level. ;)

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009

Agree 100%.

Liggett should have gone in the mid rounds just based on his size and raw potential

McConnach, if I am correct, played in the mid season GTHL Prospects game, and to go in the last round, is unheard of.

I think this year, as a dman, if you didnt go in the first 5 rounds, then you were in trouble. Rounds 6-10 seem to be all "flyers" and US kids, and then from rounds 10-15 were favours. So, I guess thats why Liggett, McConnach, Cho didnt get their respect.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
If u look at the Top Dmen drafted in the OHL this year in order. The ones who could skate away from pressure went early. Im not totally convinced Capobianco, Lemcke or Saban have elite top speed/explosive start, that all those others do but they do have other assets they bring to the table. I do believe those 3 were taken to early in the draft. Capobianco is smooth and effortless, Saban moves well for a player his size, Lemcke same thing, but at this point I dont think they could beat Wilkie, White, Vande Sompel, Mcfadden, Day, Spencer in a race. Henley and him would be close in my eyes.

#3 Spencer, #4 Day, #7 Capobianco, #12 Mcfadden, #14 Vande Sompel, #18 Lemcke, #20 Henley, #21 Saban, #22 Colton White, #29 Zach Wilkie.

I hear that Saban and McDavid are best of friends, Lemcke will grow to about 7', based on his parent's sizes, but Capobianco to Sudbury?? Dont get it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
ohlgoldcup.com has a schedule where games can be found with box scores showing stats for those interested. Good hockey. Watched two games yesterday.

JLowery

Mar 3, 2013
I hear that Saban and McDavid are best of friends, Lemcke will grow to about 7', based on his parent's sizes, but Capobianco to Sudbury?? Dont get it.
Believe this to be true, certainly strings were pulled. Agree on Capobianco to Wolves, agent pushing top 10 status possibly? Imo should have gone in round 2. Henley picked at 20 had to be planned. Should have gone in place of Capobianco or McFadden. McFadden? To Guelph? What was in their coffee? I like his style of play but not as a 1st rounder, just mo.:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad