OHL DRAFT STEALS

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
This is an interesting thread to say the least. To define who won or lost the draft is an interesting topic.

At this point in time I'd say no one has won or lost in the draft, but more so that each team has interesting and promising prospects for the fall training camps. To look at it from a more realistic perspective the team that yields the most players out of it in the next 3 seasons will tell you who had the better draft.

This is not because I don't believe that there wasnt good players pick yesterday but more to the simple fact that the league restricts underage players to 3 any given year so to full see who had the better draft choices won't be seen till training camp 2021.

Sure there will be players this year that will be immediate impact in their clubs and the league but to properly gage a teams draft class usually takes 2 training camps to see what they truly have. On paper every team should have a decent draft class every year, but it will more be when these guys are in training camps and pre-season games that will define who had the better draft class. Right now every team has some level of talent that will be coming into the league in some way this coming fall.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
I don't want to chime in on whether they won or lost but I like what the Icedogs accomplished without having many upper round selections. They chose two puck moving defencemen that are responsible in their own end and one of the top goalies in the draft. Those were two areas of need after moving Lleyton Moore and Billy Constantinou this year in trades and losing Dhillon after this year. Wouldn't be surprised if we move Thomas and Tomasino this year to restock the shelves with draft picks for upcoming drafts.

Reactions: three dog night

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I can cover the entire Sudbury forum here. Wolves fans who like Papineau think we're draft winners, Wolves fans who don't like Papineau think we're draft losers. Guess we'll have to wait and see, lol.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
This is an interesting thread to say the least. To define who won or lost the draft is an interesting topic.

At this point in time I'd say no one has won or lost in the draft, but more so that each team has interesting and promising prospects for the fall training camps. To look at it from a more realistic perspective the team that yields the most players out of it in the next 3 seasons will tell you who had the better draft.

This is not because I don't believe that there wasnt good players pick yesterday but more to the simple fact that the league restricts underage players to 3 any given year so to full see who had the better draft choices won't be seen till training camp 2021.

Sure there will be players this year that will be immediate impact in their clubs and the league but to properly gage a teams draft class usually takes 2 training camps to see what they truly have. On paper every team should have a decent draft class every year, but it will more be when these guys are in training camps and pre-season games that will define who had the better draft class. Right now every team has some level of talent that will be coming into the league in some way this coming fall.

Ok then. How's about opinions on who the winners and losers were for the 2017 draft?
;)

Reactions: dirty12

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I never who said who lost the draft! I stated which team you think came out on the disappointing end. Meaning picked players to high according to several scouting outlets. And for those teams who got players later who maybe should have been 1st and 2nd round prospects based on their rankings and statistics and play in the OHL Cup, performance at the combine etc...

Tough crowd!

WJ

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I never who said who lost the draft! I stated which team you think came out on the disappointing end. Meaning picked players to high according to several scouting outlets. And for those teams who got players later who maybe should have been 1st and 2nd round prospects based on their rankings and statistics and play in the OHL Cup, performance at the combine etc...

Tough crowd!

WJ

Let's rephrase the simple fact Jack, you ask the question in your thread header on who came out the winners and losers of the draft yesterday, meaning that you're asking the question that you believe that there was some level of success and some level of failure.

I simple stated that and believe like other on this thread that agents of kids and in this case the Soo Greyhounds who won the draft two years ago. Looking at the the who draft from that long ago they currently have the most active players on their roster from that particular draft year.

If you were to stated a thread that was based on who's had the better success rate based upon scouting reports at the draft then I'm sure the answer would be different.

Your thread is misleading and to get to the point of the question your asking is entirely different from what information you're looking for. If you asked the question your truly looking for which is what team had the better success rate based of the scouting reports? Then the answer would be entirely different.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
At the moment the Soo Greyhounds who currently have 7 drafted players from 2017 in their active lineup from that draft class lead the way.

Kingston has 9, including 7 selected in the first 3 rounds.
pick draft winners & losers right after the draft; or, grade a team’s draft class when 19, imo.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
since everyone else is being so tough,

I think Kitchener took a big risk on Roman Schmidt, but if it pays out, this will be one of their best drafts by default by getting Schmidt at 36 and Pinelli at 13. 4th rounders Simon Motew, Jesse Fishman and Mitchell Martin all sound like promising OHL players eventually and their 6th round pick Justin Wu won goalie of the tournament at OHL Cup.

All in all a decent draft for a team without a 3rd or 5th round pick. even better if Schmidt comes

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
At first glance, I thought that the Kitchener Rangers were both smart and lucky to get Pinelli at 13 and Schmidt at 36. Both players were considered top 10 talents by many.

I won't say who won our lost, but I think the teams that got these picks are going to be very pleased. I expected all of them to go higher.

21. Jack Matier (Ott)
27. Francesco Arcuri (Kgn)
30. Josh Bloom (Sag)
33. Logan Mailloux (Ldn)
59. Marc Boudreau (SSM)

Others like Saganiuk to Erie and Duke to Saginaw could be nice pickups, but only if they sign. It's risky to use a high pick on them.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
At first glance, I thought that the Kitchener Rangers were both smart and lucky to get Pinelli at 13 and Schmidt at 36. Both players were considered top 10 talents by many.

I won't say who won our lost, but I think the teams that got these picks are going to be very pleased. I expected all of them to go higher.

21. Jack Matier (Ott)
27. Francesco Arcuri (Kgn)
30. Josh Bloom (Sag)
33. Logan Mailloux (Ldn)
59. Marc Boudreau (SSM)

Others like Saganiuk to Erie and Duke to Saginaw could be nice pickups, but only if they sign. It's risky to use a high pick on them.

Will be interesting as an Erie fan to see what happens to Saganiuk who is also considered to be a top 10-15 talent. It’s not that shocking they used a 2nd on him when he has no college commit, unlike Schmidt. Dave Brown just made comments yesterday that basically said “no doubt in my mind that he (Saganiuk) will play in this league” so take that for what it’s worth. The kid has been playing 80 minutes away from Erie the last 2 years so Brown and the staff were close

It’s always a big question but if they did sign Saganiuk, Erie did darn freaking good in the draft

Reactions: MasterMatt25

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
At the moment the Soo Greyhounds who currently have 7 drafted players from 2017 in their active lineup from that draft class lead the way.

Rangers have five.

Ladd (Now in Windsor)
Vukojovic
Petizian
Tresoor
Dickerson.

Ladd, Vukojevic,and Petizian are solid OHLers

Tresoor and Dickerson will be bubble players in September.

I didn't even include Gordon because even though he is on our roster, he's not in our plans and likely won't be picked up by another OHL team

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
What players shouldn’t have got drafted? Or what players were taken too high? I think Arnsby was taken too early. Sorry.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
By all accounts, it looks like the 67’s did very well. Matter will be a mainstay on the blueline very soon. He was projected a little higher than 21st. Both Beck and Sirizzotti were solid pickups mid-2nd round.

They picked up Wilmer in the 8th round. The kid had 50 goals and 123 points this season and was rated a top 10 pick but he has a BU commitment and an NDTP commitment for the next two years so I doubt he passes on it. If he does, it would be a huge get.

They managed to get a couple more American kids in middle rounds that look signabe. We’ll see.

All in all a pretty solid draft for Ottawa. This would be three solid ones in a row if it pans out as predicted.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What players shouldn’t have got drafted? Or what players were taken too high? I think Arnsby was taken too early. Sorry.

Of all the apparent reaches and possible no shows, you single out a player that went right where he was expected to; why?

Reactions: AnonymousHockey

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
I thought his ranking was too high.
Due to on ice viewings? Please expand as many credible scouting services had him placed exactly where he went, 9th.
As a NB fan I thought we did well this draft but hearing first round reach from anywhere makes me feel like it’s Groundhog Day lol

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
Due to on ice viewings? Please expand as many credible scouting services had him placed exactly where he went, 9th.
As a NB fan I thought we did well this draft but hearing first round reach from anywhere makes me feel like it’s Groundhog Day lol

Yes. Take a step back for a second a look who went after him.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Yes. Take a step back for a second a look who went after him.

i’m sure players reporting is an issue in North Bay. they took hometown Pacey Schlueting last year with Lleyton Moore still on the board. I know of at least 2 forwards that went after Arnsby that were saying no to other teams and no offence, but I can see why North Bay would be one of them

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
..reading where Petes #1 is playing hard to get..something about his agent dodging Peterboro….any others not reporting?

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
..reading where Petes #1 is playing hard to get..something about his agent dodging Peterboro….any others not reporting?

johnston not going to windsor . pinelli agent played games with windsor. harrison agent played games with missy. clarke agent said no to erie and flint clarke grandparents live in barrie. working on more info

Most interesting to me were all the "ncaa commits" stillman, del monte cato sherk (to name some) that teams passed on due to agents saying "absolutely not coming to ohl" and ended up going to teams that made sense (dad coach, proximity to home etc)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
johnston not going to windsor . pinelli agent played games with windsor. harrison agent played games with missy. clarke agent said no to erie and flint clarke grandparents live in barrie. working on more info

Most interesting to me were all the "ncaa commits" stillman, del monte cato sherk (to name some) that teams passed on due to agents saying "absolutely not coming to ohl" and ended up going to teams that made sense (dad coach, proximity to home etc)

Seems prettty standard, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad