OHL DRAFT STEALS

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
..reading where Petes #1 is playing hard to get..something about his agent dodging Peterboro….any others not reporting?

Word is Newport Sports want clients to be as far away from Ryan Merkley (ex-client) as possible. MacTavish is a Newport Sports client.

johnston not going to windsor . pinelli agent played games with windsor. harrison agent played games with missy. clarke agent said no to erie and flint clarke grandparents live in barrie. working on more info

Most interesting to me were all the "ncaa commits" stillman, del monte cato sherk (to name some) that teams passed on due to agents saying "absolutely not coming to ohl" and ended up going to teams that made sense (dad coach, proximity to home etc)

Johnston not going to Windsor? Haven't heard this yet. Pinelli I did hear, seems quite happy in Kitchener.

Zhilkin seems ecstatic to be a Guelph Storm.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Word is Newport Sports want clients to be as far away from Ryan Merkley (ex-client) as possible. MacTavish is a Newport Sports client.

Johnston not going to Windsor? Haven't heard this yet. Pinelli I did hear, seems quite happy in Kitchener.

Zhilkin seems ecstatic to be a Guelph Storm.
There is an article in Windsor star says same

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
By all accounts, it looks like the 67’s did very well. Matter will be a mainstay on the blueline very soon. He was projected a little higher than 21st. Both Beck and Sirizzotti were solid pickups mid-2nd round.

They picked up Wilmer in the 8th round. The kid had 50 goals and 123 points this season and was rated a top 10 pick but he has a BU commitment and an NDTP commitment for the next two years so I doubt he passes on it. If he does, it would be a huge get.

They managed to get a couple more American kids in middle rounds that look signabe. We’ll see.

All in all a pretty solid draft for Ottawa. This would be three solid ones in a row if it pans out as predicted.

Matier was projected second or third round by most people, but I've seen a lot of him and I think it was an excellent pickup. These online scout websites are always too low on Northern players.

Reactions: Bird dog

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
johnston not going to windsor . pinelli agent played games with windsor. harrison agent played games with missy. clarke agent said no to erie and flint clarke grandparents live in barrie. working on more info

Most interesting to me were all the "ncaa commits" stillman, del monte cato sherk (to name some) that teams passed on due to agents saying "absolutely not coming to ohl" and ended up going to teams that made sense (dad coach, proximity to home etc)
from what I heard around Erie, Erie never intended to go defense at 3 overall. They simply were not going to do that in back-to-back year in the top 4 of the draft. They were never taking Clarke regardless of if he said yes or no. Brown felt a significant need was adding scoring and skill to the forward group and that is evident just watching this team. So in other words, whether Clarke said yes or no to erie..he was still falling to barrie at 4. If you are just assuming he fell to 4 only because of his choice, I think thats off base.

Reactions: AnonymousHockey

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Not saying its a steal but gettig Sirizzotti at 31 was surprising to me considering his elite numbers. The steal for me for Ottawa might be Ranvir Gill in the fourth. With our loaded D won't see him for two years but we'll see.

Reactions: ottersguy

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
At the moment the Soo Greyhounds who currently have 7 drafted players from 2017 in their active lineup from that draft class lead the way.
I think you meant to say we have 7 that we drafted that year in our lineup. We have an 8th in our lineup that Sudbury drafted (Wawrow). We also have an 8th that we drafted playing for Erie (Fowler).

Kingston has 9, including 7 selected in the first 3 rounds.
6 of the 9 were not drafted by Kingston. Certainly an impressive 2001 group on Kingston's roster, but I think we are talking about a team's effectiveness at drafting, aren't we?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not that many no, not normal but if you’re saying normal as in agents selling snake oil I guess you’re right lol

The latter is what I was referring to. Seems standard. Even post draft there will be jockeying, mostly for compensation etc...

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Matier was projected second or third round by most people, but I've seen a lot of him and I think it was an excellent pickup. These online scout websites are always too low on Northern players.
For me, he raised his stock immensely at OHL Cup. I stuck him in my top 5 D (non ncaa committed) at that point

Reactions: dirty12

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
The latter is what I was referring to. Seems standard. Even post draft there will be jockeying, mostly for compensation etc...
Yeah you’re right it just seems like it’s time to stop agents and their BS I personally know of 2 cases where the family wasn’t even aware the agent the night prior to the draft was trying to get their kid to a certain team without their knowledge! That’s just plain corruption

Reactions: Noofgoof

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah you’re right it just seems like it’s time to stop agents and their BS I personally know of 2 cases where the family wasn’t even aware the agent the night prior to the draft was trying to get their kid to a certain team without their knowledge! That’s just plain corruption

It sort of depends. I would assume the agent and parents discussed 'desired' and the agent was working on their behalf based on those desires Moreno than actual destination. Most of those desires is compensation based.

I don't want to get into the compensation argument but some teams are more willing to play ball than others and I'm not talking about education related compensation.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
It sort of depends. I would assume the agent and parents discussed 'desired' and the agent was working on their behalf based on those desires Moreno than actual destination. Most of those desires is compensation based.

I don't want to get into the compensation argument but some teams are more willing to play ball than others and I'm not talking about education related compensation.
yes very true indeed

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

Yup they sure don’t have extra for that kind of shananigans omg!

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Red Savage plays in a Wolves uniform Sudbury gets a steal out of the 6th. If he doesn’t ever report you have to wonder why they used a decent pick on a gamble. Maybe a later pick would have been better but you would think in the 6th you can still get a good player who may play in two years. Time will tell if Papineau and Brian who may have played hockey together back in their day may have had some discussions before the draft.

WJ

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Players fall for a number of reasons in the OHL draft.
1. Resistance to report to certain clubs
2. Player is considering NCAA options and can't give a definitive "I will sign/report" option
3. Agent relationships with particular teams can muddy the waters
4. Off ice issues

90% of the time a player who people feel "fell" can be categorized into one of the above categories

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I had Guryev going in the first rnd I know we got him first pick of second but still very happy with that
Yes great grab for Petes in Guryev where they got him also love the Cole Patey pick 6th round 43pts only 6pts off pace of Avon their 1st rounder and 2pts ahead of Oshawas 2nd round pick Michaud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad